Cooper ATP vs. Falken A/T3W

Hi guys and gals.  I have been searching the forum for topics like this and there is a bunch of great info out there, however, I am looking to see if there are any individuals out there who seriously considered both the Cooper and the Falken tire.  The Falken is a little cheaper but I have heard some reviewers have had a bad experience with treadwear and others with the Cooper have reported issues with "noise", all relative I suppose when the tire wears down a bit. 

I really like the look of both tires and am really conflicted on which to choose. I had Nitto TerraGrapplers in the past but they are a little pricey for me right now.  I would be considering 275/55/20 and 285/55/20.  I like the look of a more square look as I will be mounting them on the stock 20's on my 2016 GMC Sierra 1500 All Terrain.

Thanks!

Falken Wildpeak AT3W 

Had these on my truck for 25k or so now.  Excellent performance in wet weather. Same for dry traction.

IMG_20170706_192028.jpg

Edited by btj_z71

I don't have any experience with the Falken tire, but I'm running a Cooper Discoverer AT3 (LT285/60R20) currently and other than the weight of the tire, I've been pleased with it's performance.

Going from a Toyo Open Country P275/60R20 to the LT tire made for a stiffer ride but the overall traction has been good in all conditions I've encountered.  I tow a 30' Tri-Toon up a steep ramp and they do better than the Toyo's do.  I rarely have to use 4WD, where as with the Toyo's it was a given that just getting out of the water I needed 4WD.

• Like 1

Can’t say anything about the coopers but i really like my Wildpeaks. I had terra grapplers on my ram and hated them.

Dry and wet traction are wonderful in the at3w, no comment on snow as i am in FL. Quieter than the terra grapplers and handle the road much better for an AT tire. The terra grapplers felt very floaty on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just put on brand new Cooper AT3's. What an improvement over the OEM tires! I don't think you can go wrong with either of your choices, but I'm a fan of Coopers. This is my 3rd set of brand new ones and I like them enough to keep buying more.

Boy, I just went through this exact same thing (although a different size).  No offense to those who like the Falken's, but my experience w/ the Falken tires was terrible, although probably not typical.  See the post linked below.

Edited by OldBlue61
Spelling, d'oh!

Not on my truck, but on my car for the first time I bought Cooper instead of Michelin.  I am very impressed with the Coopers.  Michelins are great tires, but they're getting pricey for me.  When I need tires for the truck, only at 9k miles so far, I will likely buy Cooper, but the Falkens based on this thread have me intrigued.

Thank you for all of the reply's.  Has anyone  had any comments on what it takes to balance the Falken's.  I have read that others have had a hard time balancing them... They really do look like an agressive tire!  Anyone have any comments as to XL vs. LT rating?  I dont need a 10 ply E rated tire but I also don't want something that is to soft.

Thank you for all of the reply's.  Has anyone  had any comments on what it takes to balance the Falken's.  I have read that others have had a hard time balancing them... They really do look like an agressive tire!  Anyone have any comments as to XL vs. LT rating?  I dont need a 10 ply E rated tire but I also don't want something that is to soft.

Mine took 2 times to balance, but they run out very smooth now. You do not need a 10ply, XL is the answer for this truck i think. I had LT tires on my ram and it rode like trash, just too much tire for a 5500 lb truck. They weighed 60lbs too, compared to a stock tire that was 40

I tow a 6000lb car Hauler with the XL AT3w’s and they handle it well. I bump the rears to 40 when towing. They are nice and firm.

f717a1f5a0aeb97c353c59058def8754.jpg

12 minutes ago, Move Over said:

Mine took 2 times to balance, but they run out very smooth now. You do not need a 10ply, XL is the answer for this truck i think. I had LT tires on my ram and it rode like trash, just too much tire for a 5500 lb truck. They weighed 60lbs too, compared to a stock tire that was 40

I tow a 6000lb car Hauler with the XL AT3w’s and they handle it well. I bump the rears to 40 when towing. They are nice and firm.

f717a1f5a0aeb97c353c59058def8754.jpg

Thank you!  Very constructive comments!

Thank you!  Very constructive comments!

No problem, I’ve made many mistakes when buying tires and try to help out where it’s due.

I will say that the stock size at3w is about 5lbs heavier than the stock tire. It weighed 46 on my bathroom scale and stock tire was 41.