steering wheel noise at low speeds

Trying to figure out if this noise is something all of the new trucks do.  Mine is making a slight whining noise when steering at very low speeds.  I checked closely for any obstructions between the wheel and steering column, there was nothing.  The noise is always present and the tone does not change.  Quiet, but easily heard with the radio off.

I actually just heard an odd noise from my steering column when I was backing in my truck at work this morning. I'll have to listen for it again when I go home, but I did notice it and found it strange. 

22 hours ago, Thejet07 said:

My truck is going in tomorrow for steering/wheel column noise. Mine has a creak at low speeds when turning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they say it's "normal" ask to drive another.  Let me know what you find out.

On 5/3/2019 at 12:19 PM, econometrics said:

I actually just heard an odd noise from my steering column when I was backing in my truck at work this morning. I'll have to listen for it again when I go home, but I did notice it and found it strange. 

Did you figure out if it is doing it all the time and you just never noticed it or did it stop?

Just now, DirkDiggler84 said:

Did you figure out if it is doing it all the time and you just never noticed it or did it stop?

I haven't heard it again, actually. It's been a couple of days since I've driven the truck, so I'll pay attention today when I am out and about. 

Drove my truck without any radio/music on today, and most certainly heard this noise in the steering column again. Usually just at low speeds when I am really cranking the steering wheel to turn the truck. 

It's like some kind of weird blend between creaking leather and something ticking, you know? Only lasts about 1 second each time. No clue what it is. 

I'm not really concerned about it. I'll just "add it to the list" for whenever I go in to get my first oil change. If the dealer has had other people with the issue, I'll let them look at it. If not, I'm not going to waste my time having them try to fix it. 

I had the tech with me yesterday to show him the sound. He heard the noise along with my brake/brake pedal issue. This was yesterday morning. They told me I should here from them by end of day. They still have my truck and I haven’t heard from them yet. I’m curious to see what they find.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thejet07 said:

So just to keep you guys posted they are replacing my steering column.

Wow! So they diagnosed what was causing it? Had they seen this with any other T1s?