2019 Silverado Custom (non trail boss)

Hi guys, 

Looking into buying a new truck and the best bang for the buck really seems to be the Silverado Custom version. I probably would not go for the Trail Boss version as I don't plan on any serious off roading. There are not a lot of them around. Watched a few reviews and it seems to be a very basic truck and it doesn't have the new 8 speed tranny, but the price is very attractive. 

Anyone has the Custom non-trail boss version ? How do you like it ? Confortable on long trips (doesn't seem to have any lumbar support) ? 

Thanks

I have a custom trail boss but the truck is very similar. I went for the custom series because it still retains the 6 speed. the 8 and 10 speeds are a disaster if you ask me. I drove a few with the 8 speed and it shifted terrible. The seats have no lumbar and the interior is basic but I like that. My trail boss rides awesome. Way better then my 16. 

I have a custom trail boss but the truck is very similar. I went for the custom series because it still retains the 6 speed. the 8 and 10 speeds are a disaster if you ask me. I drove a few with the 8 speed and it shifted terrible. The seats have no lumbar and the interior is basic but I like that. My trail boss rides awesome. Way better then my 16. 
I miss my 07 4spd lol. After 180k I've learned the 6spd and can control it/work with is well but I want LESS gears!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comparing the on-paper specs only, the Custom does appear to me to be the best value for those who don't want to spend a fortune.  The only disappointment for me is the halogen headlamps.  That's a step back from the 2018 Sierra Base. 

Just about every GM 4L60E transmission I had was problematic. My '05 Avalanche 4 speed shelled at around 43K

I can say that I like my '14 Sierra 6 speed much more. Every now and then it gets confused but I attribute that to AFM.

Otherwise I do not have any complaints and am also Glad I do not have the 8 or a 10.

Dave, best advice I can give is go test drive a custom.

As far as the Custom Trail Boss goes, they are out there for around 42K.

Of course just depends on whether you want a CC or Double Cab or even a RC.

Edited by Sierra Dan

It is indeed a very basic truck if that’s what you’re after. It’s kinda short on storage inside...that’s the main complaint I’ve heard. 

I’d say drive one, and drive an LT / RST as well. The incentives usually are the best on those two models, so for a modest price difference over the Custom, you could wind up getting a LOT more features. The interior on the LT or RST is a night and day difference as far as storage spaces and general quality/ feel. Just a thought...

I would get the LT with the 5.3 and DFM. It drives so much smoother than the AFM on the older 5.3 in the custom.

My 8 speed isn't perfect but I feel it is an improvement over the 6spd I had on my 16 that would clunk every time I lifted my foot off the gas.

The rebates on the higher trim trucks might make the cost almost the same as the custom models.

Also long term resale value is also something to consider.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

There are a lot of really good incentives on the LT -- at least there was in April here in California.  So not sure you get better value on a custom.  I just paid $41k for my crewcab 4x4 LT with some options on it.

Surprised to hear people like the 6 speed better.  One of the things I hated most about the 2017 I had was the 6-speed trans, especially after coming off an 8 speed in the 2014 Ram I had before.  The 8 speed in my 2019 is not quite as good as Ram's 8 speed ZF (performance-wise, wouldn't speak to reliability in a Ram), but it's FAR superior to the 6 speed IMO.  On reliability we won't know for awhile yet, but it drives so much smoother.  With the 6 speed towing in mountains many times I couldn't get just the right gear, the extra gears give you more options.

Well worth going LT if it means getting the 8 speed instead of the 6, just my opinion.

24 minutes ago, scdaren said:

There are a lot of really good incentives on the LT -- at least there was in April here in California.  So not sure you get better value on a custom.  I just paid $41k for my crewcab 4x4 LT with some options on it.

Surprised to hear people like the 6 speed better.  One of the things I hated most about the 2017 I had was the 6-speed trans, especially after coming off an 8 speed in the 2014 Ram I had before.  The 8 speed in my 2019 is not quite as good as Ram's 8 speed ZF (performance-wise, wouldn't speak to reliability in a Ram), but it's FAR superior to the 6 speed IMO.  On reliability we won't know for awhile yet, but it drives so much smoother.  With the 6 speed towing in mountains many times I couldn't get just the right gear, the extra gears give you more options.

Well worth going LT if it means getting the 8 speed instead of the 6, just my opinion.

Since I'm not shopping for a new truck right now, I have not kept a close eye on incentives, but in my area, they were running radio ads for the Custom and Custom Trail Boss. 

There are at least two dozen Custom Trim level Silverado's most Double Cab and some crew cab ranging from 32-37K within a 100 mile radius of where I am.

Trail Boss Customs are around 42-45K

Dave, head to Cars.com

The problem with test drives with these transmissions that are out now the trans hasn't learned yet and are going to shift funny at first till it learns the driving habit. Mine shifted strange on a test drive but I knew it had to learn and after about 100 miles its smooth as butter.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Silverado4x4 said:

The problem with test drives with these transmissions that are out now the trans hasn't learned yet and are going to shift funny at first till it learns the driving habit. Mine shifted strange on a test drive but I knew it had to learn and after about 100 miles its smooth as butter.

^ This!  If you can, test drive one with a few hundred miles on it.  I first test drove one that had 350 miles on it because it was a dealer trade, and was super smooth.  Then drove one with like 20 miles on it, and it was shifting super hard, bucking like crazy.  These transmissions will learn your driving habits.  If you ever get the computer cleared out, it will happen again and have to relearn.

The only kick in the nuts for the custom series is no storage in the center console. I still believe you are better off with the 6 speed. I drove an LT demo with 2000 miles on it and the trans was still confused and had a super harsh down shifts in certain gears.