Tailgate not flat with bed when open (slight angle up)

My gate is slightly angled up when opened so when loaded with say sheets of drywall the gate and cables will take more stress than if flush with the bed when open. I wonder if this is just mine or is as designed for all 2019s? 

Side note one of my cables is slightly looser than the the other even when sitting on it. Searching this seems common on the old models - anyone else have this?

Edited by bfrank02
typo

Might gate is slightly angled up when opened so when loaded with say sheets of drywall the gate and cables will take more stress than if flush with the bed when open. I wonder if this is just mine or is as designed for all 2019s? 

Side note one of my cables is slightly looser than the the other even when sitting on it. Searching this seems common on the old models - anyone else have this?
Mine sits flush. I've already had boards in it and there was no angle.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

They have all been this way for some time. I'm shocked that more people don't notice. I guess hardly anyone uses that big box in the rear. I made a similar post when I bought my 2015.

I ended up buying a set of these to "help" fix the angle of the tailgate.

http://www.ridertailgate.com/copy-of-gm1-tailgate-lowering-link-set/

Edited by aseibel

9 minutes ago, KA0S said:

Mine sits flush. I've already had boards in it and there was no angle.

I'd like to purchase your tailgate cables. I'll even throw in mine for free. 

I'd like to purchase your tailgate cables. I'll even throw in mine for free. 
Haha!

I'll get a picture when my truck is back from having the front end wrapped with clear shield.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, bfrank02 said:

Might gate is slightly angled up when opened so when loaded with say sheets of drywall the gate and cables will take more stress than if flush with the bed when open. I wonder if this is just mine or is as designed for all 2019s? 

Normal.

#PIT3227P: Normal Characteristic - Tailgate Cable Slack - (Dec 17, 2018)

Supersession Statement

This PI was superseded to add the 2019 Model Years. Please discard PIT3227N.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern

Some customers may comment that with the tailgate down, one of the tailgate cables may have slack in it or one cable may be perceived to be longer by the customer.

Recommendation/Instructions

Important: If involved, complete the latest version of Campaign 04007prior to referencing this information.

No repair attempts should be made as this is normal due to build variation. In most cases, when weight is put on the tailgate, the slack comes out of the cable.

Customer Information

Please communicate to the customer this condition is a normal operating characteristic of their vehicle. It will not impact the designed performance or reliability of the vehicle. Please share this information with the customer, including a copy of this message.

3 hours ago, newdude said:

Don't know if the cables are different on mine or not, currently raining cats and dogs out so not going out to garage to look at the moment. I'm taking my truck in Friday for another issue and I'll ask about it.

I looked at mine this morning and the cable on the left side is tight and cable on right side is not. Going to take cable loose on the tight side and see if it lets gate lay flat. After the blizzard blows through that is :)