2014 SLT doesn’t have SLT headlights

I just purchased a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 that was made in 2013. I’ve been looking at the forums and people say the SLT’s came with different headlights than the other lower trim levels. Is my truck actually an SLT or did the early 2014 models not get the upgraded lights? 

9FFE9F9A-5593-4348-9121-81AD45C8CF1D.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jgillz91 said:

I just purchased a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 that was made in 2013. I’ve been looking at the forums and people say the SLT’s came with different headlights than the other lower trim levels. Is my truck actually an SLT or did the early 2014 models not get the upgraded lights? 

Not positive on the GMC's. but look for YE9 in your factory RPO codes in the glove box to confirm SLT.

Welcome to the site, neighbor to the south!

Edited by JimCost2014

9FFE9F9A-5593-4348-9121-81AD45C8CF1D.thumb.jpeg.af856776d56a32ad82d16c6cd5ced791.jpeg

You’re correct, hated the crap halogens in my 14,16 but were switched out in late 2016 or early 2017 models with the upgraded hid headlights. My current 18 is a night and day difference literally

Sent from above

9FFE9F9A-5593-4348-9121-81AD45C8CF1D.thumb.jpeg.af856776d56a32ad82d16c6cd5ced791.jpeg
I had an early 2014 truck. Build date was October 2013. It had LED daytime running lights around the halogen projector. The DRL were great but the halogen sucked. I swapped for HID. Million times better.

Take a picture of the lights on. Hard to tell from this picture but those don't look like SLT headlights to me. Looks like your missing the LED DRL.

VIN or Carfax should identify your trim as well. Not sure if someone said that already.

Thanks,
Jon

You’re correct, hated the crap halogens in my 14,16 but were switched out in late 2016 or early 2017 models with the upgraded hid headlights. My current 18 is a night and day difference literally

Sent from above
16 to 18 K2 headlights are LED projector. Not HID...
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, Jgillz91 said:

You have SLT Head Lights that have the LED DRL with the Halogen Projectors.  Piss Poor factory lighting for a $50K truck.  My 2015 SLT had the same.  I did a HID upgrade right away by installing the Retrofit Source kit that runs around $180 or so.  It was much better but still not to my liking after coming out of a Denali that I had done a HID projector retrofit on.  So a few months later I did a complete projector retrofit with FX-R projectors and DS2 bulbs and could not be happier.  I also replaced the fogs with Morimoto XB LED Fog Lamps.  They both do a great job of lighting up the road and the sides.  As far as the headlamps you have to be willing to bake them open to perform the projector upgrade.  I used brackets from Fast Headlights.  At the time I did it, I purchased an extra set of headlamps in case anything went wrong with the retrofit or I had any warranty issues while the truck was still in that period.  Never had any issues so I sold my original set set of lights.  Lights are cheaper now than they were four years ago...

If you look in my gallery there are some pictures I posted long ago of the projector upgrade...

Good luck 

4 hours ago, Sierra Jon said:
22 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Sent from above

16 to 18 K2 headlights are LED projector. Not HID...

Not all of them were LED. There were HID and LED headlights available for the Sierra and Silverado.   16-18 Sierra with halogen front turn signal - HID, same with Silverado.

Not all of them were LED. There were HID and LED headlights available for the Sierra and Silverado.   16-18 Sierra with halogen front turn signal - HID, same with Silverado.
I'm talking about the K2 Sierra. Not aware of anything other than the intellibeam headlight with LED projector. Even the work trucks have them.

My 16 DMax LTZ Z71 wasn’t LED either.

Sent from above

On 4/4/2019 at 3:28 PM, Jgillz91 said:

Do you have an led strip on the top and bottom.

if you don’t, you don’t have slt headlights