Red tow hooks

https://www.americantrucks.com/rough-country-silverado1500-tow-hook-to-shackle-conversion-kit-rs147.html

Picked up a set of black shackles on Amazon for $20 and they fit perfectly. Install was 15 minutes. Shackles are great when actually pulling stuff with your truck and a tow strap. 

As a tip... Use a piece of cardboard or something under the shackle braces when sliding them in place. This will prevent them digging into the plastic under them when getting lined up. Luckily I noticed this before anything went sideways. 

Also put some black zip ties on the shackle bolts to prevent them from creeping out or some 8 year old kid from taking them off in a parking lot. 

In case anybody was wondering for sure, these will fit a GMC Sierra as well. Put mine on today.

If you want to keep the rubber dust cover you can, but there is a trick to it. You have to take factory tow hook out. Pull the boot out. Put the new tow hook in through the bumper from the back side.

Line it up then slide it up inside the frame rail, all the way in where you have to reach in with your finger to get it out.

Then put the rubber boot back in place. Then reach through from the front bumper through the boot, and pull the new tow hook through them both.

It’s a bit hard, you have to work it back through, but it will go. Once it slides through bolt it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I am interested in trying the red tow hooks on My RST.   I don't want to trade in case I don't like the way they look.   Anyone out there that had the red ones and swapped them out for black ones or shackles?   If so, I am interested in buying your red ones.   Please let me know.

On 12/13/2020 at 12:16 PM, JTD's RST said:

I am interested in trying the red tow hooks on My RST.   I don't want to trade in case I don't like the way they look.   Anyone out there that had the red ones and swapped them out for black ones or shackles?   If so, I am interested in buying your red ones.   Please let me know.

I got a set let me know

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...