Should I Go Diesel?

I'm on the fence between buying a 2019 2500 Duramax vs. the 6.0.  Honestly, I don't need the 6.6 Duramax, but the price is under $60k for a Denali...just $59k and change.  Seems like a great deal.  There is the same truck available for about $6k less.  Even though I don't necessarily need the diesel, I wonder if I am money ahead in the long run buying it, in terms of resale value.

In case you're wondering, the reason I say I don't "need" the diesel is that I rarely tow, mainly I need the payload which is higher on gas trucks.

Curious what you guys think.

10 minutes ago, avalonandl said:

Depends how you drive. Long trips, diesel is better. Short trips, lots of stop and go, get the gas.

This pretty much hits the nail on the head.

The exception being if you prefer the way the diesel drives.

Some thing about how it 'pulls/accelerates' without fuss and without downshifting (usually) is different to the gassers. 

Things changed around here (I need neither the payload nor tow rating of an HD) and I tried to give up the 6.6's, but wasn't happy with either of the v-8's in the 1500's, so I'm back with an HD and the 6.6. 

You're very close to being able to get a 2020 with the new 6.6L gasser if that does anything for you. 

LT8 -  Direct Injection and Variable Valve Timing, gasoline, (401 hp [299 kW] @ 5200 rpm, 464 lb-ft of torque [629 N-m] @ 4000 rpm)

23 minutes ago, redwngr said:

You're very close to being able to get a 2020 with the new 6.6L gasser if that does anything for you.

It does indeed, and I thought about it, but I don't know that I want the first model year of that engine.  Plus the deals on the 2019 are pretty good right now, being the end of this model.  The 6.0 Vortec has been pretty much bullet proof.  A little under-powered yes, I've had two of them, so I know them pretty well.  But a damn solid engine.  I just am toying with the diesel given the relatively small price gap.

My only downfall with the diesel in the 2500 is payload loss. Have to move up to a 3500 to get payload back. Sometimes i wish i got the diesel but i hit a red light every 100 ft and my longest daily drive is about 10 miles. Not practical for my application.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Depending on how long you keep it and how many miles you drive it's going to take you a long time to recoup the extra money spent for the diesel that you don't need.  That's just on fuel prices.  Then you have to include all the extra maintenance that the duramax needs vs the 6.0.  Filters, more oil, and def to name a few.  Plus if you keep it long enough for it to go out of warranty how much all the emissions garbage costs to repair/replace.  Even though you may get more for it when it comes time to sell, you probably already paid that difference in maintenance and fuel costs vs a gasser.  Having said that I DD a LMM so what do I know, I did inherit it so that's probably why.  I'm waiting to see what the new gasser is going to be like and if it'll be enough for me to give up my LMM for.

1 hour ago, Chevyguy85 said:

Depending on how long you keep it and how many miles you drive it's going to take you a long time to recoup the extra money spent for the diesel that you don't need.  That's just on fuel prices.  Then you have to include all the extra maintenance that the duramax needs vs the 6.0.  Filters, more oil, and def to name a few.  Plus if you keep it long enough for it to go out of warranty how much all the emissions garbage costs to repair/replace.  Even though you may get more for it when it comes time to sell, you probably already paid that difference in maintenance and fuel costs vs a gasser.  Having said that I DD a LMM so what do I know, I did inherit it so that's probably why.  I'm waiting to see what the new gasser is going to be like and if it'll be enough for me to give up my LMM for.

Solid points, thanks!

8 hours ago, Riggin’ said:

Pulled the trigger on a 2019 Sierra 2500 CC Denali 6.0.  Very happy, beautiful truck.  Now, do I level out the rake or not?  Decisions!!

Lift that bad boy.

On 5/27/2019 at 1:00 PM, Riggin’ said:

Pulled the trigger on a 2019 Sierra 2500 CC Denali 6.0.  Very happy, beautiful truck.  Now, do I level out the rake or not?  Decisions!!

Pics or it never happened.  Congrats on your alleged purchase!  I'll probably be the outlier but I always leave my pickups stock height.  To each their own.

1 hour ago, Chevyguy85 said:

Pics or it never happened.  Congrats on your alleged purchase!  I'll probably be the outlier but I always leave my pickups stock height.  To each their own.

Ditto. leave it alone. Drive it and have fun.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:10 PM, Chevyguy85 said:

Plus if you keep it long enough for it to go out of warranty how much all the emissions garbage costs to repair/replace. 

Thow that stuff in the garbage!  LOL