Brake upgrades

So i tow a pontoon boat 20 ft boat regularly during the summer months rough weight 5k -- my stock brakes last year after first season of  towing with it ended with warped rotors which pissed me off...so i'm thinking this year before i start towing i should upgrade brakes to something...durable/better

What are some suggestions? i've read on power stop ,EBC---Hawk i'm thinking i want rotors and pads not fully interested in calipers but if that is something that needs changing to i guess so.. 

Ideally looking to keep it as cheap as possible with a quality product. ...prob dont get both right? 

2017 Silverado 1500 5.3L crew cab - LT All star ~34k miles 

I tow a 20ft bass boat regularly so I looked into doing the same. I went with the powerstop truck and tow kit. I just changed out the rotors and pads. I think it helped quite a lot with stopping power while towing the boat. I really didn't have problems towing with stock brakes but now it is one less thing I have to worry about as much. Super easy to install and kit had all parts needed to install.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, cincisilverado said:

I tow a 20ft bass boat regularly so I looked into doing the same. I went with the powerstop truck and tow kit. I just changed out the rotors and pads. I think it helped quite a lot with stopping power while towing the boat. I really didn't have problems towing with stock brakes but now it is one less thing I have to worry about as much. Super easy to install and kit had all parts needed to install.

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

some questions -- do they make squeaking noise? i've read reviews on them on noisiness when cold etc. 

Do they actually stop better than OEM? 

I'm kinda curious if i just half a faulty set of rotors to start with from GM and got a bad taste for the OEM brakes lol. 

1 hour ago, Arch Angel said:

So i tow a pontoon boat 20 ft boat regularly during the summer months rough weight 5k -- my stock brakes last year after first season of  towing with it ended with warped rotors which pissed me off...so i'm thinking this year before i start towing i should upgrade brakes to something...durable/better

What are some suggestions? i've read on power stop ,EBC---Hawk i'm thinking i want rotors and pads not fully interested in calipers but if that is something that needs changing to i guess so.. 

Ideally looking to keep it as cheap as possible with a quality product. ...prob dont get both right? 

Real simple SON!  EBC's all the way around and get the towing pads for upfront.  Cost is 700.00 and change.

Puts the OEM to shame except you will have more dust!  Can't get everything it's a give and a take!

The power stops are excellent. Z36 truck and tow pads and drill and slotted rotors.

I've run two sets so far. Night and day improvement over stock. I tow a 7600lb TT so I needed something better that didn't warp in one season.

Thanks,
Jon

IMO, you should probably focus on fixing your trailer brakes before investing money in your truck brakes.  

If you were rocking a GMT-800, the fronts were inadequate.  GMT-900 and later got upgraded fronts, more than adequate for a 5000lb load with properly functioning trailer brakes.  

Police package rotors and Hawk severe duty pads.  Change to good fluid with high boiling point. you'll be surprised at what you have at that point.  I have used the others mentioned in this thread and did not have that good of results. Raybestos/bendix actually make some good stuff (rotors) , just  whatever you do for towing you need something more aggressive than ceramic. The OEMs that originally came on my truck were awesome but they killed the rotors at 30k mi, GM replaced them under warranty and replaced them with their "upgrade/superseded   P/N" that is lasting but much softer bite. Stock it stopped hard, now not quite as hard. Will do the Hawk/Police package combo when it's time. R-auto dot com has all the brake stuff you need for awesome prices I would start there.

Just remember fresh quality fluid makes a difference, as do making sure you have strong vacuum, Set up is important.

7 minutes ago, jpmiami said:

I installed the Hawks Truck pads and mayor improvement, no noise and very light dust. Bought them thru Ebay.

+1 - I've had many sets of Hawks on other cars and they always seem to perform noticeably better than the other "popular" brands. Follow the break in "bedding" instructions and they always work killer. When you press the pedal you know you have something.

We have ran the hawks and the others as well as performance rotors and the end result is always the same all are crap.
We weight them and heat them up and it is a trade of in higher heat, better braking, and dust. In there you also get fade.
The answer is simple bigger brakes. There a dozens of good articles out on the pros and cons. But the answer is easy. Larger rotor equals less heat and fade more surface and with added pistons and pad surface your good to go. Then you also get options on pad type and they are easier to change.
Gm knows this and offers the big brake kit. But for the money nothing beats the Wilwood kit. I have seen it for as low as $1500. It will last 2 or 3 times longer then of the shelf seap out parts and no one can begin to compare it to the police package that's a joke.
I understand it is twice the price of everything others are saying but it is 10 times the brakes.
I have them on 2 of my race cars and the truck will get a set next.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

$1500 is insane pricing! Where have you seen it for that little so I know where to look for these deals. 
Depends on size and options. Truth is the drilled is not good. Slotted is. Wilwood wrote a large article about it. And standard black is cheaper. There are 3 kits big but still small enough for 20 and less wheels then a big kit 20+ then a huge kit. But look on Ebay and sounds odd but wholesalers and new dealers post on forums and face book cost prices to fill there minimum orders.
2 piston small rotor vs. 6 piston. And the 6 piston is 3 on each side pads are 3 times the size and the rotors are 16"+ and thicker.
They also make a rear. But race guys want to run smaller rear wheels on track days.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thank you for the info. I've been eyeing the slotted 16's in black or even unfinished. The red would be too noticeable to the CFO, same reason i order all my surfboards in white!