steering wheel noise at low speeds

On 9/23/2019 at 8:27 PM, JamieBJames said:

I’m having noises coming from the brake pedal from day one. Now tonight I’m hearing the steering wheel creek like leather rubbing together. I don’t know if I should bring it in or just drive it..

Both noises went away for me. I have 5000 miles on mine now and never hear them any more. YMMV. 

• 10 months later...

The steering column on my 2020 is making a noise whenever I turn the wheel. It’s more of a mild grinding/creaking noise that I can hear and feel when turning at low or no speed. I can’t find any information on this from GM yet, but I’m going to mention it when I go to the service department next.

I was about to bump this as well for the leather creaking noise from the steering column on my truck. Can only hear it (and kinda feel it) with the radio and air turned down so not a huge issue but annoying.

With my head down by the pedals and watching the column while turning the wheel, I (think) its the column rubbing against the boot and retainer as it turns, it really pushes that thing side to side a lot when turning the wheel. 

I've already tried the lithium grease idea (3 times) and it did nothing. I don't think I can get the grease into the right area and I've already made a mess of it.

I had an issue where turning low speeds in both directions I heard a creaking/squeaking noise...they said their was a tsb for the boot needing the be lubricated...haven’t had any further noise since then....when I first described the noise my advisor said it sounded like I needed a new steering column and he already had a few trucks waiting for one...guess all on back order due to covid 

Bump for anyone that knows what was done and how to fix this, I feel like the boot needing lubrication is the solution I just can't figure out how or where (outside of everywhere I've already tried.) Or maybe a new column I guess sigh, just hate to have to go that route. If I couldn't feel the clicks it wouldn't be so bad.

Edited by batman900

Well, props to the wife for helping me just now outside in the Oklahoma heat after getting out of the shower lol. She pushed on the rubber boot where the column goes through the firewall. Pushing on the sides and top did nothing but when she pushed hard on the bottom, both noise and feel of the click went away. I honestly have no idea how to fix that lol because everywhere I can reach to spray grease has been greased. But at least now I know exactly where it's coming from. She said it felt like a ridge of the boot was popping in and out as the column pushes it around.

Edited by batman900

Mine was making a squeaking sound a few months ago and the dealership replaced the boot because it was binding somewhere. Now I have a bad scrubbing sound in the steering wheel so they replaced the airbag coil and now they ordered the trim piece behind the steering wheel where the gear shift is.

8 hours ago, Brandon Adams said:

Mine was making a squeaking sound a few months ago and the dealership replaced the boot because it was binding somewhere. Now I have a bad scrubbing sound in the steering wheel so they replaced the airbag coil and now they ordered the trim piece behind the steering wheel where the gear shift is.

Goodness that's a lot!

Edit: Just got back from the dealership, I've worked with my tech before and he's a really good guy that gave me a bunch of his time. He was able to hear and feel the clicking and also believes its the rubber boot. He pulled up a brand new Silverado and had me crank the wheel left and right while he looked at the boot under the hood. He said it moved more than mine and asked me if I heard or felt clicking..... yes unfortunately... it was worse than mine is. Guess Imma just live with it. My 19 didn't do it but my 19 also shifted like crap and the camera would flicker a bunch, neither are issues on my 20, so I suppose I'm still winning here.

Edited by batman900

• 2 weeks later...

Fixed it. After 2 days of driving at least 90% of any steering wheel creaking/clicking is gone.

It was the outside portion of the boot (under the hood) that the steering shaft travels through. I did 2 things at the same time but I believe just 1 of those things fixed it. First I tightened the bolts holding the boot to the firewall. I got more than 1 full turn from each bolt, I couldn't reach the bolt on the far right so I haven't tightened it. Then I lubed where the steering shaft comes out of the boot. It's air tight so I tried pinching the top with pliers to insert the grease can nozzle, then twisted it around to spread the grease. I also pushed the boot back, sprayed the shaft and then pulled the boot forward (gah this message would make a teen crack up.) I believe as the shaft turns and pushes the boot side to side, that grippy tight rubber seal catches and jumps causing the leather creaking / clicking sound. 

I tried absolutely everything from inside the truck first and nothing helped but this did the trick..... at least until the grease dries up. I used white lithium in a spray can. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/17/2020 at 6:11 PM, batman900 said:

Fixed it. After 2 days of driving at least 90% of any steering wheel creaking/clicking is gone.

It was the outside portion of the boot (under the hood) that the steering shaft travels through. I did 2 things at the same time but I believe just 1 of those things fixed it. First I tightened the bolts holding the boot to the firewall. I got more than 1 full turn from each bolt, I couldn't reach the bolt on the far right so I haven't tightened it. Then I lubed where the steering shaft comes out of the boot. It's air tight so I tried pinching the top with pliers to insert the grease can nozzle, then twisted it around to spread the grease. I also pushed the boot back, sprayed the shaft and then pulled the boot forward (gah this message would make a teen crack up.) I believe as the shaft turns and pushes the boot side to side, that grippy tight rubber seal catches and jumps causing the leather creaking / clicking sound. 

I tried absolutely everything from inside the truck first and nothing helped but this did the trick..... at least until the grease dries up. I used white lithium in a spray can. 

Thanks for the info. How’s it holding up? Did you pass this info on to the service department? I wonder if there’s a TSB floating around now.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, EricTheRed said:

Thanks for the info. How’s it holding up? Did you pass this info on to the service department? I wonder if there’s a TSB floating around now.

I ended up selling off the truck for a 10k profit and have a 4Runner TRD Off Road now. But it held up just fine for the 3 or so weeks I drove it after applying the grease. I did get under the hood and sprayed it one more time after my post for good measure, I jammed the boot back against the firewall and applied a bunch before letting go.... but the obnoxious creaking hadn't come back. The service guy agreed with my idea that it was the boot but didn't offer a fix since they had new trucks on the lot that creaked also. He lives around town, if I see him I plan to pass on the info.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...