Letter from GM - Allison / Duramax 2018 Crew Cab

While I appreciate the 72,000 mile extended warranty (I thought this would be covered under the 100,000 mile Allison transmission warranty), I don’t like the fact that they say don’t bring it to us unless you’re having this problem so basically they’re not going to even check and see if it’s wearing through. Does anybody know specifically where this is occurring (picture) so I can look for myself?

5F514521-AF6D-479C-8AC4-306B1D52003F.jpeg

Edited by EXSlider400

Issue occurs where the two lines off the aux cooler fish through the bumper/radiator support/frame area.  Rubs on the bumper bar frame bracket. 

Grille off is the easiest view of it.  Directly to the left of the aux cooler, in front of the radiator. 

Edited by newdude

Does this extended warranty apply to all GM made 2018 trucks with the Duramax/Allison configuration or are there other factors involved? In other words, should everyone with a 2018 diesel receive this same notice - GMC and Chevy?

Thanks.

On 1/26/2019 at 7:48 AM, grandpalarry777 said:

Does this extended warranty apply to all GM made 2018 trucks with the Duramax/Allison configuration or are there other factors involved? In other words, should everyone with a 2018 diesel receive this same notice - GMC and Chevy?

Thanks.

The way it's worded suggest their could be a serial number break in the affected vehicles -- so if affected a letter should be received.  

On 'another forum' this issue was first posted about by an owner of a 2017 Dmax, so it seems that at least some 17's are affected as well. 

Yes, both chev and gmc.

One of the shots posted:

attachment.php?attachmentid=1024547&stc=1&d=1532209441

Edited by redwngr

To check on your own, you may want to remove the horizontal plastic fascia cover inside the hood.  Will need to pry out the dozen or so push pin rivets and then lift the cover off (use a flat blade screw driver to lift the middle portion up, then use a pickle fork trim tool to pry the body of it up).  Once you remove that fascia, you should have good visibility down between the radiator and grille.  The potential rubbing would be on the left side as you look down (see pics in posts above).  I noticed the issue in the summer on mine, when someone else on a different forum posted the issue.  I put a piece of rubber hose between the frame bracket and pipe to protect it.  I since purchased a kit from Deviant https://www.deviantraceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=78400

which I haven't installed yet (too cold in Pittsburgh recently) to fix it.  

On 31/1/2019 at 8:45 PM, paauto said:

To check on your own, you may want to remove the horizontal plastic fascia cover inside the hood.  Will need to pry out the dozen or so push pin rivets and then lift the cover off (use a flat blade screw driver to lift the middle portion up, then use a pickle fork trim tool to pry the body of it up).  Once you remove that fascia, you should have good visibility down between the radiator and grille.  The potential rubbing would be on the left side as you look down (see pics in posts above).  I noticed the issue in the summer on mine, when someone else on a different forum posted the issue.  I put a piece of rubber hose between the frame bracket and pipe to protect it.  I since purchased a kit from Deviant https://www.deviantraceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=78400

which I haven't installed yet (too cold in Pittsburgh recently) to fix it.  

Do you have to disconnect the lines to install the bracket? 

4 hours ago, EXSlider400 said:

Do you have to disconnect the lines to install the bracket? 

No, I don't believe you need to disconnect the lines.  I will pull probably pull the grille off tomorrow and install the kit.  Will take pics and post them.

On 2/2/2019 at 11:23 PM, paauto said:

No, I don't believe you need to disconnect the lines.  I will pull probably pull the grille off tomorrow and install the kit.  Will take pics and post them.

I installed the new bracket today.  Very easy and it holds the line about a 1/4 of an inch off the bracket.  Here is a picture of truck with the grille off of it.  The factory bracket is in the lower left corner of the picture.

IMG_0232.jpeg

IMG_0234.thumb.jpeg.9963872b8b2feb7c8498830aea64aa94.jpeg

New bracket.  Notice there is about 1/4 inch of clearance now between the lower line and frame.  The factory bracket is a flimsy piece of plastic with a push pin holding it to the radiator support.  This product uses stainless bolt and nut to securely pull the lines against the radiator support.

The directions that come with the Deviant product are very clear.

Edited by paauto
  • Like 3