V.2019 GM Navigation Updates on Sale for $99

7 hours ago, SWOYER said:

I wouldn't update the factory GPS for $10 and a free beer to be honest. I wish mine didn't have it. 

This.  I was forced into the Nav option with the Premium Plus package and have 0.0 need for it.  It's foolish to use it when you have Android Auto (or CarPlay if you are an Apple sheep) right there, giving you access to far superior mapping software for free - I personally use Waze.

I would update the maps, if it were free.  That's the most I would be willing to spend.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Denali34 said:

I ordered it last week when I got the email. I typically use Apple Car Play and Waze but I bought the option with the truck so whats a $100 to keep it updated? 

$100 to keep it updated is insulting, that’s what it is.  GM has played this game for years.  I had a 2004 Rainier with a nav unit and they wanted a couple hundred bucks for an update.  I was leasing every couple years at the time (my other car) and so when I got my lease deal done, I did the one more thing, thing.  Yep, you want me to lease this car?  Get me the disk to update the nav on the Rainier.  That worked at least once.

Agree with other comments, no need for nav any more given phone connectivity. I use Apple Play and Waze in my truck and I much prefer it to the nave unit in my Equinox.  In fact, I’ve looked for a way to add Apple Play to my 2017 Equinox but no luck.

$100 to keep it updated is insulting, that’s what it is.  GM has played this game for years.  I had a 2004 Rainier with a nav unit and they wanted a couple hundred bucks for an update.  I was leasing every couple years at the time (my other car) and so when I got my lease deal done, I did the one more thing, thing.  Yep, you want me to lease this car?  Get me the disk to update the nav on the Rainier.  That worked at least once.

Agree with other comments, no need for nav any more given phone connectivity. I use Apple Play and Waze in my truck and I much prefer it to the nave unit in my Equinox.  In fact, I’ve looked for a way to add Apple Play to my 2017 Equinox but no luck.

To each their own. For what I spent on the truck another $99 isn’t going to kill me. I like to see it in my instrument cluster as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Denali34 said:

To each their own. For what I spent on the truck another $99 isn’t going to kill me. I like to see it in my instrument cluster as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, $99 isn’t going to kill you.  And, I did not appreciate the desire to have it displayed in the instrument cluster, but it’s still insulting that GM request payment for something like that.  I’m guessing you have OnStar and probably still have a warranty.  Seems like either of those would justify keeping you up to date without picking your pocket.

Still, if you turn your trucks over frequently and have a good relationship with a dealer, I’d hit them up for future updates.  Maybe make that a part of any purchase going forward.

Edited by GN2018

This.  I was forced into the Nav option with the Premium Plus package and have 0.0 need for it.  It's foolish to use it when you have Android Auto (or CarPlay if you are an Apple sheep) right there, giving you access to far superior mapping software for free - I personally use Waze.

I would update the maps, if it were free.  That's the most I would be willing to spend.
I have a 2018 Sierra that I took on my first trip last week. I have never used the nav before. I was going from NC to FL. I just put the address in and didn't question it. It took me 100 miles and over an hour out of the way. It was really good driving, good roads, light traffic, no stoplights, but it was not worth the extra time to me. On the way home I installed Android auto on my phone and it displays through the factory nav. It was so much better. I doubt I will ever use the factory nav again.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It depends on where you're at... I've been in some areas with bad cell coverage and phone GPS won't work... My truck is going on 4 years old and I've never updated the nav... I have only used it 2x in almost 70k miles of driving...

Spend a few minutes before you head out someplace with good WiFi. Set your destination up in Google maps and tell it to download the maps for offline use. If you get off the interstate and loose cell service out in the back of beyond your phone GPS will still work, as will your maps. About the only thing you miss is accident reports and slowdown notices. And that will seamlessly update as soon as you get cell data back.

21 hours ago, TB2015 said:

Spend a few minutes before you head out someplace with good WiFi. Set your destination up in Google maps and tell it to download the maps for offline use. If you get off the interstate and loose cell service out in the back of beyond your phone GPS will still work, as will your maps. About the only thing you miss is accident reports and slowdown notices. And that will seamlessly update as soon as you get cell data back.

Unfortunately that doesn't work when you're making 7-10 stops a day... I could / should download the state of Ohio if that's possible and I'd be covered.. Good point tho