Test drove '16, Vibration at 60 mph

Hey y'all, new to the site so sorry if this is covered somewhere. I went and test drove a 2016 1500 4x4 double cab 4.3 yesterday, and everything was fine until I got it up to about 55-65 and there was a noticeable vibration. Granted the dealer put brand new tires on it, so my first reaction is maybe they are out of balance (happened to my dads '14). Aside from that, is there anything anyone on here has come across on there 2016 or newer that I need to look for? I'm going to call tomorrow and tell them I'm ready to buy, but need to have them rebalance to make sure that is the issue. Thanks for any help!

Edited by JMoney

Hey y'all, new to the site so sorry if this is covered somewhere. I went and test drove a 2016 1500 4x4 double cab 4.3 yesterday, and everything was fine until I got it up to about 55-65 and there was a noticeable vibration. Granted the dealer put brand new tires on it, so my first reaction is maybe they are out of balance (happened to my dads '14). Aside from that, is there anything anyone on here has come across on there 2016 or newer that I need to look for? I'm going to call tomorrow and tell them I'm ready to buy, but need to have them rebalance to make sure that is the issue. Thanks for any help!

There’s been issues with some trucks. Get them to fix it first. I hope that’s obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Possible causes,

-Driveshaft out of balance.

-Clutch in torque convertor wears down and clutch material inside torque convertor causes out of balance.

-Somebody here had bad axles inside rear axle causing vibration.

-Tires out of balance.

Do not buy unless it is fixed, or you get them to knock a few thousand off. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JMoney said:

Oh yea, absolutely. And if they don't feel the need to take it in their hands to fix it, obviously not someone to do business with.

I'm fairly new here myself, but welcome to the site! A lot of helpful info...

My new 2018 Silverado CC LT has a very slight vibration above 55mph. It was worse, and I did notice it when test driving, but I got them to balance the tires/wheels and that improved the vibration a lot. But still a little vibration above 55/60, but tolerable for now. 

Several years ago I bought a new 2002 Silverado double cab. Noticed a vibration when test driving and mentioned it to the salesman riding with me. He said the tires just needed balancing. I went ahead and purchase the truck; big mistake. They balanced the tires (after purchase) and still a vibration. They ordered new tires and installed... still a vibration. They ordered new wheels... still a vibration. I went back to the dealer to talk to the general manager and service manage about buying the truck back from me or initiating a formal complaint with GM and initiating Lemon law proceedings.

When I got there to discuss the issue, the service manager says "oh, we just got a service bulletin from GM on the vibrations in the new trucks and they said it was the rear leaf-springs". That didn't make sense to me, but I gave them one more chance. They ordered the new rear leaf-springs, installed, and it did indeed fix the vibration. 

But for some reason, I never bonded with that truck and traded it in for a new 2004 double cab. That has been the best new vehicle I've ever owned... and I still have it (124,000 miles).

Make sure they fix the vibration before you buy... or, discount further as previously mentioned. 

Good luck.

Edited by Farmer_2
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Farmer_2 said:

I'm fairly new here myself, but welcome to the site! A lot of helpful info...

My new 2018 Silverado CC LT has a very slight vibration above 55mph. It was worse, and I did notice it when test driving, but I got them to balance the tires/wheels and that improved the vibration a lot. But still a little vibration above 55/60, but tolerable for now. 

Several years ago I bought a new 2002 Silverado double cab. Noticed a vibration when test driving and mentioned it to the salesman riding with me. He said the tires just needed balancing. I went ahead and purchase the truck; big mistake. They balanced the tires (after purchase) and still a vibration. They ordered new tires and installed... still a vibration. They ordered new wheels... still a vibration. I went back to the dealer to talk to the general manager and service manage about buying the truck back from me or initiating a formal complaint with GM and initiating Lemon law proceedings.

When I got there to discuss the issue, the service manager says "oh, we just got a service bulletin from GM on the vibrations in the new trucks and they said it was the rear leaf-springs". That didn't make sense to me, but I gave them one more chance. They ordered the new rear leaf-springs, installed, and it did indeed fix the vibration. 

But for some reason, I never bonded with that truck and traded it in for a new 2004 double cab. That has been the best new vehicle I've ever owned... and I still have it (124,000 miles).

Make sure they fix the vibration before you buy... or, discount further as previously mentioned. 

Good luck.

Ok. Thank you for the information, appreciate it!

Brother in law bought a 2015 and that clown paid $28k for a used Sierra.

Even with 2 people trying to hold down the center console its shakes like mad. His tires are brand new and just balanced.

Poor SOB is gonna go thru alot tryin to fix it. Lucky for him he has a boat. And just got his letter from GM about the bad brake vacuum pump.

GM can’t fix it, Warren Buffett eats the loss thru Geico in a tragic boating accident backing it into a Lake....and thus...”Saved alot of money with Geico”.

Poor Warren Buffett.

• Haha 1

For your reading pleasure...all 832 pages about the Chevy Shake. If you buy it, it comes with a free membership in a class action lawsuit...I think it even has its own wikipedia page about the issue...

Just to beat the dead horse some more:

Don't sign anything until it is fixed to your satisfaction. Don't just believe them if they tell you it's taken care of. Drive it up to the max speed you ever drive and feel it for yourself.

-or-

Go buy one of the thousands of other trucks that don't vibrate. Mine is smooth as silk at 75.