6.2 swap

Ok guys im sure this may hv been hit before but as you may or may not no i hv a 17 z71 1500 with the 4.3, now ive seen people ask about swapping in the 5.3s and the majority always says it be cheaper to buy a new truck , but ive found a couple trucks with fairly low mileage with 6.2 plus tranny and wiring (wrecked) now i can do the mechanical work myself. These trucks are usually a yr or 2 older than mine but very reasonably priced 3500-5000 , i cant see how buying a new truck would be cheaper than putting 6grand ( xtra parts that may neef) on a truckni already own

If you’re buying the truck and everything is there and in good shape go for it. My brother in law last year bought two 14 GMs at auction and rebuilt them over the summer. A pickup and a Tahoe. The pickup needed a new frame. The Tahoe driver side was wrecked. Both were totaled. His father in law rebuilt pre- war cars as hobby. He provided assistance. My brother in law is a school band director. Both came out very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That video is not really a turbo kit off shelf you can buy it was a one off deal.I mentioned it to the OP is his other thread on turbocharging the 4.3.They made decent power on the dyno in the beginning but when they started to put load on the truck driving it on the street ran into alot of fuel limitations in the direct injection V6.They had to add an auxiliary fuel injection system and the end result was similar to a 6.2 with a few mods.It was alot of custom work but no less than swapping in a 6.2 and if I were serious probably the route I would go versus hacking into a healthy truck IMO

Edited by WHITESSTOWPIG

Make friends with your local GM service dept. Feel them out as they are the one who could reprogram your controllers. 

If you do a quality install and make this look factory, I dont see you losing value on 4.3 pickup.  

I imagine you should consider needing a driveshaft, front/rear diffs & maybe axles in the very least to accommodate the added power. Also....the tranny that belongs to the 6.2 is a giant pile of sh*t so not exactly sure you'd be "upgrading" in that regard unless you are budgeting for an aftermarket torque converter & having the tranny built up.

May end up rattling your teeth out too unless you want to replace all the axles & the driveshaft w/ upgraded units (never know - you may build the ultimate chevy shaker...& I wouldn't be surprised starting w/  total salvage & frankensteining it another one)

If your goal is more power what about a GM crate motor w/ plug & play wiring harness? Get one w/ hot cam & no DOD BULLSH*T that is also just a ticking time bomb same as the 8 speed tranny.

Edited by crushNchowda

Just buy a truck that has the 6.2

I can't understand why anyone would mutilate a truck and spend a shitload of money trying to turn something into what they should have bought in the first place.

There is a lot of that going on here on this site . Dumb