ONSTAR

I bought a 2018 GMC Sierra back in November of 2018. My free OnStar subscription has ended as of today. I am being told that if you do not re-new that you lose all access even the use of the connect app for remote start and remote unlock as it is no longer free for 5 years. They now want to charge $9.99 a month for the basic plan that used to be free for 5 years. Anyone else had this issue?

That is the new deal.  I purchased my 2018 Silverado in June 2018 and got 1 month for free and that if I signed up for the basic plan, I would get 2 additional months for free.  I went with that and cancelled a day before the 3rd month ended.  I won't pay $9.99 for access to an app that had been free for 5 years previously.  I was contacted by an OnStar survey taker and told them there was no way to justify the cost.

From what I was told by the Business Manager of the dealership I got my truck through, the change in plans occurred in April 2018 and that GM may have gotten the idea to charge for the app based lock/unlock/remote starting features from Volkswagen.

WOW.    Didn't know that.   Glad I got in before they changed that.   I use the remote start feature occasionally, but not enough to justify spending $10 a month on it!  Yikes!

51 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

That is a true statement about the service, the function that I used most was the maps feature, being able to send directions to the in dash nav from your phone is pretty convenient.

I use CarPlay for that.  I refuse to pay OnStar $10/month to start my truck.

There is a lot of discussion on this forum regarding Onstar.    I choose to spend the $10 per month for the peace of mind when travelling.  I've pushed the blue button on a few occasions over the past 10 years.  Never for anything serious, but nice to know how effortless it can be to call for help if you are in trouble.

• Like 5

I too keep my onstar active except that I have the unlimited access plan. I remote start my truck from my phone many times during the winter and find it quite handy. Also I wanted the unlimited data for wi fi due to the fact that I don't have xm radio and I stream from my phone. For everyone that chooses to not pay for something that once was free that's their choice, but I figure I waste more than that a month on useless crap and have no problem paying or the service. I remember when gas was .25-.30 a gallon and look at it now, are people going to stop driving because they don't like the price of gas:)

• Like 1

its $15 a month if you want the app to remote start the truck. I'd pay $5, but not $15!

I cancelled everything with onstar except the $20 a month wifi data, just because I like to hit the pandora icon for fast music and for the family to have wifi when we go somewhere. 

its $15 a month if you want the app to remote start the truck. I'd pay $5, but not $15!

I cancelled everything with onstar except the $20 a month wifi data, just because I like to hit the pandora icon for fast music and for the family to have wifi when we go somewhere. 

Not sure if you already know this but you can run Pandora off your phone app through Bluetooth and also use your phones hotspot WiFi for everyone to connect to, it works excellent this way and you don’t have to pay additional $20 per month since your phones already have it.

Sent from above

I bought a 2018 GMC Sierra back in November of 2018. My free OnStar subscription has ended as of today. I am being told that if you do not re-new that you lose all access even the use of the connect app for remote start and remote unlock as it is no longer free for 5 years. They now want to charge $9.99 a month for the basic plan that used to be free for 5 years. Anyone else had this issue?
Yep, I bought mine is November as well and it expired 2 weeks ago. I called them a day before because I couldn't remember if they had my credit card number or not. They offered to do the app and the safety features for 14.99 a month but I declined. Now nothing on the app works. It was a cool feature to have but I wasn't going to pay that much for it. I guess they figure a guy that buys a $50,000 truck will pay for the service, but I'm not going to. If they had some kind of deal that you could activate it when you were going on a road trip, I would do that. We are going to Florida in April, about 700 miles each way, I would pay $15 for that month. We usually go somewhere the week of the 4th as well. I would gladly pay the 15 for those 2 months.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Not sure if you already know this but you can run Pandora off your phone app through Bluetooth and also use your phones hotspot WiFi for everyone to connect to, it works excellent this way and you don’t have to pay additional $20 per month since your phones already have it.

This depends on your carrier and phone plan. It would cost me more than the 20.00 a month to get unlimited wi fi on my phone. If I use my phone for a wi fi hot spot I will be using data and getting charged extra for it.

• Like 1

This depends on your carrier and phone plan. It would cost me more than the 20.00 a month to get unlimited wi fi on my phone. If I use my phone for a wi fi hot spot I will be using data and getting charged extra for it.

Yeah, completely understand. thought because carriers are giving such great deals you may have the unlimited plan too.

Sent from above

5 hours ago, Donstar said:

There is a lot of discussion on this forum regarding Onstar.    I choose to spend the $10 per month for the peace of mind when travelling.  I've pushed the blue button on a few occasions over the past 10 years.  Never for anything serious, but nice to know how effortless it can be to call for help if you are in trouble.

It saved my buddy's mother's life.

She was in an accident and slid down a steep hill in a snowstorm. She was injured and wasn't getting out of the car on her own. OnStar was on the speaker in about 10-15 seconds asking her if she was hurt. First responders were there within ten minutes. She spent a week in the hospital.

If it wasn't for OnStar they may have never found her in time. 

Edited by dieselfan1
  • Like 3

Just looked it up, it’s $20 plus taxes per month, not $10

Sent from above

I too keep my onstar active except that I have the unlimited access plan. I remote start my truck from my phone many times during the winter and find it quite handy. Also I wanted the unlimited data for wi fi due to the fact that I don't have xm radio and I stream from my phone. For everyone that chooses to not pay for something that once was free that's their choice, but I figure I waste more than that a month on useless crap and have no problem paying or the service. I remember when gas was .25-.30 a gallon and look at it now, are people going to stop driving because they don't like the price of gas[emoji4]

I’ve got free diagnostics and full remote app on mine for 5 years only thing that’s missing is OnStar emergency services, $20 per month

Sent from above
  • Like 1