Tool chest combo

I've accumulated many tools over the decades through DIY initiatives and inheritance.  I consider myself to be a better than average "handyman" and take pride in my tool assortment.  I am looking to consolidate and perhaps downsize my collection.   My length of time on this planet is preventing me from tackling many of the larger tasks but still like to take on smaller and challenging projects.  I don't have to pay myself labour rates so I can spend time fixing things that would otherwise not be worth saving!   I am not alone in the handy baby-boomer field and am looking for recommendations for tool chests.  I am looking at >40" and <50" too chest combos to replace two older 26" combo's and various bins.  The plan is to sort/sell/toss my way to one reasonably sized cabinet.  I am currently attracted to the Costco Kirkland Red Line 43" combo but believe the Husky 42" will meet my needs at a slightly lower price.  The Milwaukee 46" has some brand and quality appeal but not worth considering unless I can purchase for a price similar to the others.  Many of you are ahead of me facing this challenge and I am looking for advice!  My wife often offers to "help" but you can guess her preferred solution! ;-)

Look for one with some narrow (height) drawers. 2" plus deep drawers for pliers or wrenches is just a waste of space. I had a Dewalt combo at home and found that the giant top opening was also a waste of space. Lucky for me, I've retired and brought my Snap On box home. Very expensive for home use but I already had it. If you have room, you might want to skip the combo and get a larger cabinet. Makes a great work space.

• Like 1

This is the time of year to be looking for new toys! I can't find the Costco one you are referring to. Can you paste a link? I think more drawers are better, because you can stick larger items in another cabinet or box, etc.

Do you have a workbench with pegboard on the wall above it? I love having all the hand tools hanging up on the wall in sight.

I also have the Craftsman 26" rolling cabinet with 13 drawers:

20181213_100809.thumb.jpg.d125680b4db331dbce0898f375641df9.jpg

I really like all the shallow drawers like tbarn said.

I don't know what is up with craftsman anymore now that sears folded. I do not have the "heavy duty" ball bearing roller drawers, but I can't remember what I paid 10 years ago. I bought it right out of school, so I was saving money, I'd get the heavy duty version today. I think this is more like what I have: https://www.sears.com/craftsman-26inch-wide-11-drawer-tool-top-chest/p-009CO103307712B?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=27&blockNo=27&blockType=G27

But this is what mine looks like:

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-26-in-13-drawer-heavy-duty-ball/p-009CO56572712B?plpSellerId=Sears&prdNo=34&blockNo=34&blockType=G34

I also built my last workbench with cabinets underneath for larger items. I'm currently in between shops, but I can't wait to built my next workbench in the new garage! I'm also following to see what else is out there in case I need to upgrade.

Edited by aseibel

I definitely agree about the small drawers.  Finding a balance between large and small drawers in one reasonably sized tool chest is difficult or expensive.  The Kirkland has 16 drawers in a 43" wide combo which seams to be a good compromise.  I once found a good article explaining how a large tool box can help if you're low on space.  It actually made a lot of sense!

4 minutes ago, aseibel said:

This is the time of year to be looking for new toys! I can't find the Costco one you are referring to. Can you paste a link?

I can't find a .com link either but this uk link is the exact combo at my local Costco.  https://www.costco.co.uk/c/Kirkland-Signature-42-106cm-RedLine-16-Drawer-Garage-Tool-Chest/p/1600050

3 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I can't find a .com link either but this uk link is the exact combo at my local Costco.  https://www.costco.co.uk/c/Kirkland-Signature-42-106cm-RedLine-16-Drawer-Garage-Tool-Chest/p/1600050

looks pretty nice. I wouldn't mind if Santa brought me one!

That toolbox at costco looks like a good one for yourself. I have 2 toolboxes. I have my dads old 3 piece craftsman that's similar to the one aseibel posted but has a couple extra drawers for the bottom tier and I have a 2 piece one as well. I originally bought the 2 piece one used on facebook classifieds for $70. The 2 piece is alright but I did not care for the bottom opening where it's not a drawer and is just a flip up compartment for larger tools. It also had the top most drawer on the set was supposed to be used as a ledge. The previous owner showed me that you can remove the drawer and turn it upside down and it will be just like a normal drawer but it will not lock which is fine with me since I never lock my tools up in the house or garage.

I wound up putting my 2 piece set in the basement and my 3 piece in the garage. Have you considered maybe doing that with a toolbox in both places or did you want just a big toolbox for everything to fit into?

37 minutes ago, aseibel said:

looks pretty nice. I wouldn't mind if Santa brought me one!

I have the Canadian Tire version of your Craftsman setup.  It should be all I need but it is very hard to downsize tools.  As soon as I get rid of a rarely used tool, I discover a need!  Our local Lowe's carry Craftsman products and I was looking at their larger tool chests yesterday.  I think Husky from Home Depot is a better choice.  (There was a time when Craftsman products were always my first choice!) The Costco 42 wide combo has two more drawers than the Husky and also looks better, imo.

10 minutes ago, kickass audio said:

I wound up putting my 2 piece set in the basement and my 3 piece in the garage. Have you considered maybe doing that with a toolbox in both places or did you want just a big toolbox for everything to fit into?

I would like to limit the space that is taken up with tools as we have downsized considerably over the past few years.  Any future move will not be to a bigger space.  

• Like 1

I bought the 52" Husky brand box at HD in June 2017 and have been more than pleased with it.  When I got it, they were priced at $598, but they are now up to $898.  I got it on my HD card with no interest for 18 months, but paid it off within 9 months.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Industrial-52-in-W-x-21-7-in-D-15-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Cabinet-Combo-in-Textured-Black-H52CH6TR9HD/302962883

I looked at the Milwaukee 46" box and a Husky 46" box that they had at the time.  The only things different between the boxes was the Milwaukee had smaller drawers on the right side and larger drawers on the left, while the Husky box was just the opposite.  The Milwaukee was priced about $150 higher, IIRC.

If you have a Harbor Freight close by, check out the boxes they have (US General).  They are quality boxes and most of the members on www.garagejournal.com rave about them.  If HF would have offered a "no finance charge" credit card, I would have gone with one of their boxes instead of the Husky.

I have the 41" Husky Combo chest, for 2.5 or 3 years now.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-41-in-16-Drawer-Tool-Chest-and-Cabinet-Combo-Black-VRC-4116BK/303499569

It's awesome.  Way better than the 26" Craftsman it replaced.  Well . . . supplemented.  

I agree that the short drawers are nice.  But I really dig the deep drawers on the bottom.  I have circular saws, belt sanders, things like that in them.  They had a wider one, but I had a specific spot this thing was going, so I was limited.

I'm impressed with the build quality.  The steel is heavy, the drawers slide well.  Casters are pretty heavy duty.  It's not a Snap On or Matco or anything like that.  But For the $500 I paid, I'm very happy.  

1 hour ago, djv1951 said:

For the price, for home use,  I don't think you can beat the new Harbor Freight line of "General" tool chests. If you have a Harbor Freight close by take a look at them.

Nice assortment, if I was looking new again id give them consideration

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabinets.html

On 12/13/2018 at 10:36 AM, Donstar said:

Donstar, I was at Costco on Saturday and saw this tool chest. I didn't have much time to inspect it while chasing my kids away from the free samples, but I really liked the soft close drawers. It seems like a Christmas time special since it was on the endcap. If you want to pull the trigger, you should probly do it soon.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, aseibel said:

Donstar, I was at Costco on Saturday and saw this tool chest. I didn't have much time to inspect it while chasing my kids away from the free samples, but I really liked the soft close drawers. It seems like a Christmas time special since it was on the endcap. If you want to pull the trigger, you should probly do it soon.

Yes, I agree. I've lost out on a "Costco special" more than once as a result of slow decision making!