Repair or replace this tire

GN2018

I know you're not supposed to repair a tire where the puncture is on the sidewall.  What do you guys think of this one?  What hurts is that I only have 4K miles on this OEM tire.  I'll check with the dealer in the morning, but I don't recall getting/buying any type of road hazard insurance on the tires.  I'm leaning to replacing it but hoping not to have to do that.

IMG_0758.JPG

I would definitely replace it. I work in development for a well known tire manufacturer. We have a test facility where tires are ran until failure. That is the shoulder of the tire and a common area of failure.

I can't imagine any tire shop saying that they would even repair that.  Liability on their part.   Definitely replace that thing for safety reasons.

Thanks for confirming.  I guess the good news is that I saw it yesterday when I was washing my truck so I did not have a blow out or even just a flat while driving.  The other is that it's holding air (until you touch it) and with the tire shop just a bit more than a mile away, I'll be able to drive it there in the morning.

1 hour ago, b1gted said:

I can't imagine any tire shop saying that they would even repair that.  Liability on their part.   Definitely replace that thing for safety reasons.

This being said, a real tire guy could plug and patch from the inside, possibly getting the tire to run down the road for years. But, as stated, we are all worth more than that couple of hundred bucks, that it takes to replace it. Right rear tire? One fast right turn with oncoming traffic, could spell disaster.

Around here, the tire stores no longer repair any punctures in the inner or outer tread blocks.  They will only repair a puncture in the the 3 center tread blocks, if the tire is less than 6 years old and in good condition otherwise. No more than 2 patches per tire. 

They say it’s for liability reasons.  Bull. They just wanna sell more tires.  In the old days in the oilfield and on the farm, we ran patches, plugs, boots, inner tubes—whatever it took to keep the truck on the job. Nobody ever died or wrecked or had a lawsuit.  But of course, people had common sense and were responsible for their actions back then. 

Edited by MaverickZ71

Well, as luck (bad) would have it, my other car (Equinox) got a nail in one of the tires.  The good news is that it was right in the center of the tread so Discount Tire repaired it - no cost.  It was also good that the cars now have pressure sensors.  Wife pulled out to run around for the day (couple long trips) and the indicator came on right away - 23 lbs.  She turned around and we were able to drive it to the tire shop.  On the good luck side, good to have two punctures and not really have to deal with a flat or blowout.  Driving to the shop is a lot easier.