Who's Up For Some Free OnStar Safety Service? Details Here

Gorehamj

ChevroletOnStarSantaUpdate_2.JPG

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
1-9-2019

General Motors announced today that it is offering up some free OnStar for those owners who don't already subscribe. We reviewed the offer, which is packed with more fine print that a celebrity divorce agreement, to try to get the important parts straight for our members. One of the fine print sections actually references the Famer's Almanac.

The deal breaks down to three free months as long as you are willing to give OnStar your credit card, full contact info and a cheek swab for DNA verification.  You need to own a 2006 or newer GM vehicle equipped with OnStar and it has to work. In fairness to GM, if you want to opt out all you need to do is press the Blue button and tell the associate you're out. The services available depend a bit on the model, but should include Automatic Crash Response, Roadside Assistance, Emergency Services, Crisis Assist and access to a live advisor at the push of a button. 

“These services can help Chevy customers drive with confidence during some of the most dangerous times to be on the road,” said Paul Edwards, U.S. vice president of Chevrolet Marketing. “With OnStar, we’re bringing peace of mind to owners, knowing that an advisor is ready to help.”

onstar image.jpg

To begin your free service simply press the Blue button. You get one month with no hassles, and up to three if you go in for the full contact info dance.  If interested, push the button before January 23rd.  Why the enrolment for the program ends on a Wednesday was not explained.

When I picked up my 2019 in August, my 1 month Intro On-Star was automatically extended to 3 months since I was an existing On-Star subscriber on the 2016 Silverado I traded in.

• Like 2

Where's the link to this offer?

Don't give them your credit card # unless you want to be automatically billed after the 3rd month.

I've read tons of horror stories about not being able to cancel the service. This is just a ploy to get more customers signed up. No such thing as a free lunch.

Be cautious if you sign up for this "free" offer.

• Like 3

Read the fine print.

You only get 1 month free if you don't give them a credit card number.

To get the 3 months free you need to give them a credit card then after the 3rd month you will be automatically billed at the current rate (which is really high).  You can try to cancel but read the horror stories online about people trying to cancel an active OnStar subscription.

Thanks for posting but for just 1 month free I'll pass ...

Yep, gotta remember to call to cancel. I signed up for one month just for Navigation (IIRC, it was $10), as my GPS was having a problem finding a Satellite....gave my CC #, called to cancel without an issue.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AML said:

I had the onstar app for my 2015, I could start the truck from my phone through app and never paid a dime. On my 2018 I can't access this feature without subscribing with credit card. What gives?

yeah i called about this too...at least for used trucks, they only give a few months free of remote start from the phone feature. i bought a used 2014 and had free onstar (free app features like lock/remote start etc) and never paid a cent...i traded that in and on my used 2015, they told me they stopped offering it in that way, and only offer it for a short trial period. mine ran out months ago and no shot i would ever buy it

Edited by jerseytaylor