Goodyear Duratracs worth it?

I had duratracs on a Ford Ranger and they where great off road, on road, and in snow. I had them for 50k miles and I was impressed with the wear.

They had another 10-20k miles left on them.

What I did not like was they were heavy and changed the steering feel and driving dynamics of the truck. Gas mileage took a little bit of a hit too.  I would purchase them again if I was looking for another all-terrain tire. 

..I had Duratracs for around 1200-1400 miles and the tire shop shouldn't get them to ride smooth above 65.  Replaced one defective one and they were better, after repeated road force and regular balances I gave up and got the Cooper AT3 4s.  

I'm sure the Duratrac is better off road and certainly looks cooler.  But the Cooper's are smoother and a better on road tire.  Slightly less mpg drop, can take clover leafs at a higher speeds again and less road feel /noise on turns around town.  I don't imagine I'll ever be in a situation were the At3 4s won't be able to get me out if it.  I don't off road, but we can get some nasty winter weather up here.  

Even if my Duratracs were smooth I like the Cooper's more and the buy 3 get one makes it a no brainier.  But you have to ask yourself how you use your truck. I almost went with the Michelin Defender too, but decided I needed something better in the snow.  

I've had two sets of Duratracs. The first was on my 4Runner (LT255/75/17) and the second is on my Silverado (275/65/18).  Both sets were difficult for the shop to balance, required a ton of weights, and still vibrated on the highway at 65+ mph.  On the Silverado, I had the shop replace one defective tire and it helped a bit, but I still have some vibrations. 

I have a 300' long, extremely steep driveway that is challenging during the winter.  I bought the Duratracs due to their  reputation for good snow performance.  They have decent traction, but nothing really that amazing.  Next go around, I will probably try out a different tire.

Man alot of mixed reviews.  The Cooper's I can get a deal on are the Adventurer ATs.  The price is great and they seem like a nice tire for both on and off road.  Anyone have the Cooper adventurer ATs?  What do you think of them?

I've owned 3 sets of duratracs, then 2 sets of cooper discoverer st maxx, and now I'm on the cooper discoverer at3 xlt. While running the duratrac and st maxx, I lived in rural Oklahoma and drove 50% dirt road, and 50% highway. The duratracs are a very good tire and look great, but they aren't the best. I never got great milage out of them and as they wear they get pretty noisy on the highway, but I never had an issue with grip or hydroplaning. My favorite were with st maxx. I got a lot of miles out of them, they performed almost as well as the duratrac, they look really good, and they stayed pretty quiet throughout the life of the tire. I live in OKC now. Although Walmart has some ridiculous deals on the st maxx, I decided to make an adult decision and go with the at3 xlt, and I'm glad I did. They're super quite, have a nice soft sidewall for a good ride, plenty of siping for icy conditions, and still look somewhat agressive. I think they're overpriced when I can get the duratrac or st maxx for a few dollars more, but these will last much longer, and perform very well.

What tire should you buy? It all depends on where you want to take your ride. If it's an 80's model you're taking it to the river, I say duratrac all day. If it's your daily and you want the best performance:milage ratio I say grab some AT's. I hear Falken Wildpeak is a great tire too! Good luck, buddy!

Edited by rudyb
  • Like 2

Another word of advice: Always negotiate with your vendor (tire shop) to get a good price on the set of tires you choose. Example: I placed an order for the AT3 XLT with discount tire for $1022, installed. I then discovered that I could buy the ST MAXX from Walmart in the same size, delivered to my Dad’s shop for ~$916 (he has a tire machine). I placed that order, and called discount tire to cancel with them. The rep tried to talk me out of it. I was stubborn and said he marketed his product wrong and lost the sale because of it. A few hours later I realized that he wanted the sale and it would be much smarter to go with the AT considering the amount of pavement I’m on. I called discount tire again and shot him an offer of $800 out the door. I figure, if Walmart can sell the ST MAXX for $916 and still make money, he can afford to sell the AT3 for $800. He came back with $900 and I pulled the trigger. It still seemed a bit high, but he played the game, came down in price, and I respected that. Always shop around and make an offer. 

469961BE-3857-4E0C-872F-E4A842C2EA81.jpeg

Edited by rudyb
  • Like 1

Another word of advice: Always negotiate with your vendor (tire shop) to get a good price on the set of tires you choose. Example: I placed an order for the AT3 XLT with discount tire for $1022, installed. I then discovered that I could buy the ST MAXX from Walmart in the same size, delivered to my Dad’s shop for ~$916 (he has a tire machine). I placed that order, and called discount tire to cancel with them. The rep tried to talk me out of it. I was stubborn and said he marketed his product wrong and lost the sale because of it. A few hours later I realized that he wanted the sale and it would be much smarter to go with the AT considering the amount of pavement I’m on. I called discount tire again and shot him an offer of $800 out the door. I figure, if Walmart can sell the ST MAXX for $916 and still make money, he can afford to sell the AT3 for $800. He came back with $900 and I pulled the trigger. It still seemed a bit high, but he played the game, came down in price, and I respected that. Always shop around and make an offer. 
469961BE-3857-4E0C-872F-E4A842C2EA81.thumb.jpeg.d399857eb8b3beefc4c69a3f5910a094.jpeg

Discount tire matches their competitors

Sent from above

On 1/16/2019 at 8:35 AM, Gagliano7 said:

I have duratracs and i don't get the noise complaint. The only time i really hear them is in the turns on a winding road. 

Not sure how long you have had yours, but the noise gets worse as the tread wears down. 

469961BE-3857-4E0C-872F-E4A842C2EA81.thumb.jpeg.d399857eb8b3beefc4c69a3f5910a094.jpeg
Noww that's a good looking tire! Nice truck, too!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1