06 electrical problem

Heater fan not working, but ocasionally does run on level 5 only.

Checked fuse, replaced the resistor or whatever it is called that mounts beside the fan motor, no change . Sometimes turning the ignition off and back on allowes setting 5 to work while sitting still. Is there a relay somewhere that could be the culprit? Any ideas?

What resistor did you use? Did you use one where you had to hack the wire harness to get it to work with yours (Universal TYPE) ?

I can't remember where I saw the video but I do recall seeing one on YouTube where you can test everything. Weird thing is I've did it a few times over the years but always have a hard time describing the procedure. 

Search something such as " How to test blower motor, capacitor and switch on year make and model TYPE of vehicle." 

I use a power probe which is why I'm use to one way but with a multimeter you can do the same thing. A regular test light would light at different levels of brightness to show the switch / resistor is working properly. 

Ill go dig quick and see if I can find it. Normally I look it up on shopkey pro. 

If you do a lot of your own work you can get Mitchell DIY and you can pay about $45 for four or five years which is relatively cheap and you get access to all the repair information, torque specs, test procedures, wiring diagrams and everything to do with your vehicle. 

Test the wiring harness connect at the resistor pack to make sure it's clean, and not damaged (it can fail over time due to the power going through the wires/connectors).

Seconding getting access to the full-service manual, either online (another source is alldatadiy.com) or the paper version (helminc.com).

I know years ago while still under warranty when my blower was acting up and only working on setting 5 the chevy dealer replaced the blower motor and resistor at the same time. 

It's weird that you replaced the resistor next to the blower motor and it still only works in setting 5. I would've thought it would been the resolution to your problem unless you have another issue. 

11 hours ago, Balzacbeach said:

Haven't had a chance to look at it. I am wondering if there is a ground problem but do not know where to look, as have never in all my years had a ground not working!

These are ground side switched as they have power all the time and the ground controls the speed if I have my terms  correct. I'm still learning this stuff in some areas.