Oil Recommendation

Just now, Nitrousbird said:

Again, how would it be okay - per GM's recommendation - on what is a nearly identical engine on the Vette but not on these trucks?  Why would you be concerned about anything in the L86 and not equally in the LT1?

What I'm saying is you probably wouldn't have any issues for the most part.  Most do not keep their vehicle long enough to find out if there would be an issue.  I've ran a 10w-40 in our 2011 Acadia with the VVT V6.  It was a beast on the oil. I couldn't go past 5k miles and the oil was shot.  Any oil!  I even tried different brands and at 5k miles the oil's useful life was over.   We traded in at 80k for the Suburban.  Which we love and  all it's room for our stuff and daughters wheel chair.

One doesn't know what effects if any a thicker oil would play on these new engines with the AFM and stuff.  The oil system is different starting my 2014.  Also GM has redesigned the oil filter for a higher pressure relief up to 22psi over the older filters.  This is due the system running higher pressures and keeping the filter from going into by-pass less often.

GM just came out with a data bulletin for the new camaro V6 to run the UPF63R filter.  This is part of the bulletin.

"Today's engines have very tight tolerances, multiple oil pressure control systems and high flow lubrication system requirements. These requirements will vary based on the specific engine design, so the proper match of oil filter to the engine application is more important than it has ever been in the past.
The High Feature V-6 engines RPO (LGX) and (LGW) have higher oil pump pressure to accommodate engine cam phasing and high-speed bearing requirements. As a result, the oil filter performance was improved to meet this higher oil pressure output.
The new UPF63R oil filter has a thicker outer shell to provide higher burst pressure resistance during cold temperature conditions and greater fatigue strength. Failing to use this filter could result in external oil leaks due to gasket blowout or wrench flute cracks.
Any time an oil filter is changed on one of the above vehicles, it is recommended to use the new and improved filter."
  • Like 1

I remember when Ford came out with their 4.6. People thought they knew better and put in heavy weight oil. The results were stretched timing chains and noisy engines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk