2015 Suburban shopping advice

Hey all,

First post here.  We just had our 4th child and our 06 Ford Freestyle with 300K (yes, 300K) miles on it will no longer suffice.  We're not doing a minivan or crossover cause as soon as the stroller goes in, there is no room behind the third row for anything else.  And with boys in band and travel baseball, and now a stroller, we're strapped for room.  I'm not brand particular per se, but the Suburban and Expedition EL are about all that can fit our needs comfortably.  

Anyway, we test drove one of each and I was very pleased with the Suburban.  The Suburban we test drove was a 2015 LT with 75K on it.  It was really nice.  Again, I was very pleased.  My wife drove it and was quite comfortable and got used to the size very quickly.  In fact, she wanted to take it home!  But, being that we're still shopping, I'm looking for some shopping advice.  I've browsed the good 'ol interwebs and, as with any vehicle, find issues/concerns/problems.  And being the 2015 is a first year model, that makes me kind of leery.  BUT, I see tons of positives out here too, though.  

That being said, what should I look for in particular with this model? 

- I have heard about the buffeting.  Sounds like it happens or doesn't.  You don't know till you drive it.  (One thing I couldn't figure out is if the buffeting occurs with LT's riding on 18's - seems most issues were those with 20 or 22's).  

- When the AFM kicks in, is there anything I should check for?  Vibration?  Hesitation?  Etc? (Don't mind tuning that out later)

- Any particular rust areas to check, besides just scanning under the truck?

- Now that they've been out a while, those in the 100K mileage range have any issues worth noting?

We'll be going to Cooperstown in July for some baseball, so this purchase will be our way there.  Any tips would be great.

I'm sure more questions will arise.  Thank you all in advance for any help with this.  

Josh

Hey all,
First post here.  We just had our 4th child and our 06 Ford Freestyle with 300K (yes, 300K) miles on it will no longer suffice.  We're not doing a minivan or crossover cause as soon as the stroller goes in, there is no room behind the third row for anything else.  And with boys in band and travel baseball, and now a stroller, we're strapped for room.  I'm not brand particular per se, but the Suburban and Expedition EL are about all that can fit our needs comfortably.  

Anyway, we test drove one of each and I was very pleased with the Suburban.  The Suburban we test drove was a 2015 LT with 75K on it.  It was really nice.  Again, I was very pleased.  My wife drove it and was quite comfortable and got used to the size very quickly.  In fact, she wanted to take it home!  But, being that we're still shopping, I'm looking for some shopping advice.  I've browsed the good 'ol interwebs and, as with any vehicle, find issues/concerns/problems.  And being the 2015 is a first year model, that makes me kind of leery.  BUT, I see tons of positives out here too, though.  

That being said, what should I look for in particular with this model? 
- I have heard about the buffeting.  Sounds like it happens or doesn't.  You don't know till you drive it.  (One thing I couldn't figure out is if the buffeting occurs with LT's riding on 18's - seems most issues were those with 20 or 22's).  
- When the AFM kicks in, is there anything I should check for?  Vibration?  Hesitation?  Etc? (Don't mind tuning that out later)
- Any particular rust areas to check, besides just scanning under the truck?
- Now that they've been out a while, those in the 100K mileage range have any issues worth noting?

We'll be going to Cooperstown in July for some baseball, so this purchase will be our way there.  Any tips would be great.
I'm sure more questions will arise.  Thank you all in advance for any help with this.  

Josh

I know this is a gm forum, and I'm a gm truck owner..... but not a fanboy . We have a lot to talk about in here because there's alot of common issues . Buying a 2015 suburban with 75k is like dating the hottest from your school , except at the 20 year reunion, 4 kids and 3 baby daddies later.
The 2015s have a lot of issues and that's the perfect mileage for it them start raining down heavy on you . If possible, try to fork over the extra cash for a 2017 at minimum. New design in 2020 so you can get a nice deal if you hold out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ira1976 said:

I know this is a gm forum, and I'm a gm truck owner..... but not a fanboy . We have a lot to talk about in here because there's alot of common issues . Buying a 2015 suburban with 75k is like dating the hottest from your school , except at the 20 year reunion, 4 kids and 3 baby daddies later.
The 2015s have a lot of issues and that's the perfect mileage for it them start raining down heavy on you . If possible, try to fork over the extra cash for a 2017 at minimum. New design in 2020 so you can get a nice deal if you hold out.

Thanks, Ira1976.

3 baby daddies?  Maybe she's changed now and will surprise you and end up being a winner!  LOL

This response could technically go for any used vehicle out there today, though.  The price difference between the 15 and 17 can be crazy.  And for us, that's an impact.  I don't mind things needing to be replaced, wear and tear items, starter, etc.  That's to be expected.  On the flip side, if the 15 is just not recommended, then we'll have to do some math and see what's right for us.

3 hours ago, jrny4rbys said:

Thanks, Ira1976.

3 baby daddies?  Maybe she's changed now and will surprise you and end up being a winner!  LOL

This response could technically go for any used vehicle out there today, though.  The price difference between the 15 and 17 can be crazy.  And for us, that's an impact.  I don't mind things needing to be replaced, wear and tear items, starter, etc.  That's to be expected.  On the flip side, if the 15 is just not recommended, then we'll have to do some math and see what's right for us.

If you must go 2015 then do so and save money but savings could be limited and unpredictable as 75000km  and almost 4 years old is at stage where its gonna need repairs not covered by warranty. Good point is the 2015 to 2018 all have gms longer 160000km 5 year powertrain warranty(Speaking for canada) 2019 over has now a reduced  100,000km powertrain. Usa had something similar in miles.

I have a bias  against used vehicles. I think theres just too many that are being sold because of an issue. This vehicle has higher chance because people might driven them hard  or done silly things like drive 4wd on pavement  or even abusive off roading. 

If you can budget  it 2020 will  be the  redesign. If not 2019s available now  will likely  be more reliable  and still have 6 speed auto.  2020 might bring  even more fuel efficiency  with full cylinder  deactivation instead of v8/v4.

I bought new already had my 1st warranty repair that would amount 800$ for a defective leaking  rear air levelling shock.

Id buy new if you can you  can negotiate  10000 including  tax off .

How much  can you get  a 2015 for? 

37 minutes ago, Mikey999 said:

How much  can you get  a 2015 for? 

The LT we test drove was available for $32K (U.S.)  Correct me if I'm wrong, but new ones start at approx $50K.  I'm not good a math, but I'm guessing that's a huge difference on a monthly payment.  I have to think a used truck plus an aftermarket warranty could be worthwhile.  

Can one really negotiate 10K off an asking price of a new vehicle?

19 hours ago, jrny4rbys said:

...what should I look for in particular with this model? 

Don’t think you'll see many of these trucks driving hard, they’re too cushy and costly to do anything more than towing or hauling. 

Some would argue all the trucks have the issues mentioned in your OP, but then a majority of folks without problems are not posting.  1) Buffeting, either you have it or you don’t.  This is not model specific, but in the early years most of the complaints were from GMC owners (Denali XL with 22” wheels), followed by Chevy and then Cadillac.  2) AFM, I don’t recall any of the issues you mentioned.  I have a first year Gen 4 truck and it transitions from 8 to 4 and back seamlessly, only notice it if I happen to be looking down as the change occurs.  3) You got it right, just look under the truck to see what you can.  This is going to be location dependent where the truck spent most of it’s time.  I’m out west, no snow, rain, ice, salt.  My truck just went over 5 yrs, no rust.

If a touring sedan could tow and haul like these trucks, that would be the only thing I would compare it to.  But then again, the new Maybach SUV going for 200K could be the best of both worlds.  The engineering in the GM fullsize SUVs is more car than truck like though.  If you end up getting one of these trucks (without any issues), you’ll see what I mean.     

If you do your homework and shop around, you should do very well.  You're right, nothing really compares to the Sub when it comes to loading a lot of people and support equipment.  I recently bought a '16 LTZ Suburban and love how it drives.  I was a little leery of all of the electronic doodads on it, so I didn't something I don't normally do and purchased an extended warranty.  From what I hear, GM has pretty much cured the AFM/Oil Consumption problem but I've still turned it off in my Sub.  Maybe I'll turn it back on again but we'll see.  My previous GM Truck as a 2008 Silverado with the AFM 5.3 and it was a real disappointment.  At 4.5 years, I traded it on a new, 2013 Tundra.  It was a hard decision for me to trade that in on another GM product but my dad has had several Suburbans and I wanted one.  My dad's last Sub, by the way, was a 2009 that he sold after putting 130K nearly trouble-free miles (it did use oil).  My neighbor bought it and still drives it.  

4 hours ago, jrny4rbys said:

The LT we test drove was available for $32K (U.S.)  Correct me if I'm wrong, but new ones start at approx $50K.  I'm not good a math, but I'm guessing that's a huge difference on a monthly payment.  I have to think a used truck plus an aftermarket warranty could be worthwhile.  

Can one really negotiate 10K off an asking price of a new vehicle?

10000 cad thats about  7400 us currently  at the time i bought it was 7400 us .

I purchased in march. There was about 1900$ cad in rebates and i utilized  a preferred pricing promotion  that allowed purchase  of vehicle  at dealer cost.  They still make money on dealer  holdback plus gm rebates them so they still  make 5% on truck.   Altogether  i saved 10000 cad$ including tax.

No one pays msrp. I did a factory order just lt model with ext tow pack lux pack and navigation nothing else. At end of year you can save  more if your willing take stock on lot but it also heavily upgraded stuff i dont want l sunroof and upgraded rims and tires etc.  Ive seen some souped up ones with 15000 cad off msrp but there are 10000  in upgrades  I don't  want which makes it cost more. Souped up premiers  are discounted at end of year. I had  shop 3 dealers to get that 1st 2 refused and wanted the 1000$ marketing  fee which i refused i refused admin fees as well only paid freight 

1 minute ago, Mikey999 said:

10000 cad thats about  7400 us currently  at the time i bought it was 7400 us .

I purchased in march. There was about 1900$ cad in rebates and i utilized  a preferred pricing promotion  that allowed purchase  of vehicle  at dealer cost.  They still make money on dealer  holdback plus gm rebates them so they still  make 5% on truck.   Altogether  i saved 10000 cad$ including tax.

No one pays msrp. I did a factory order just lt model with ext tow pack lux pack and navigation nothing else. At end of year you can save  more if your willing take stock on lot but it also heavily upgraded stuff i dont want l sunroof and upgraded rims and tires etc.  Ive seen some souped up ones with 15000 cad off msrp but there are 10000  in upgrades  I don't  want which makes it cost more. Souped up premiers  are discounted at end of year. I had  shop 3 dealers to get that 1st 2 refused and wanted the 1000$ marketing  fee which i refused i refused admin fees as well only paid freight 

32 k vs 50k you need to factor what  is best price you  can get on new one and used one look at difference and estimate  what repairs you could face or risk on the used vehicle your looking at. The more bigger and expensive vehicle the stakes get higher. If you can pull off new i think its worth it as you can control how that car goes . Buying used is risky you  can do well though if you really do your homework . My 1st 2  vehicles ive owned since new and put 400000 and 240000 kms respectively with no major issues still have 2nd vehicle.  Their are countless stories many people i know buy used and end up serious problems. But others do well. You will overpay buying new but that premium gets you a car untouched with little risk. I only suggested new to you as thats my opinion. I bought  new and am considering  extended warranty as i know repairs  are costly on this beast. So many expensive  components . And with all electronics mechanics  can spend ++ hours just for a diagnoses.  V8 to v4 is seamless on 2018 you dont feel anything . Test drive them. I sometimes wonder if such tech makes the engine susceptible  to a very expensive future repair . Imagine if they  get stuck in v4 or v8

Someone said you can turn off afm is that  possible ? How?

Texas is truck and SUV country. Used-CPO Suburbans and Tahoe’s are all over. My brother in law is a plant manager makes big bucks. He has never bought an GM SUV new. They usually have 25-35K miles on when he buys. He gets upwards of 300K miles on them before he stops driving them and donates it. I’ve seen people who work at our shop buy Tahoe’s with very high mileage at very reasonable prices needing very little work. Pickups I’d be more cautious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you all for the responses. We'll do a more thorough test drive and inspection. And we'll just have to really run our numbers as we don't want to hurt ourselves financially. But I don't have issues with used as that's all I've owned. As stated in the OP, my 06 Freestyle just turned over 300,000 miles and we're still driving it. The Suburban is a new option for me though, so I was curious as to what I should look for. Anyway, I really like this design inside and out over the Expedition EL. And I love the thought of a naturally aspirated V8. And most importantly, my wife really liked the Suburban! 

I love my Suburban, that being said I'd strongly advise you to AVOID the 2015. It was the first model year, which is never a good thing with GM. 

Honestly, if you're going used  and don't want a 2016+ GM, a Ford Expedition EL with the 3.5 Ecoboost isn't a bad choice. They can be picked up used very cheap compared to GM products and are pretty tried and true designs. 

1 hour ago, Mandalorian said:

I love my Suburban, that being said I'd strongly advise you to AVOID the 2015. It was the first model year, which is never a good thing with GM. 

Honestly, if you're going used  and don't want a 2016+ GM, a Ford Expedition EL with the 3.5 Ecoboost isn't a bad choice. They can be picked up used very cheap compared to GM products and are pretty tried and true designs. 

I appreciate the honesty. I would not mind a 2016 at all. In fact, if prefer it. But the price jump has me pause. But I have no favorites. I do prefer the style of the Suburban inside and out over the Ford. And the ease in which the second row folds forward. The Ford method is quite silly in my opinion. The kids could do the Suburban seats very easily. That being said, the budget will have a lot to say in our selection. Comparing the two, I can almost see why the equivalent Ford is cheaper. 

Whichever we do choose, I have to say this forum is awesome and very informative.

Edited by jrny4rbys
Grammar

2 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

...I'd strongly advise you to AVOID the 2015. It was the first model year, which is never a good thing with GM. 

Did you see sales for the Gen 4 GM Fullsize SUVs for 2014 and 2015?  To "strongly advise to avoid 2015s" suggest there has to be a ton of complaints for that year from different owners.  Problems with the first year is still happening, folks are just tolerating it because of the functionality and look of the GM product.  Jrny4rbys sound like he's done his homework, I would recommend just be cautious of any first year issue.  If he was basing his purchase on my 2015, he would have been in his truck yesterday.

I appreciate the honesty. I would not mind a 2016 at all. In fact, if prefer it. But the price jump has me pause. But I have no favorites. I do prefer the style of the Suburban inside and out over the Ford. And the ease in which the second row folds forward. The Ford method is quite silly in my opinion. The kids could do the Suburban seats very easily. That being said, the budget will have a lot to say in our selection. Comparing the two, I can almost see why the equivalent Ford is cheaper. 

Whichever we do choose, I have to say this forum is awesome and very informative.
2017+ actually. That's as far as I know anyway. 2015 definitely gives you ...

Delicate stabilizer links
Rear defroster detaches 20k
Water pump / pulley 70k
Transmission + megatron 95k - 105k
Engine lifters/cam 100 - 110k
Brake vacuum pump 50k
Motor Mount rear drivers side 75k
Coolant reservoir leak 75k
A/C condenser crack on top drivers side every 60k
Premature front inner tire wear , stay on top of wheel alignments
Consumes oil more than average.

Just some of the quirks. Pin that to your fridge under the #1 Dad magnet.