The perfect truck?

Last year I moved on from my Silverado 2500 into a new Sierra 1500 SLT. Been largely disappointed for many reasons, but especially when towing. 

So for last month, I’ve scoured the web and it’s either price or lack of options that prevents me from moving out of my Sierra. 

But it today I found a leftover 2018 Sierra SLT, fully loaded, and with the 6.2!!! It’s my dream truck, except for the payload. 

I tow a camper twice a year and my truck is maxed out. I tow about 55 miles each way, at highway speeds, truck is pretty empty and camper is empty. 

So despite the lower payload,  will the 6.2 improve my towing experience?

What issues exist with the 8 speed in the 6.2? I know there are some shutter problems, but beyond that I don’t know. 

I've had a 15 5.3 and 6 speed and now have an 18 6.2 8 speed.  I tow a 4000ish pound boat about every other weekend in the summer and a heavier pontoon about twice a year.  The 6.2 seems like it's hardly working, but the 5.3 seemed like a constant battle.  I'd definitely get the 6.2.   

The increased power of a 6.2 over the 5.3 may give you an improved "experience" but why not look for a truck with a higher payload?   Towing with a vehicle rated to pull your trailer is a much safer alternative than being able to drive faster in an overloaded tow vehicle, imo  I pull a 4000 lb+ trailer with my 4.3 and don't have problems from a lack of power.  Yes, I have to work the pedal more to pass slow moving traffic when climbing hills but I don't feel underpowered.  If I move up to a much heavier trailer,  I would move to a truck with a commensurately higher tow rating.  Perhaps a truck with a NHT (max tow) package  (5.3 or 6.2) would be a good option in your situation.  If I end up where I will be regularly towing a heavier trailer I'll move to a 2500.

23 minutes ago, Donstar said:

....  Perhaps a truck with a NHT (max tow) package  (5.3 or 6.2) would be a good option in your situation.  If I end up where I will be regularly towing a heavier trailer I'll move to a 2500.

That's like finding a unicorn, especially with the 6.2!  I found literally just a handful within 200 miles of me, but price becomes the limiting factor then.

• Like 1

Despite the lack of big hp numbers, my 2017 Silverado hd is leaps and bounds over my last 1500 with the 5.3, trailering package and 6 speed. If the current HD only had the new 6.6 that is coming out I think it would be pretty much perfect.

A lot has to do with the grades on the road you tow. I have the 6.2L and it's a beast. I have a 28'9" V Nose Aluminum trailer that I use for Sleds. It weighs about 2700# empty. With 3 sleds in it and gear, I'm looking around low 4,000 #'s. I swear, sometimes I forget it's behind me when towing. When I get into the mountains of Vt, it will hunt around a bit in the lower gears, but this is only on serious grades with truck climb lanes. 

On the other hand, awhile back I had a Chevy Tahoe and had a 29" Travel trailer. I used to go fishing and camping in the mountains of Utah, near Zion. Some of the hills and grades were brutal. I don't recall what the trailer weighed, but sometimes I'd have the pedal to the floor and was maxed out at 30mph on a steep hill. It was brutal.. I swear sometimes I thought the damn pistons were going to come through the hood. This always happened when I had lost momentum when some idiots in car's were sight seeing and forming blockades on the hills. You'd lose speed and were dead. Same SUV was great at pulling a 28' boat, but that trailer killed me.  

The 6.2L with some exhaust mods is a hoot to drive and gets great gas mileage. I've never had an issue with the transmission. The hill descent is sweet also with a load. I have no experience with the 5.3L , but very happy with the bigger motor. So glad I was patient and kept looking till I found one. Those Travel Trailers are boxy and have no aerodynamics. 

• Like 1

Those Travel Trailers are boxy and have no aerodynamics. 

^ this

We have a 20ft attitude toyhauler. Lots of tongue weight and it’s like pulling a parachute. My 1500 had airbags with on board compressor, sway bar and weight distribution and I still felt like it was all over the road. Getting into an HD fixed all that. I can pull up Mt Lassen 55-60 mph with the trailer loaded, not even breaking a sweat.....in 100 degree weather.

Did it with the 1500.......30-35 mph most of the way and hating life by the time we were at the top.

23 hours ago, SouthpawHD said:

Last year I moved on from my Silverado 2500 into a new Sierra 1500 SLT. Been largely disappointed for many reasons, but especially when towing. 

So besides power what are the other disappointments of the 1/2tonner compared to the HD? 

More importantly would you be happy with your current set up if the truck had 100 more hp and 50 more foot pounds? Probably not...

My 015 crew was a replacement for our Tahoe since there is no way in H3LL I’ll pay what they want for newer Hoes. I opted for the 5.3 cause I have a HD for towing. Only thing I’ve ever towed yet that I prefer the 1/2tonner is the utility trailer with the sidexside on it when we both go somewhere with it. Otherwise it’s the HD all the way for towing or hauling as it’s better equipped all the way around.

47 minutes ago, wforrest08 said:

So besides power what are the other disappointments of the 1/2tonner compared to the HD? 

More importantly would you be happy with your current set up if the truck had 100 more hp and 50 more foot pounds? Probably not...

Part of my isssue with the truck is I got ripped off by the dealer, I just haven’t gotten over it. I was promised more features and amenities, and part of it is that I want those features. 

But the 5.3, while adequate, just isn’t fun to drive and is a little gutless while towing. I’m afraid to mod it in any way as I don’t want to sacrifice power because of the occasional need to tow. 

But I bet 100 more HP is a lot of fun to drive!!!

Throw a blower on it and be done. 

You said you would be towing twice a year, and about 55 miles each way? You also said you got ripped off by the dealer. How were you promised more features? Did you have your eyes closed when you bought it? 

So, you are thinking about getting a new truck because you tow 220 miles A YEAR? If you are that worried about it, go rent a truck from enterprise for the 220 miles a year. If you got ripped off when you bought it, whats gonna happen when you go to trade it?

Sorry if I sound like an ass, Its just my opinion on this. And we know what opinions are like.. I am not trying to be derogatory in any way. Im thinking logically if it were me.

I love my 6.2 max tow NHT crew standard bed. Good payload for a loaded half ton at 1900lbs. My towing is 11,700 but I wouldn’t want to tow that with a half ton. Probably would be a little higher if I didn’t have sunroof, heated cooled leather,etc. 

6.2 and 8 speed are excellent towing my 4000lb enclosed box trailer loaded with utv and camping gear. This is through the mountains at 5k - 8k elevation. Truck is always in the correct gear and a downshift isn’t much of a drop or jump in Gear spacing. 

My next dream truck is the 2020 HD AT4 with duramax or the 6.6L gas ONLY when GM offers it with the 10 speed! I was excited about the 3.0L in-line diesel1500 but they only rate towing at 9600lb when a max tow 5.3 or 6.2 is rated around 12k. 

Edited by 2018GMC

Have to love all that torque avail at such a low rpm with diesels. 

3.0L 460tq@1500

6.2L 460tq@4100

Edited by 2018GMC