2011 Silverado - P0454 Code

wife got home from work last night and informed me CEL was on.  read the codes and I had P0454

evaporative emission control system pressure sensor intermittent.

possible causes:

• Faulty fuel cap
  • Improperly installed fuel cap.
  • Faulty purge control solenoid.
  • Clogged charcoal canister
  • Broken charcoal canister
  • Broken or cracked vacuum
  • Broken or cracked fuel vapor hoses
  • Faulty pressure or flow sensor.
  • A bad powertrain control module is a possible cause, but it is very rare

I removed fuel cap, cleaned off seal and tighten - that's about all i can do.  she drove it today (30 miles) and no issues

if it comes back, is my only option a dealership?  is this a common code for silverados?

2011 Silverado - 70k on the dial

after thought - it was -20 degrees here for a few days.  yesterday was 45+ degrees - a 60 degree change over night.  I wonder if a seal somewhere on the evap system shrunk due to the cold and just took time to get back into shape?

Edited by Bleepster

Most likely need a fuel tank pressure sensor.   

P0454
  • If, during the engine-off natural vacuum small leak test, P0442, the ECM detects an abrupt fuel tank pressure signal change, other than a refueling event, this DTC will set. An abrupt change is defined as a change of greater than 0.45 in H2O in the span of 1 s but less than 1 in H2O in 12.5 ms.
  • This test must fail twice in three samples to set this DTC.

P0451 and P0454
  • A restriction in the EVAP canister or vent lines could prevent fuel vapor pressure from bleeding off fast enough. If the vent system cannot bleed off pressure fast enough, the re-zero procedure may not complete successfully, which could cause this code to set.
  • Ensure that the reference port on the fuel tank pressure sensor is unobstructed.
  • An fuel tank pressure sensor that is skewed or does not have a linear transition from low to high may cause this code to set. Scan tool output controls, snapshot, and plot functions can help detect erratic sensor response. To test the sensor signal under vacuum conditions, use the Quick Snapshot and the Purge/Seal functions to capture data while commanding purge to 20 %, then plot the data to look for erratic sensor operation. A similar test can be done for the pressure side of the sensor operation by applying pressure with the GE 41413-A Evaporative Emission System Tester (EEST) while taking a snapshot

DTC P0454

Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor Circuit Intermittent

A P0454 is not a canister or a purge sensor problem. It is a problem with the circuit of the pressure sensor located on top of the tank.

If it were a P0451 It could be a bad vent, canister or a bad purge solenoid.  But with it being a P0454 it is either the Fuel tank pressure sensor or the Wiring to the sensor. The easiest this to do is to replace the sensor. You can actually remove this sensor without removing the tank and without a lift, jack or jack stands. 

Lower the rear strap on the fuel tank using a 15mm  Socket on an extension with a ratchet. It may have a cover on the fuel tank which may require (3) 13mm bolts to be removed. 

Once the back strap is lowered this will give you enough room to put your hand on top of the tank to unplug the sensor and remove it. It just slides out the top of the pump by pulling straight up on it. Install your new sensor and plug it back in. Reinstall the back strap and on the tank and the shield if on vehicle and clear the codes.

Very easy fix. I would do it with the fuel tank as close to empty as possible just to make reinstalling the back strap a little easier.

Here is the part you will need - https://amzn.to/2t9zfhM

Hope this helps. If you need anything else Message me.

• Thanks 1