EXTREMELY soft plastics

Anyone else notice how easily the plastics inside the truck scratch up? My back doors have scratches all over them from the door being shut against a backpack with clothes in it, and the padded portion of a car seat. My passenger side next to the glove box has scratches from... Who knows what. The interior plastics are very soft...

Edited by Z71RST

I have noticed this. Seems like if anything touches it there’s a mark. I have a bunch of scratches by my passenger side and haven’t even really had any one sit there. If you find a way to fix them if even possible let me know.

When working on the line for GM, I know when we got a scratch on a plastic piece, we took a butane torch to it. Sounds crazy, I know. But I watched it and did it several dozen times, and was always amazed at how it came out. You just do it for a second or two and then rub it with your finger. 9 times out of 10, the scratch wasn't visible any more. This worked great on light scratches. The deeper the scratch, the more noticeable it was. Even after doing it to so many vehicles, I'm still scared to do it on my own. Didn't mind at all when it wasn't mine and I had plenty of replacement parts to pop in if it turned out bad. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend and post some results.

• Like 1

The 2019 T1 GM truck interior materials could be much like GM K2 trucks.

There is a thin "membrane" coating over some of the inner materials.

This membrane can scratch and discolor easily.

A thread about this exists somewhere over on the K2 section.

17 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

The 2019 T1 GM truck interior materials could be much like GM K2 trucks.

There is a thin "membrane" coating over some of the inner materials.

This membrane can scratch and discolor easily.

A thread about this exists somewhere over on the K2 section.

This was caused by a cleaner that developed a film over time. Nothing to do with the actual soft plastic material the cleaner was used on. I'm talking about actual scratches into the plastic caused by very minor bumps and scrapes. My 16 got some over time as well, but they were earned. Dragging tool boxes across the door panel, etc. The 19 is simply closing a door against a bag, or getting out of the vehicle and having a bag bump the door panel. These should never show signs of wear, I've even got a spot where I had some bacon in a plastic shopping bag fall off the seat and hit the door panel and scratch it. This is the softest plastic I've ever seen in a vehicle, by far.

I was actually thinking yesterday that my plastic on the driver's side door post is holding up well against my seat belt smacking it all the time. 

Any scratches that I have noticed in my first 1000 miles have gone away with some Armor All wipes. 

Seems like the same plastics that were used in my 2007 LT Crew. It did scratch over time, but I didn't think it was abnormal. 

On 4/11/2019 at 1:32 PM, Z71RST said:

Anyone else notice how easily the plastics inside the truck scratch up? My back doors have scratches all over them from the door being shut against a backpack with clothes in it, and the padded portion of a car seat. My passenger side next to the glove box has scratches from... Who knows what. The interior plastics are very soft...

Try Meguiars Natural Shine spray.  Removes most of these scratches