Best tonneau and why?

I have a 19 with the multi-pro tailgate.  Currently I have a BAK F1 on it and the fit is fairly terrible.

The front seal was far too thick, so I had to leave it off, yet the rubber trim on the cover does not sit down flush.   The rep states the gasket should squish down, but the bolts for installing it are not long enough to allow for that to happen.  If customer service cannot resolve, I may have to install my own, thinner seal.  While I might be able to get it together with the thick seal once, it would not support frequent removal and re-installation.

The drain tubes are the same size as the drain holes in the upper corner of the bed, so right now they're just stuck in there.  As with the seal, I may put on my own, slightly smaller tubes, should customer service not be helpful and I decide to keep it.

Lastly and the most important, the multi-pro tailgate is not flat.  The center section has a slight bow and as a result, when the mounting rails are flush with the bed rails, the cover will not close.  To resolve, I lifted the mounting rails to allow the cover to close once the gate is closed, but it will not work in reverse because the gate hits the cover (which was the main feature that caused me to upgrade to the F1).  Beyond that, the rear corners have massive gaps, thus are not sealed nor secure.

If you have a multi-pro gate, do be careful with the truckhero (Extang, BAK, Undercover, Gator, etc.) covers.  Hopefully the customer service rep I'm working with gets back to me soon, otherwise I will be asking for a refund and looking for another manufacturer.

Anybody have any feedback on the paragon?  

https://www.peragon.com/

That's the one I planned to go with.  Mainly because it can be taken off easily if access to the whole bed is needed.  I also prefer a hard cover vs a soft one.  

It's the one I plan to get.  
Looks awesome, I just wonder what happens if your load shifts forward towards the cab, would you be able to opening it?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looks awesome, I just wonder what happens if your load shifts forward towards the cab, would you be able to opening it?

No bad deal. Aluminum dulls and if it scratches on black you can see it and can't fix it. Also you lose lots of bed space. The tracks have to be super exact and parallel debris get stuck in the folds and they bounce together. I had a similar top and it wore down bad and got stuck also the strap seems to always find itself under the load I was trying to slide in the bed and then you get a gut hit of the item and the strap stuck so far back you need two people to load a sheet of ply.
My trip fold is great one open for boards when tailgate is up all 3 up and I get all the bed. Super strong. And when it is closed it is as secure and any top.
Oh and the key cylinder was replaced 3 times. Never again.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tallspawn said:

Yeah I've thought about that.  I didn't like the idea at first but I do have a cargo bar and I like that drawback more than not being able to see out the back, like with the backflip.  I'll just have to be sure to not let anything too high get directly under where it folds.  I'll likely use it more like a trunk so I think it'll be OK.  

3 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

No bad deal. Aluminum dulls and if it scratches on black you can see it and can't fix it. Also you lose lots of bed space. The tracks have to be super exact and parallel debris get stuck in the folds and they bounce together. I had a similar top and it wore down bad and got stuck also the strap seems to always find itself under the load I was trying to slide in the bed and then you get a gut hit of the item and the strap stuck so far back you need two people to load a sheet of ply.
My trip fold is great one open for boards when tailgate is up all 3 up and I get all the bed. Super strong. And when it is closed it is as secure and any top.
Oh and the key cylinder was replaced 3 times. Never again.

Which one do you recommend?  Sorry if you already mentioned it, was just too lazy to back and reread the thread lol.  

26 minutes ago, lt1z said:

Im waiting on Leer. I liked the 550 I had on my 14 Sierra

Let me know how that goes.  I was looking really hard at the Leer but went with the TruckHero versions because of availability. Unfortunately, it is really disappointing.

Let me know how that goes.  I was looking really hard at the Leer but went with the TruckHero versions because of availability. Unfortunately, it is really disappointing.

I have been happy with their products in the past. I prefer a fiberglass paint matched tonneau to the roll up style.

I just ordered the EXTANG ENCORE, I’ll post pictures when installed. I read a lot of great reviews on it, And got it down to 836 before tax. My friend has had one for three years and no leaks or anything

• Like 1

On 7/14/2019 at 6:52 PM, lt1z said:

I have been happy with their products in the past. I prefer a fiberglass paint matched tonneau to the roll up style.

So I put on the Leer HF350M today and I have run into the same issue.

I will say, the Leer is significantly better than the BAK or Gator covers with regards to build and finish, I really like the cover, but it still has issues with the tailgate and the fact that it is not flat across the top.  I have submitted a help request to Leer on their website, we will see what they say.

Apparently they expect everyone to work through a Leer dealer, but my local dealer never sells any of their stuff and advocates for Truckhero products, which is unfortunate.  I do hope Leer will work with me, because It is a sharp looking and easy to use cover.

So I put on the Leer HF350M today and I have run into the same issue.

I will say, the Leer is significantly better than the BAK or Gator covers with regards to build and finish, I really like the cover, but it still has issues with the tailgate and the fact that it is not flat across the top.  I have submitted a help request to Leer on their website, we will see what they say.

Apparently they expect everyone to work through a Leer dealer, but my local dealer never sells any of their stuff and advocates for Truckhero products, which is unfortunate.  I do hope Leer will work with me, because It is a sharp looking and easy to use cover.
I was just looking at the Leer 350 today at the dealer. What exactly is the issue? I don't understand. Can you post some pics?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I installed the BAK Rev X4 on my 19. It was an easy install by myself in about less than an hour. Alignment took the longest but it all closes flush and easy. The weather stripping on the rails at first was all wrinkled but after being in the sun a few days it all smoothed out and now sits flush, haven't had any leaks or anything on it. The matte textured vinyl like finish on it looks great next to the black plastics on the bed caps and with some UV protection shine on them all it really looks good against the white truck. I know some of you have had some complaints with the BAK but mine went on easy, looks great and functions as advertised. When rolled up I can still see out of the rear view mirror so that's not and issue and one of the reasons I stayed away from a tri fold style cover as well. The tail gate opens with the key fob button just fine as well. 

Now there are two things I done like about it. First the front seal by the cab is very thick, which is not an issue, but it sort of makes the cover bow across it with the middle part of the cover slightly being higher than where it attaches at the corners. It doesn't leak or anything through there but I would like for it to just be flat all the way across. I believe I cam up with a solution for that but I'm currently deployed so I'll see if thee parts I ordered can correct that when I get home.

Second, I think I caused part of this issue, is that I have to pull the cord that contracts the locking latch so that I can close the cover. I'd rather be able to just push it down and have it clip into the latch. However I did accidently bent one of the rails latching mechanism's when I was installing it so I suspect this if my fault and won't put the blame on BAK for that reason.  

Other thank those two things, I'm extremely happy with the product over all