Mileage and Engine Hours

Just out of curiosity, what does everyones mileage look like compared to your engine hours? Mine is at 19,700 mi. and 656.5 hours; that is about 30 miles per engine hour. In my patrol car the hours are really high compared to the mileage since it does a lot of idling day and night. I have read on the GMT forum about the same question but have not found it on the K2 one. I read an article the other day about this in medium duty trucks. Has anyones engine hours reset? It seemed to be an issue on the GMT line...

https://www.worktruckonline.com/159096/measuring-hours-vs-miles-in-medium-duty-truck-performance

Thanks for the links @wforrest08. Everytime I try and search for something I get a bunch of random results with only key words highlighted that have nothing to do with what I am searching. 

I searched for "engine hours" and this is what comes back...page after page...I guess I am spoiled by google and will have to try using traditional boolean search techniques...

image.thumb.png.76ba44fc9f2fce02d7d858b62e5165ca.png

• Like 1

For some reason I believe I had about 49,000 miles on my truck with about 800 idle hours or engine hours I should say and when it came back from the dealer everything was reset to zero. Not the odometer just the engine hours. Piss me off I thought the deal or did it somehow but maybe there's a glitch in it to somehow. Who knows I'm just adding to what I remember what was on there now.

When I bought my truck, it had only just over 300 engine hours, but 190k km, so they were just driving the truck at top speed on an oval periodically for the first 10 years of it's life...  I've added about 90k to it, and engine hours are at 2200 or so I think.

GM has a formula to convert engine hours to mileage to give you a measure of how many "miles" it really would have been driven based on the hours.  Helpful for those with high hours and low miles. 

Converting Engine Hours to Mileage (km)

Fore vehicles that spend a lot of time idling, use the following formula to aid in determining the equivalent mileage (kilometers) for vehicle maintenance. This formula applies to diesel as well as gasoline engines.

1. Check and record the total engine hours on the DIC.
  2. Multiply this time by 33 miles or 53 km.
  3. The result should be close to the mileage on the odometer.

For example, if a vehicle has 626.9 engine hours and 7,269 miles (11,698 km) on the odometer, the engine run time would equal about 20,688 miles (33,226 km).

626.9 x 33 miles = 20,688

626.9 x 53 km = 33,226

This vehicle would be considered a vehicle that idles a lot, which may be useful information when diagnosing any issues.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

My trucks all idle quite a bit.... in winter I won't shut them off over a 12 hour shift.  My old 05 has never reset oddly enough though and at 210000 miles.  It just rolled over 7000 hours which puts it at 30 miles per engine hour.  Nothing else I have has enough miles on it to bother looking lol. 

Edited by SierraHD17