Long Term Carbon Deposits

5 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Interesting video. I've seen others of his and they're very informative. Next I would like him to explain how you look like you are 25 but have grey streaks in your hair :D

Interesting video. I've seen others of his and they're very informative. Next I would like him to explain how you look like you are 25 but have grey streaks in your hair [emoji3]

Looks to me it’s proof that it’s beneficial to use a Catch Can. It’s totally up to the owner of the vehicle, may be easy for most to mess with it but some just want to drive it, later trade it for next model but I personally am using Lucas Fuel Treatment literally in every full tank and since I’ve been using it I’ve noticed zero issues. Do I think there will be zero issues down the road? Who knows, but till I notice any issues I’ll be using it along with Amsoil Signature Series 100% Synthetic and changing every 5K miles.

My wife’s 16, 5.3 SLT Yukon XL had rough idle caused by carbon build up under 20k miles and dealership wanted to charge me $300 just to pour in their special fuel additive so I declined and started using Lucas Fuel Treatment, never had any issues after that. I don’t know whether I’ve got carbon build up but the one thing which is for certain: Truck has 20k miles on it with ZERO issues which personally I contribute to using Lucas Fuel Treatment since I’ve bought the truck brand new. Btw, due to kids now older, getting their own cars, flying is the new necessity, the Yukon XL has been replaced by a couple new BMW’s lol

Sent from above

On ‎6‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 1:59 PM, 14tungstenLT said:

soooooooo anyone with a can please post a pic for comparative reasons.  This is not a challenge truly curious to see.  

Yes it is :D and a good one. 

I want to see the one that looks better than the one submitted without as well. :thumbs:

And then the explanation of what benefit there is between two. 

19 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Many members here do not have a catch can and are well over 100K on their non K2 trucks without issues.

No disrespect to those of you that run a catch can and i encourage anyone to follow with what makes them the most content, but the

question remains. If this carbon buildup is such a problem long term why do automakers not include an Oem engineered Catch Can setup from the factory?

Is it an extra cost issue or that engineers feel a catch can is not a crucial component to the longevity of an engine?

Or GM doesn't want your engine to last 300k+ because then they wouldn't sell enough parts and trucks to turn a handsome profit? 

8 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Looks to me it’s proof that it’s beneficial to use a Catch Can. It’s totally up to the owner of the vehicle, may be easy for most to mess with it but some just want to drive it, later trade it for next model but I personally am using Lucas Fuel Treatment literally in every full tank and since I’ve been using it I’ve noticed zero issues. Do I think there will be zero issues down the road? Who knows, but till I notice any issues I’ll be using it along with Amsoil Signature Series 100% Synthetic and changing every 5K miles.

My wife’s 16, 5.3 SLT Yukon XL had rough idle caused by carbon build up under 20k miles and dealership wanted to charge me $300 just to pour in their special fuel additive so I declined and started using Lucas Fuel Treatment, never had any issues after that. I don’t know whether I’ve got carbon build up but the one thing which is for certain: Truck has 20k miles on it with ZERO issues which personally I contribute to using Lucas Fuel Treatment since I’ve bought the truck brand new. Btw, due to kids now older, getting their own cars, flying is the new necessity, the Yukon XL has been replaced by a couple new BMW’s lol

Sent from above

I've got 52k miles, only run E85, don't drive like my gramps. No misfires or anything. Never run fuel cleaner or catch can. If I was keeping the truck long term I'd probably get a catch can and clean the valves (if needed) but I've decided to sell the truck in a few months.

I've got 52k miles, only run E85, don't drive like my gramps. No misfires or anything. Never run fuel cleaner or catch can. If I was keeping the truck long term I'd probably get a catch can and clean the valves (if needed) but I've decided to sell the truck in a few months.

E85 is a very clean burning fuel, as a matter of fact I bet your valves are in excellent condition but for those of us that don’t have E85 capabilities, we’re stuck with all sorts of ideas lol

Sent from above

On 6/18/2019 at 3:29 PM, Sierra Dan said:

If this carbon buildup is such a problem long term why do automakers not include an Oem engineered Catch Can setup from the factory?

Is it an extra cost issue or that engineers feel a catch can is not a crucial component to the longevity of an engine?

It’s because it’s a maintenance item. It will fill up and need to be drained and the bulk of the people out there wouldn’t do that. Hell they probably wouldn’t even know their automobile had a catch can at all since most people don’t read their owners manuals. 

On 6/18/2019 at 4:00 PM, truckguy82 said:

Because it can freeze

That’s bs 

2 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

E85 is a very clean burning fuel, as a matter of fact I bet your valves are in excellent condition but for those of us that don’t have E85 capabilities, we’re stuck with all sorts of ideas lol

Sent from above

I got the truck with 30,050 miles so I'm not sure what the previous owner used. 22k with me and only E85. I am curious how it looks but just not worth my time now that it'll be gone soon.

I got the truck with 30,050 miles so I'm not sure what the previous owner used. 22k with me and only E85. I am curious how it looks but just not worth my time now that it'll be gone soon.

Is it a flex fuel 5.3 and what r u looking to get next?

Sent from above

Yes to Flex Fuel. Wife and I are going down to 1 car for the foreseeable future.

You’re going to sell your truck and share one vehicle between the two?

Sent from above

6 minutes ago, TXGREEK said:

You’re going to sell your truck and share one vehicle between the two?

Sent from above

That's right. I work nights and work 3 nights one week and 4 the next. She works part time on weekday mornings after I get home from work. If we end up needing a 2nd car I'll get a beater, or make her walk to work since it's only 1.5 miles away :D

• Haha 1

all these videos of "do catch cans work?" and they all show what its caught it a weeks time.  Im not saying that doesn't convince me because i am already going to do it on my next truck regardless.  But what really needs to be seen is intake valves on similar mileage vehicles with and without catch cans.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Jacoby said:

It’s because it’s a maintenance item. It will fill up and need to be drained and the bulk of the people out there wouldn’t do that. Hell they probably wouldn’t even know their automobile had a catch can at all since most people don’t read their owners manuals. 

That’s bs 

Imo not bs, if it freezes and blocks the pcv it could blow the rear main seal.

How could you sell a truck with something like that, in which a solid 20% of the country sees temps low enough to freeze the 90% water mixture and clog up the line.