Cold Air Intake 5.3 question

Let summer I installed a K&N cold air intake system on my 2015 Sierra. It’s ok. I wouldn’t say it’s amazing, but one doesn’t expect a ton from a CAI and no other supporting modifications.

With that said, it’s definitely louder; specifically in these colder New England temperatures. And further, my gas mileage had actually done down (not because of my right foot).

I’m just wondering if anyone has had similar experiences. My mileage is 95% around town and I truly feel like this 5.3 is not a huge fan of temperatures under 30 degrees, so maybe that’s the biggest issue. Anyone else weigh in on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an airaid jr kit on my 15 Sierra which I installed last summer. I have also noticed over this last winter that the truck drinks the fuel more than I ever recall it doing in the past. Is it a fluke or does the install have something to do with it, I don’t know. But you’re not alone in noticing a difference.

• Like 1

I think it probably has more to do with the fuel blend between Winter and Summer.  My mileage always goes down when the temps start to go down and that's when the refineries switch over to a different fuel blend.  Either way we get screwed with the amount of ethanol they put in the gas. 

• Like 5

winter gas.

Around here the summer stuff doesn't come back until May I believe. I bet your fuel efficiency will jump by then, as will the price per gallon.

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2013/06/what-is-the-difference-between-summer-and-winter-blend-gasoline/

Edited by aseibel
  • Like 2

Winter blends are rough on mileage. I run E85 every tank and even that they regulate how much ethanol is in it. During the winter it’s more like 50% ethanol. 17mpg in the summer and about 12mpg in the winter lol At least it’s always 2.16 a gallon at my Kroger.

• Like 1

i'm getting 13 city/20 highway with running boards and tonneau cover. no tune yet but nothing else done either. I've noticed a drop in mileage from the fall months.  

Winter blends are rough on mileage. I run E85 every tank and even that they regulate how much ethanol is in it. During the winter it’s more like 50% ethanol. 17mpg in the summer and about 12mpg in the winter lol At least it’s always 2.16 a gallon at my Kroger.

About the same as me for mileage.

Many factors gas is one but also sorey to say but I would guess it is installed wrong. Did you recalibrate air tables after? Most people dont.

Installed wrong? I doubt it. It’s fairly dummy proof. That said; recalibration?

Yes the change in air low with cause the torque model tables to shift. Meaning you ask for xx% throttle and the software says ok then I can give him so much throttle but then the baro in the maf says we have more air mass and the the map in the intake says at that throttle position Im seeing xxxkpa or air. the job of the PCM is to learn the intake air mass and temp(baro) and compare to the map(mounted in the intake after TB) Issue it this relearn is short lived  it has to get the data in the fuel short and long term and correct for it. Or you are hurting yourself because as you get into the pedal the tb opens then sees to much mass and reduces the tb to reduce the torque. The drive by wire stuff is crazy like that. never know what is really happening without a data logger. As "nice" as efi and DI vehicles are it is still dump air in and add fuel to match the AFR you want so once that air is in there it will be used rich or lean. the maps job is to tell the computer to use the tb to add or reduce air. 

CAI does and power but only in a small part of the the power band and very little. I count a cai as a supporting mod to bigger mods like exhaust,cam,stall, tune, ect...

I use my tune software. But I also reset my re calibration parameters to lower setting so it learns more often. 

You would have to search for it. But it is like disconnect the  battery start truck let idle then wot a few times so the idle tables are set but that is after truck is at 180* so the idle tables are right. Even the GM intake says retune by dealer. But its a relearn not a "tune". 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 5:19 AM, catpartsman said:

I have an airaid jr kit on my 15 Sierra which I installed last summer. I have also noticed over this last winter that the truck drinks the fuel more than I ever recall it doing in the past. Is it a fluke or does the install have something to do with it, I don’t know. But you’re not alone in noticing a difference.

What's the difference between a JR kit and a full CAI? Do you get any added sound?

What's the difference between a JR kit and a full CAI? Do you get any added sound?

A JR kit is just the filter which drops into the stock air box and the intake tube. The full kit is the cone style filter that replaces the stock air box. From all the research I did, the stock air box provides more than enough air for the most common performance mods. So i didn’t see a need to spend the extra money on replacing it.

1 minute ago, catpartsman said:

A JR kit is just the filter which drops into the stock air box and the intake tube. The full kit is the cone style filter that replaces the stock air box. From all the research I did, the stock air box provides more than enough air for the most common performance mods. So i didn’t see a need to spend the extra money on replacing it.

Awesome! You've helped out a ton! Did you notice any added sound? I have Flowmaster Super 44s i just had installed, I like the sound but I don't know if I'm completely happy with it

• 1 year later...

So about a year and a half ago I installed a brand new CAI made by K&N on my 2015 Sierra 5.3 with approximately 23,000 miles on it.

Since then, I have to say, I haven’t been wow’d.

-Here in New England, it seems the colder air (below 30) seems to generate lower MPG’s.

-The constant intake sound (while cool sometimes) is louder than anticipated and I find myself using more effort to adjust throttle position to quiet it down.

-Throttle response and ‘power’ improvement is questionable.

**This K&N Intake has been extensively reviewed on here with generally positive results from members. Also the biggest reason I picked it up. I do like the smooth intake tube which I think is far superior to the stock set up. But I wonder if I could run the same tube and put the stock airbox back in with a better filter. Any insight on that before I start taking things apart?

Or the flipside, I could just sell the whole set up. I have the box and I just clean the filter. Anyone interested? (Located in Southern New Hampshire).

#QuarantineLife ;)

• Like 1