GM's Mary Barra Was Paid $21,870,000 in 2018 - Did She Earn It?

Gorehamj

Barra union handshake.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
4-23-2019

General Motors paid its CEO, Mary Barra, $21,870,000 in the year 2018. That amounts to nearly half a million dollars per week worked, assuming Ms. Barra has five weeks off during the work-year. Another interesting number is $93,064. That is Ms. Barra's pay for each of the 235 work days in a 47-week year. Ms. Barra earns more in one day of work than the average GM employee does in a full year of work. Union workers at GM plants signed a contract about 18 months ago that pays the average union worker about $60K before bonuses. Including bonus pay and overtime, the average is about $77K per year. Or about as much as Mary Barra earned on her first work day of the year by about 3 pm.

Although by comparison to Ms. Barra's co-workers at GM her pay seems outrageous, by comparison to her peers who are CEOs of other large public companies engaged in manufacturing, her pays is about average. Boeing's CEO made about $23 Million in 2018. Ford's CEO made $18 million

During 2018, MaryBarra also enjoyed the use of GM company vehicles. Despite her pledge to commit more GM resources to electric vehicles, and her pledge that GM has an "all-electric future," she told an interviewer at an energy summit, at which GM displayed its EVs, that she herself drives a Cadillac Escalade. 

What say you, GM-Trucks.com faithful? Did Mary Barra earn her pay in 2018?  

• Sad 1

Well she did get the President to barter with China and not get sanctioned-taxed for Chineseium vehicle parts she needs for her company to keep it afloat. 

She did push forth the electronic brakes on 2019 model year vehicles for the 3 digit Federal Agencies and New World Order.

She has been successful in keeping from liability of GM’s own emissions scandals or this whole waxed frame that doesnt prevent corrosion fiasco.

To date there is no Federal Class Action for the electronic power steering failing when a battery cell dies and vehicles crashing. She has created so many Sierra-Silverado crashes you can buy a super low mileage 5.3 on Ebay cheaper than you can get a transmission....

She deserves the money for the evil she does. Bodyguards aint cheap.

Edited by Paintor
  • Haha 2

Confused John? Okay. A company pays one individual over twenty million dollars. More money that a city block of it's workers makes in a lifetime and she might do this for say what...ten years!  GM takes bail out money and pays bonuses and wages to executives but closes plants and lays off workers. Poly-Ticks is not my long suite sir but I'm confused about what part of this seems normal and if it does, why that might be so. This is the fruit of such leadership? You can bankrupt a company hiring a wino. 

The head of a body doesn't remain long if you sew the BUTT shut. No one human is that important. Someone really smart said once: "Let the greatest among you be your minister".  (paraphrased) Pretty sure she wont be going down to the assembly line to wash the feet of her employees. 

• Like 1

People generally get this wrong. It’s not how much a person is worth according to us. It’s to the competitor. Sometimes it’s about the people who comes along with. You don’t usually get there by yourself it’s who you surround yourself with. Your worth as much as some ones willing to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'm on the same page Grumpy Bear. I think I did a pretty good job making that point with the GM employee earning comparisons in the story, no?  

• Like 2

No CEO, COO or what ever is worth the money they get paid IMO.

I have had this conversation more than once.

It depends on your way of thinking. 

Is anyone worth millions?

Actors, athletes, doctors etc.

Not to me.

:)

• Like 1

Did she earn it?  Hell no! 

If her pay was based on performance, based on the recent expert reviews of the 'vehicles' GM is pumping out and the nonexistent quality control on said 'vehicles' (many of which end up getting more miles vertically on dealer lifts than they do horizontally on the road), AND the inexcusable fact that her company scammed the American taxholder for $11.2 BILLION and she is now giving us all the finger and closing the USA plants anyway, she would have been lucky to have gotten paid $2.19!

• Like 1

The article suggests her earnings are comparable to that of her peers at Ford and Boeing.  I assume numerous other similar companies pay their CEOs between $15-20M as well.  What more is there to say?

As somebody who earns a salary closer to the "average union" worker, it is hard for me to fathom "earning" salaries that large.  It's a whole other world at the top of the corporate ladder. 

NO one is worth that kind of money. NO ONE. Bullshit like this is why the big companies are killing themselves. Invest that money into new technology that gets us out of fossil fuel use, oh wait, you take money from the petroleum business NOT to produce new products that don't use oil???? This is the problem with our country right now, sell out for money, **** the future.

Ponder this.

My wife is a fan of Greys Anatomy. She watches it on Netflix.

One of the shows actors, Ellen Pompeo makes 20 million a year according to an internet search of her.

Lots of people making millions. It's the way of the world today.

I disagree with these salaries but the money is there or they couldn't pay it.

:)