Lower cost tonneau cover that does not flap while driving?

Can anyone recommend a lower cost cover that does not flap in the wind as you’re driving? Tri Fold or roll up 

I bought the truxsport and already one weekend and it’s aggravating to see in the rearview mirror that my truck has a cape

Or should I take it that all the vinyl cheaper covers are going to flap in the wind

Thanks and advance

Edited by Sean006

I have the access tonneau sport cover on mine, I think that is the model anyway. You can find them for under $300 almost all the time, sometimes even around $250 with shipping on various websites.

Doesn't "flap" in the wind at all, I mean it has to have some give so you see a little ripple as the wind gets to it at high speeds.

Edited by CamGTP

• 3 weeks later...

+1 on Access.  I have had one now for 6 years and it is perfect.  Had one on my old truck for 8 years with no issues.  If you see some flap on a rollup,, first make sure your tension is tight enough on it.  If you still have a problem you can pad the crossbars with PVC insulation to make it fit tighter and take out some slap.   Usually the slap is only an issue in very high crosswinds coupled with high speeds.  I noticed it on my old truck but not on this one. 

On 4/21/2019 at 3:54 PM, Sean006 said:

Can anyone recommend a lower cost cover that does not flap in the wind as you’re driving? Tri Fold or roll up 

I bought the truxsport and already one weekend and it’s aggravating to see in the rearview mirror that my truck has a cape

Or should I take it that all the vinyl cheaper covers are going to flap in the wind

Thanks and advance

I had the soft tri-fold on my '15, and always thought that it was flapping in the breeze.  Come to find out, it was the trailing edge flapping up above the top of the end of the frame.  Now, I'm looking for a hard tri/quad-fold low-profile tonneau cover for my '18.

From my experience, you need a hard tri/quad fold, a hard roll up, or a hard 1 piece if you don't want to see any movement.  I have a GM accessory soft tri-fold.  Came with the truck new.  I'm not a fan.  I will be replacing it with a hard folding cover.  The flapping drives me nuts too.

• Like 2

I have what I believe is an Undercover aluminum bi-fold that was on my '16 when  I got it.  I say that because you fold it once, then twice then the dumb thing sits up right behind the cab and is held by a chintzy little prop rod. Its extremely solid with no movement at all at highway speeds but I hate it. If I cant sell it for something I'll give the dumb thing away and go with a quality aluminum reinforced roll up unit. I think the original owner never opened the tailgate nor was the truck ever on a gravel road before I bought it. 

It looks cool bui it's about as functional as a two legged bar stool.

I have had the Truxedo Lo Pro on my last 3 trucks.  It's a soft roll up cover, not a tri-fold, which I like because it's a lot easier to manage when you want it rolled up.  

It stretches down pretty tight, and has little to no "flap" about it going down the freeway.  For the 2019's is $499 on Amazon, takes about 15 minutes to install, super easy.

• Like 1

I've noticed that my truxedo lo pro has a lot more give to it if I don't stretch the cover tight side-to-side before velcro-ing it down. Maybe you don't have all the slack out of yours. I don't see much difference between the lo pro and the truxsport except where the rails mount. It only has minor rippling in the wind at freeway speed. Like TexasGMCZ71 said, it depends on the speed and direction of the prevailing winds.

I'm very happy with my soft cover. I could never live with something that is in my way when I want to open up the bed. 

• Like 1

Good luck.

Hard fold with a vinyl top or an actual hard panel tri/quad fold either with a textured hard panel (backflip) or a metal roll/fold. 

https://bakindustries.com/hard-folding-covers

https://www.weathertech.com/chevrolet/2018/silverado-1500/alloycover/silverado-box-size/standard-box-78-9/

https://extang.com/solid-fold-2-0

Edited by newdude

I had a Bakflip MX4 on my 15.  I'd probably already have on in the 18 if it hadn't already had the soft folding cover.  I will most likely get another MX4, but I'm not in as much of a hurry since I already have cover, however crappy it is.