V.2019 GM Navigation Updates on Sale for $99

So, out of curiosity, I went to the web site to see if there was an update for my Equinox.  Sure, they have one but it’s full price.  $99 was tough to consider, but $169?  Not going to happen. 

All I know is none of those map apps work on my flip dumb phone...

Course my factory Nav don’t work since I ain’t got that either...

The wife’s 8 year old Garmin with free lifetime updates seems to do the trick updated once a year on vacation using some random hotels WiFi for free.99...

G*D*MN I’M A CHEAP AZZ...

• Like 1

Yeah, found a thread long ago on GPS Power Forum that explains how to upload new maps to a “life is over” Garbage device.

I’d imagine by now “they” have figured out how to properly kill off their newer devices to prevent devices waking up in the mourge...

I bought my 2018 Sierra back in July and its still showing the speed limits from before they changed them here at the PA turnpike back in 2015. I like to keep the DIC on the speed and speed limit screen when on a road trip. So a new truck in 2018 still showing speed limits that changed 3 years ago. I'm assuming the updated map would take care of this. I went to the dealer yesterday for my 10k mile oil change and gmnavdisc.com is where he told me I needed to go to update unfortunately.

On 5/1/2019 at 11:57 PM, davester said:

that doesn't sound right.  garmin may advertise "lifetime updates", but they consider that their "life" is over after 3 or 4 years and there are no more updates for it...

I pulled out my Garmin with lifetime maps and it updated to a new map and did some software updates as well.  I’m not sure how old it it’s, but I’m pretty sure it’s more than three to four years old.  I’m pretty sure I bought it before I had my first iPhone which would have been about 5 or 6 years ago.  Early on, it was better than the phone apps because it could look ahead for hotels and gas stations.  Now, Waze is much better, primarily because it looks ahead and re routes you if needed.  Not to mention the interface.  Of course this is an old unit.  They may be better today but with Waze and Apple Play in my truck, there’s no way I’d spend money on a Garmin. 

On 5/1/2019 at 11:51 PM, wforrest08 said:

All I know is none of those map apps work on my flip dumb phone...

Well, yeah, time to get a phone from this century.  My parents are in their 60's and have smart phones (and are NOT tech savvy). 

• Like 1

For the $100 spent on this to simply get a few "updated" street names or zip code changes to show on your screen you could put this money towards an extended GPS receiver... If service is an actual "ISSUE"

I personally know the Dual SkyPro GPS receiver's work amazing, and you can actually have up to 5 devices hooked up to it. You can leave it powered on always, or take it where you please. https://gps.dualav.com/explore-by-product/xgps160

5 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

Well, yeah, time to get a phone from this century.  My parents are in their 60's and have smart phones (and are NOT tech savvy). 

WHY? I use my phone as well a phone that’s it... have a Ipad and a IPod and a laptop and a camera and a whatever eles to do whatever I need.  My phone fits in my pocket don’t have to wear it hanging off my side like a dog collar. Leave it where ever I want nobody wants to steal it. Don’t need chargers everywhere I go cause the battery lasts for 5+ days. No need for insurance a new one on Flebay cost jack sh!t and always have my last one as a back up. No case needed. Drop it on the ground no chance of a broken/scratched screen. Freezes up, gets hacked, or “bugs” 0% of the time. We go to the farm I get my phone calls, wife with her IPhone 14.5+ (or whatever # they are on) gets missed calls & voicemails. Has Bluetooth to connect to the truck for hands free apparently a lot of these new smart phones don’t or people can’t figure out how to link them or mic sucks cause I see all kinds of people driving around holding their smartphones to talk in newer more optioned GM trucks than mine? Gee your right I’m really missing out...

Yeah my mommy had one too, every time I went to her house it was 99 questions on how this or that works. That was fun also...

• Like 2

On 4/29/2019 at 10:50 PM, SWOYER said:

I wouldn't update the factory GPS for $10 and a free beer to be honest. I wish mine didn't have it. 

If you wish you didnt have it, im sure that there are others would trade hmi modules along with programming so they have gps and you dont.  You do know that you dont HAVE to use it. 

Edit, read to fast... i hear ya on the android auto and being forced to get it when getting a high trimmed truck.. but on a $55k truck, is it that terrible to have it?

Edited by RACERX7775

So they're charging people with 2019 trucks $99 halfway through 2019 for an update? That seems like a huge slap in the face when your truck isn't even a year old model yet...