Long Term Carbon Deposits

22 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Looks to me it’s proof that it’s beneficial to use a Catch Can.

Where is the proof? Proof would be here is engine A without a catch can over X miles and here is engine B with a catch can over X miles, see the massive difference? Some guy explaining how they work and the supposed benefits without actual side by side comparison is no proof. Pictures that others have posted on how minimal the build up is over 100k+ is proof.

People need to do more actual investigating into what causes the issues and historically what has been the issue instead of reading theories on forums from companies trying to market and sell products. The cars for the most part that have had the issues historically have either been A, adapted to direct injection or B were an early adapter and weren't fully aware of what goes on with the new technology in the combustion chamber. I read an article from a GM power train engineer who was specifically addressing that issue with this latest generation of GM engines (specifically the V8's for the trucks and cars). He mentioned build up wasn't so much caused by oil that was coming from the intake which is minimal but poorly designed combustion chambers, timing and fuel. Using a quality fuel that burns clean and leaves less deposits, designing the combustion chamber for optimal efficiency and timing it correctly with fuel spray, valve closing/opening, etc. and using quality oil with regular changes were the largest drivers of this. Valve deposits have been well known for a few decades now, you don't think this is tested in their how many millions of miles of and hundreds of thousands of hours of testing?

Tyler

• Like 2

Where is the proof? Proof would be here is engine A without a catch can over X miles and here is engine B with a catch can over X miles, see the massive difference? Some guy explaining how they work and the supposed benefits without actual side by side comparison is no proof. Pictures that others have posted on how minimal the build up is over 100k+ is proof.

People need to do more actual investigating into what causes the issues and historically what has been the issue instead of reading theories on forums from companies trying to market and sell products. The cars for the most part that have had the issues historically have either been A, adapted to direct injection or B were an early adapter and weren't fully aware of what goes on with the new technology in the combustion chamber. I read an article from a GM power train engineer who was specifically addressing that issue with this latest generation of GM engines (specifically the V8's for the trucks and cars). He mentioned build up wasn't so much caused by oil that was coming from the intake which is minimal but poorly designed combustion chambers, timing and fuel. Using a quality fuel that burns clean and leaves less deposits, designing the combustion chamber for optimal efficiency and timing it correctly with fuel spray, valve closing/opening, etc. and using quality oil with regular changes were the largest drivers of this. Valve deposits have been well known for a few decades now, you don't think this is tested in their how many millions of miles of and hundreds of thousands of hours of testing?

Tyler

You can believe what you want to believe as well as do your own added investigation into answering your own questions. The obvious is that oily mist or whatever you want to call it whether poor design or whatever is getting back into the engine and this is something that we can ALL agree on. How and what anyone does to help capture as much of the contaminated return air is a step further. I fed super into my Yukon along with Mobil1 annual protection, oil filter every 3-4K miles and in the long run made zero difference, carbon buildup before 20k miles. Only thing that fixed it was Lucas Fuel Treatment. My 18 6.2 runs on nothing but super and is literally fed Lucas Fuel Treatment every full tank along with Amsoil Signature Series every 3-4K miles with Zero issues, so far.

The article I posted offers proof only to those that are proactive throughout their lives. Changing your oil with cheap oil or changing as per manual is not proactive, neither is putting low grade fuel in your truck but many do and later complain as to crappy built motors. I’ve often thought of adding an easy to get to fuel filter system along with a catch can but because of my very busy life, I’ve decided to just do what I’m doing until I’m proven wrong which will land me in a new vehicle anyhow.

One thing I’d like to know is if condensation builds up more by having a catch can versus not having one.

Sent from above

2 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Imo not bs, if it freezes and blocks the pcv it could blow the rear main seal.

How could you sell a truck with something like that, in which a solid 20% of the country sees temps low enough to freeze the 90% water mixture and clog up the line.

First off that's a myth that you read on another forum.  There is not one example anywhere of that causing the issue in question. 

Its now become a lame excuse by people such as yourself as to why they don't get installed from the factory

Its funny to me that people will spend tons of money on pointless things for their trucks, mud tires when you never go offroad, over priced tonneau covers, led lighting, bumpers, lifts/levels, etc etc but they absolutely refuse to drop $150 on a part that has all benefits and no negatives and can provide longer engine life and consistent performance over that engine lifespan. 

It just baffles me

• Like 2

I have a DI engine in a car that’s a 2011 with 96K miles on it. The manufacturer has addressed the carbon issue without a can. Nothing has been done to it other than more frequent oil changes and top tier gas. Runs perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

First off that's a myth that you read on another forum.  There is not one example anywhere of that causing the issue in question. 

Its now become a lame excuse by people such as yourself as to why they don't get installed from the factory

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=catch+can+froze There you go, now do some reading.

Lame excuse by people such as myself? Why exactly am I making excuses up? that really doesn't make any sense

Surely if GM produced a million of these trucks with catch cans, and 1% of them froze up in extreme cold, that would be a gigantic problem.

Also maybe you can tell me why no single manufacturer installs catch cans. There are tons of DI vehicles out there and a lot of them need media blasting after 50-100k miles. Why on earth have none of these manufacturers resorted to a little can that they could manufacturer at high volumes for likely less than $25.

19 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=catch+can+froze There you go, now do some reading.

Lame excuse by people such as myself? Why exactly am I making excuses up? that really doesn't make any sense

Surely if GM produced a million of these trucks with catch cans, and 1% of them froze up in extreme cold, that would be a gigantic problem.

Also maybe you can tell me why no single manufacturer installs catch cans. There are tons of DI vehicles out there and a lot of them need media blasting after 50-100k miles. Why on earth have none of these manufacturers resorted to a little can that they could manufacturer at high volumes for likely less than $25.

Those posts are over 5yrs old and again no proof the catch can was the culprit

We won’t install something because it could freeze and cause problems. THATS AN EXCUSE BRO.   Look up the definition of excuse

and as I said before....  they’re not installed from the factory because they’re a maintenance part. It’s hard enough getting people to change their oil, now you’re gonna tell them there is little can in there somewhere that has to be periodically drained and possibly even more frequently in colder climates. Sorry but that makes way more sense then your EXCUSE that they may freeze

• Like 1

There's a reason they put a 210 thermostat in the truck. It gets hot enough to burn up the moisture and oil residue. The stuff the catch can catches is mostly water vapor that is burned up and a bit of oil mist which is common, natural, and not a negative.

Now if you drive very short trips (1 mile or less), and never let motor come up to temp, you're likely to have more issues, and a "catch can" could theoretically help. For those who warm the motors up entirely during the drive (5-10 miles) regularly, should see no problem.

The catch can is a marketing ploy. "Look at the vapor that could have gone in your intake! It's BAD BAD BAD." Run the motor until it's hot, don't do short trips, and you'll be fine. If million dollar engineers felt this was important, they would have designed it into the system. Cars have been using GDI for some time and there are more issues with other things than valves coking and failing. You're more likely to have bad piston rings, failing injectors, or seal failures than any issues with valvetrain.

Forums often think they know better than engineers who developed the machine in question because someone who had a product to sell them told them to think otherwise. Catch can = anti-vaxer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacoby said:

Those posts are over 5yrs old and again no proof the catch can was the culprit

We won’t install something because it could freeze and cause problems. THATS AN EXCUSE BRO.   Look up the definition of excuse

and as I said before....  they’re not installed from the factory because they’re a maintenance part. It’s hard enough getting people to change their oil, now you’re gonna tell them there is little can in there somewhere that has to be periodically drained and possibly even more frequently in colder climates. Sorry but that makes way more sense then your EXCUSE that they may freeze

Those posts? There are literally 100's of posts and topics, there is no date range

I didn't ask the definition of excuse. Why would I be making an excuse for GM, i don't give a damn. If I'm making an excuse, so are you. The whole excuse accusation just makes no sense. I apologize if you have a learning disability. It's more likely you are immature and uneducated.

32 minutes ago, madsen203 said:

There's a reason they put a 210 thermostat in the truck. It gets hot enough to burn up the moisture and oil residue. The stuff the catch can catches is mostly water vapor that is burned up and a bit of oil mist which is common, natural, and not a negative.

Actually that's wrong, that is nowhere near hot enough to burn oil.

Not to mention, what happens when you burn oil? You leave behind a well known element called carbon. Mr carbon can be found literally inside the combustion chamber. What do you think the temperature inside the combustion chamber is?

• Like 1

Well, Fellow Forum Members, it’s a toss up, no need to insult one another because of not agreeing with ones “THEORIES”. Personally, if you’ve found oil in your return line then there’s no harm in adding a Catch Can but I will stick to my adding Lucas Fuel Treatment into a full tank along with ritually using Amsoil Signature Series real 100% synthetic motor oil change at 3-5K miles. Never heard of RedLine but if Grumpy likes it then it too must be a great product to use as well as Amsoil. Good luck to everyone!

Sent from above

Mom use to put wash on the line when it was -10 F and cloths dried. Put a pan on water on the table and it will evaporate at room temperature. You don't have to get the moisture over the boiling point at atmospheric pressure to remove the moisture. Heat helps speed the process yes but... 

I use to distill water from water based resins to improve solids in the lab at 60 F under vacuum. My Ecotec3 is an orifice based PCV system tied to the manifold which is under vacuum and so is the crankcase by extension. You get your system in the basement to 195 F ish and bingo...water/fuel free oil. 

Vacuum distillation is the heart of oil refining. 

And I'm out of here as well.....:seeya:

I used to think that I wasn't having luck with the ladies because I didn't have a six pack. 

I worked out hard, lost weight and got a six pack. It would draw them much closer to me than before, but still no luck. 

So I gave up and instead went out and bought the ladies six packs....and guess what? IT WORKED! My luck turned for the better! 

Found out years later from my wife (and kid) that the it wasn't about my body, it was about my face. 

Moral of the story? I don't know, but I run both a catch can and CSS and it looks really cool in my engine bay.

Run it if you want, don't run it if you don't want to...wall or no wall, cream or no cream...exercise your right to freedom! Of course that means others will exercise their right to say your catch can doesn't do anything and there isn't any benefit at all....and all that oil that collects in it overtime is from the oil fairy! 

• Haha 2

On 6/19/2019 at 11:37 PM, CombsL83 said:

That's right. I work nights and work 3 nights one week and 4 the next. She works part time on weekday mornings after I get home from work. If we end up needing a 2nd car I'll get a beater, or make her walk to work since it's only 1.5 miles away :D

Can you at least find her a bike on Craigslist? :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1