2019 Denali Ultimate after two months of ownership

I traded my 2017 Denali Ultimate for a 2019 Denali Ultimate in Dark Sky Metallic two months ago and am very pleased.  Some people criticize this new model but I can honestly say that it is far superior to the previous design.  It rides better, is quieter, smoother, more solid, and a lot quicker.  My previous truck had the 6.2 engine as does this truck.  The 10 speed trans is also smoother and when you give it a nudge there is no delay in downshifting.  It really wants to run.  Gas mileage seems to be about 1 to 1.5 mpg less than what I was able to get with the 2017 but will have to wait until we get the summer gas to be sure.   The brakes are way better but I have noticed that there was a quick buildup of brake dust on the wheels so while it stops better the pads may not last as long.  The Bridgestone Alenza tires seem to be quieter than the Michelin’s that I had on my 2017.  One of the irritating things with the 2017 was the XM radio reception.  Many have complained about it cutting out on some channels with no trees or buildings blocking the signal.  This new truck has not cut out at all.  There was also a complaint of the number of available XM channels which was a limit of the radio.  The 2017 had about 150 channels. If I remember correctly.   I checked the new truck and the available channels is 469.  I really like the 360 degree camera.  It’s very handy when parking.   I  like the keyless entry and the push button start stop.  Its nice to unlock your truck and start it without having to take your keys out of your pocket.  I have mixed emotions regarding the auto stop/start feature.  It seems that the more it is driven the smoother the stop start is but maybe some of that is just me getting used to it.  Bottom line is I really like this truck!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RivieraGS said:

I traded my 2017 Denali Ultimate for a 2019 Denali Ultimate in Dark Sky Metallic two months ago and am very pleased.  Some people criticize this new model but I can honestly say that it is far superior to the previous design.  It rides better, is quieter, smoother, more solid, and a lot quicker.  My previous truck had the 6.2 engine as does this truck.  The 10 speed trans is also smoother and when you give it a nudge there is no delay in downshifting.  It really wants to run.  Gas mileage seems to be about 1 to 1.5 mpg less than what I was able to get with the 2017 but will have to wait until we get the summer gas to be sure.   The brakes are way better but I have noticed that there was a quick buildup of brake dust on the wheels so while it stops better the pads may not last as long.  The Bridgestone Alenza tires seem to be quieter than the Michelin’s that I had on my 2017.  One of the irritating things with the 2017 was the XM radio reception.  Many have complained about it cutting out on some channels with no trees or buildings blocking the signal.  This new truck has not cut out at all.  There was also a complaint of the number of available XM channels which was a limit of the radio.  The 2017 had about 150 channels. If I remember correctly.   I checked the new truck and the available channels is 469.  I really like the 360 degree camera.  It’s very handy when parking.   I  like the keyless entry and the push button start stop.  Its nice to unlock your truck and start it without having to take your keys out of your pocket.  I have mixed emotions regarding the auto stop/start feature.  It seems that the more it is driven the smoother the stop start is but maybe some of that is just me getting used to it.  Bottom line is I really like this truck!

Nice write up.  I agree totally.  Ride in my opinion is better than my 2016.  I use the switch to disable start/stop.  It has become a habit after starting the truck.  Not too concerned about mileage, just concerned about the wear and tear in motor from all those starts.

Glad you like your truck.

Edited by O Town Denali
  • Like 1

Great honest review Don.

Thank you for the input.

Some are reporting lower MPGs than what they had in K2.

GM has marketed these T1 trucks as lighter and more fuel efficient due to several changes.

Maybe those reporting lower mileage such as yourself..... just cannot keep their foot out of it due to the fun factor! :thumbs:

Thanks for the review, that was helpful!   I've been a little torn on the savings on the 2018's but knowing things re just "better" overall really pushes me to a 2019 for sure.    Do you mind sharing what you paid for the Denali ultimate?  I"m hoping GMC \ Chevy get some deals going this month! 

Thanks, 

Smitty

Sierra Dan is correct.  I have thought about the lower mileage due to the Fun Factor.  I love hearing the exhaust note as the transmission is going thru the gears at about 1/3 throttle.

As to what I paid for the truck, I went thru Costco which will get you supplier pricing but was able to do a little better.  It is also nice to get the Costco $700 Cash Card.  The accompanying letter said it was from GM.  I don't really care who it came from but it makes the deal that much sweeter.

42 minutes ago, RivieraGS said:

Sierra Dan is correct.  I have thought about the lower mileage due to the Fun Factor.  I love hearing the exhaust note as the transmission is going thru the gears at about 1/3 throttle.

As to what I paid for the truck, I went thru Costco which will get you supplier pricing but was able to do a little better.  It is also nice to get the Costco $700 Cash Card.  The accompanying letter said it was from GM.  I don't really care who it came from but it makes the deal that much sweeter.

What was supplier pricing?   Do you mind sharing the actual price?  I'm guessing you are getting $6k - $7k off of sticker?

You guys are paying over $60,000 for Denali's in the USA? The equates to $81,000CAD in the current market. Pretty hard to find a $81,000 Denali here, but they are out there. How much does the Ultimate pack tack on the Denali MSRP? It was around $5,000CAD on top of the SLT way back when I bought my 2010.

6 hours ago, O Town Denali said:

Mine:

MSRP     $60,975.00

Supplier $57,415.20

Rebate    $1,500.00

Costco Card  $700.00

Thank you to you and Eppieguy for replying with your pricing..   I'm guessing an LTZ should be $3-$5k below that than?

This is my 1st gas Denali. My last 4 New trucks were Denali 2500 HD Duramax.  Last being a 2016 2500 HD. I moved to the gas because it was a lot closer to the ground and I really don't have anything to pull not to say 1.00 per gallon didn't help. Mileage wise its 18-21 which is fine with me begin it has the 6.2. 

The biggest bitch I have is the GMC App where my previous trucks had 5 year free service included (for send to maps nav, unlock doors, location etc.) now you get 30 days. Total crap! GM is now nickle and diming you after you spend 68K on a new Gas 1500? Very cheap and sad. My 2016 GMC still had 2 1/2 years left  on the free services when I traded it. Now I have nothing.

We are going out this weekend to start looking at trading in my wife's 2016 GMC Acadia Denali.  I doubt  we will be looking at any GM products.

2019.jpg

2019 2.jpg

• Like 1

This is my 1st gas Denali. My last 4 New trucks were Denali 2500 HD Duramax.  Last being a 2016 2500 HD. I moved to the gas because it was a lot closer to the ground and I really don't have anything to pull not to say 1.00 per gallon didn't help. Mileage wise its 18-21 which is fine with me begin it has the 6.2.  The biggest bitch I have is the GMC App where my previous trucks had 5 year free service included (for send to maps nav, unlock doors, location etc.) now you get 30 days. Total crap! GM is now nickle and diming you after you spend 68K on a new Gas 1500? Very cheap and sad. My 2016 GMC still had 2 1/2 years left  on the free services when I traded it. Now I have nothing.

We are going out this weekend to start looking at trading in my wife's 2016 GMC Acadia Denali.  I doubt  we will be looking at any GM products.

2019.thumb.jpg.e630e90a19c54fc848377662b138335c.jpg

5c2faa3c98895_20192.thumb.jpg.6cab4fbe3b09c922e2ad005661074ca1.jpg

Nice Denali, just picked me up the same unit. Great truck so far!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/3/2019 at 10:19 AM, eppieguy said:

I got the Costco deal, with rebates and negotiating my High Country MSRP was $66,900, I paid $60,000 plus TT&T.

Do you have to work for Costco or just have a membership?