Speaker brand recommendation and sub location

So I'm pretty sure I recently blew out one of the speakers in my truck by jaming a little too high a few weeks back when we had some nice weather. I've been wanting to upgrade my speakers for a while now but think I'm gonna pull the trigger this weekend. I'm still back and forth with pro install vs DIY but I'm curious about two things.

#1 - What brands are giving the best bang for buck now a days? I'm not looking to be anywhere near $1000 a pair. I'd like to be give or take 1k for speakers, amp and single sub. I'm not looking to win any awards here just a decent upgrade over the stock system in volume and lack of distortion. Would be nice to get a bit more range as well, but again, I'm aware this is more plug and play than custom full on speakers.

#2 - In relation to the single sub. I'm wanting to run it either under the pass seat or behind the rear seats. I've got a crew cab so there seems to be enough space for a slim speaker back there. Are the Alpine of JBL slim speakers any good for there? Do I need a custom box or can I just but an off the shelf kit here.

If I was just doing amp and speakers I'd say DIY all the way, but with the sub mount, especially if it's custom, I may just bring it to a pro. If anyone has recommendations for a NH guy please let me know!

To be honest if you are willing to search a bit and do a bit of legwork there are junkyards full of vehicles that have aftermarket speakers in them that will fit our trucks. They go for pennies on the dollar as well. I've pulled full Bose, Pioneer, Alpine, Sony and Kenwood speaker systems out of vehicles for a song.

The shallow mount subs I've had no luck, but I have found 8 to 12" subs and amps, just need to find a box. I did find a 12" Alpine sub in a box, but put it into my AMC Eagle along with a nice Sony amp and Pioneer speakers (I believe). I wish that the Alpine sub would fit into my Sierra, that thing is fu*cking insane.

If you're buying retail Bose is really nice, so is Alpine and Sony at the lower end. JBL is one of my favorites though, they seem to have brought their game when it comes to small speakers with ridiculous amounts of bass

@Grinnen Thats a good idea but honestly with the hours I work my free time is very limited on the weekend after house work so I'd rather just pay for new than have to find matching working sets and then make sure they are still in good condition etc.

Some of the lower end JBL speakers look like they fit my truck and pricepoint.

The sub is looking like it will be the problem here. I really like my under seat storage box and don't want to lose it. I guess I could cut away the 1/3rd side and mount a sub there. That will be my last ditch solution.

I also saw a custom Alpine box for under the center console, which I don't currently have. That would be solid but it's going to put my cost prob another 2k higher all said and done and I don't really want to do that extra I don't think. Although it would give me somewhere to mount my VHF radio and amp as well, which is nice.

Don’t forget your gonna need a digital sound processor if you want to make it sound good. Replacing your factory speakers with aftermarket isn’t gonna get you the sound your looking for. These factory head units do not put out a good sound signal to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I moved the amp and 10” subs from my ‘07 classic to my 18 crew cab and used a new under rear seat box. Amp is mounted behind the rear seats.

I have a pair of 6.5” infinity reference series I am going to place in the rear doors.

Fronts will be a set of new Infinity reference series components. 6x9 in the door and the mid/tweeter in the dash. I will use the Rockford Fosgate digital processor to drive a new 600x4 amp for the front and provide sub outputs.

The speakers for the front doors, digital processor, front amp, swapping out my speakers in the rear doors, installed and tuned will run me about $1500.

Ok, thanks for the info peeps. My next steps here:

1. Check out a local car audio place or two and listen to some speakers. Checkout a best buy and do the same.
  2. Decide on brand/setup
  3. DIY or have a pro do it

A few things I've heard so far after poking around on youtube and talking to a few places. The "behind the seats/under the pass seat" is going to be hard. The sub just needs the space so that slim space is going to be a challenge. I really wish I could listen to both a single under seat sub and a slim sub in vehicle to compare and contrast.

One thing I was not expecting was just how high you can get with this stuff. Dynamating the whole truck, adding multiple subs, custom enclosures, amps, better wiring, etc. Sky is really the limit on price here. I didn't realize just how much you could spend here.

19 minutes ago, Penguin VII said:

Ok, thanks for the info peeps. My next steps here:

1. Check out a local car audio place or two and listen to some speakers. Checkout a best buy and do the same.
  2. Decide on brand/setup
  3. DIY or have a pro do it

A few things I've heard so far after poking around on youtube and talking to a few places. The "behind the seats/under the pass seat" is going to be hard. The sub just needs the space so that slim space is going to be a challenge. I really wish I could listen to both a single under seat sub and a slim sub in vehicle to compare and contrast.

One thing I was not expecting was just how high you can get with this stuff. Dynamating the whole truck, adding multiple subs, custom enclosures, amps, better wiring, etc. Sky is really the limit on price here. I didn't realize just how much you could spend here.

4. Crutchfield - https://www.crutchfield.com/

Find what you want there then price shop.  They get a little crazy with prices occasionally.

Edited by Darmichar
  • Like 2

Recently went with a full JL audio build. C1 6x9 components in the fronts and 6.5 for the rears. Great speakers for "entry level". Powered by the RD400/4 and it sounds awesome. 

You cant listen to speakers correctly unless its in vehicle.   Depending on budget.  One of my favorite component sets is the stevens audio sa6.5.  It goes for 599 shipped but i feel its underpriced

For anyone interested in following along, went to my first car audio place this evening after work. Listened to Focal (Focal Performance 165AS) and Alpine (R line). The Alpines sounded like absolute trash. I asked if they were hooked up right and if it was the head unit or fact we were listening to music over bluetooth from my phone. Guy said no, they just sound like that. They were markably worse than OEM non-bose truck speakers. I don't know if I believe the guy, really seems like a bait-and-switch tactic where you listen to the Alpines that are $200 then he hits you with the Focal that are $320. Unsure at this point.

Regardless, I would be out the door with the Focal performance line speakers, front and rear, Alpine type-r (SBR-S8-4) sub with box, Alpine amp (not sure which model, said it was 6 channel) and some DSP that is not a full DSP but acts like one that is supposed to be amazing for $200.

Out the door price with install and tuning $2500. I don't know what the expected price is, but hoping I can get by with cheaper than that. Gonna check a few more places and see what I'm looking at.

One thing that he said that raised a bit of a red flag. He said he adds a gain knob under the steering wheel so you can adjust the sub volume. From what I had seen on a few youtube videos you shouldn't adjust the gain knob after you've tuned the system. Anyone have info on this for definitive yes/no?

2 hours ago, Penguin VII said:

One thing that he said that raised a bit of a red flag. He said he adds a gain knob under the steering wheel so you can adjust the sub volume. From what I had seen on a few youtube videos you shouldn't adjust the gain knob after you've tuned the system. Anyone have info on this for definitive yes/no?

I've been out of big stereo systems for a few years now so I can't really speak to what's good or not anymore.  The gain knob is common.  Big bass when you want it or you can reduce the 'boom' when the family or friends are in the truck with you, etc.

Edited by Darmichar

I have all Sun Down Audio equipment. Minus the DSP is Audison Bit10. Sounds terrific. Your best bet is to find a 5 channel amp to power everything. I also was able to squeeze to 12” subs underneath my rear seat down firing. (Everyone said it wasn’t possible and would sound like crap. They were wrong). Used a 2” rear seat lift and built custom box. Fits perfectly and hits hard. I also have the adjustable knob for bass under steering wheel. No issues with that. Want more bass, turn it up. Want less, turn it down.

18 minutes ago, mikedeezxxx said:

I have all Sun Down Audio equipment. Minus the DSP is Audison Bit10. Sounds terrific. Your best bet is to find a 5 channel amp to power everything. I also was able to squeeze to 12” subs underneath my rear seat down firing. (Everyone said it wasn’t possible and would sound like crap. They were wrong). Used a 2” rear seat lift and built custom box. Fits perfectly and hits hard. I also have the adjustable knob for bass under steering wheel. No issues with that. Want more bass, turn it up. Want less, turn it down.

How did you get past the loud chimes when amplifying the speakers? Im building now and i think i figired it out but i want a secind opinion