PSA if your swapping out your bowtie to a black one.

M3Master

This only applies if you have the forward facing camera stuff.  Chevrolet says if you remove that grill for any reason, you have to have the front facing camera recalibrated.  My 19 has been at the dealer for a week while they attempt to recalibrate the camera system after a minor accident(grill was replaced).  The dealer says they have all sorts of problems getting those to program correctly and often times GM engineering has to provide a custom software patch to get them to work.  

Now, is it overkill to have it recalibrated when you remove and reinstall?  Possibly...but just figured I would pass along this piece of information.  I have read that you can technically just pop the bowtie off without removing the grill.  Would be interested to know if this is the case from someone that has done it without tearing up the grill.

Yeah, if you’re just swapping from the plain gold to the plain black (not lighted), no need to remove the grill. I have the camera and I didn’t feel like messing with it. A member here @BeardBros tipped me off that it can be done with the grill in place. I just used a thin plastic trim removal tool and gently popped the gold bow tie off. Started on one side and worked to the other. Did not take hardly any effort at all. After one or two of the clips are free, it basically falls off. I was surprised. When you look at it, you think the clips are going to be really tight but they are not. Not a mark or scratch on anything, not even the emblem I took off. You’d have to be trying to screw it up really.

• Like 1

Welcome to world of ADAS..... all this new advanced camera and forward facing stuff that needs recalibrated if you replace side, forward or other cameras on vehicles as they are set to detect objects.

Autel author their scan tools have a lot of stuff for that stuff but not sure on the GM stuff. You could always hop over to Autel and see if they have equipment that they make claims can get it done or not.

Sounds like GM pushed another product out the door they can't service yet..... typical cart before the horse crap...... I guess that's what happens when you get in such a hurry to rush the technology out the door. Almost seems as if these truck mfrs are having a arms race anymore. IF they won't release it it's because they realize the liability involved from having a faulty system that won't work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The front camera on my 2019 Denali was not sealed properly and got water inside.  Front view was real cloudy.  The dealer verified and ordered a new one and set up an appointment to replace it.  When I took it in to replace the camera, the tech had it back to me in about 35 minutes and it works perfect.  He said he did not have to remove the grill but just leaned it forward to get his hand in.  Don't understand the calibration issue but maybe ignorance is bliss.  BTW, Hardman Buick GMC in Gainesville GA is a great dealer in all aspects.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, CBRAGA said:

Am I blind!? I can't find the camera on one of our new 2019s. Are the cameras only on the LTZs or every truck?? Truck in reference is a 2019 LT, thanks!!

Optional in the top trims. Comes in the Technology package. Not available in the LT.

• Like 1