Best tonneau and why?

On 6/22/2019 at 12:49 PM, OnTheReel said:

Had the MX4 on my 16. Didn’t like that it blocked the window when all the way up. Plus it was kinda heavy when folding. Have the Revolver X4 on my 19, works great and much easier to roll up without climbing in the bed.

I have the revolver on my 2014 Silverado Double Cab. I have one word for it. Junk. 5 years and it's coming off as soon as I can decide on the next one to put on. My first beef is it's a total PITA to roll up/down when it's below 40 degrees. I live in Michigan so that means about 6 - 8 months a year. After 5 years, I just opened the tail gate to see the black cloth strips that are   were glued to the underside have come unglued. We've had a few weeks of +85 degree sunny days so my guess is that it took 5 years, but the heat melted whatever cheap adhesive they used. 

For whoever reads this post, save yourself headache and find a different cover - Revolver is great, really, really great at first - make no mistake - I said AT FIRST - but that's it. It won't take but one cold day and most likely, you will wish you got a different cover.

Scrap Cover.jpg

• Like 1

Eh, I dunno, I guess time will tell. It made it through the first round of winter just fine. I put it on in late January, temp was in the 20s when I installed it here in WI. And then it was one of the worst February’s I can remember. Heck, we were getting snow through April.

Worst I can say about it is it was really hard to remove the heavy wet snow from it but that wouldn’t be exclusive to this exact cover. Otherwise no freeze ups or other problems. Not looking to get a lifetime out of it. I’d be shocked if I have this truck 5 years from now.

15 hours ago, Manilla Gorilla said:

Any new updates on this. Any excessive flapping while driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually just got home from vacation where I drove over 1000 miles with it. I didn't hear any flapping. You could see the fabric dipping over the support bars but I'm assuming that's normal. It's not waterproof  but I may just need to do a better job adjusting it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/13/2019 at 4:35 AM, Halemeister said:

I have a RetraxPro XR for my 2019 Sierra 1500 Standard Bed and like it but I'm going to sell it and get a shell for the dog and kid gear.  

Let me know if anyone is interested in a RetraxPro XR in great condition, I'll make you a great deal.  I have the Yakima bars that go on top if interested!

Are u willing to ship to 96819? and how much ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/22/2019 at 8:59 AM, CAE AT4 said:

You may want to look at the Fold-A-Cover G4 elite.

It has the best locking latch system I've seen on a folding cover, and you can't open it with a coat hanger or Slim Jim like the Undercover or Bak.

Has anybody actually bought/used one of these?  They look like they sit a lot higher on the bed than most of the others.  Is the locking mechanism really a big deal on the others? Anybody had an issue?  

3 hours ago, Chris Callanan said:

Has anybody actually bought/used one of these?  They look like they sit a lot higher on the bed than most of the others.  Is the locking mechanism really a big deal on the others? Anybody had an issue?  

I have the FAC on my '19.  Yes it sits higher due to the rails for the cover sitting on the bed rails, not on the inside of the bed.  I haul loads of hay and other stuff so I don't want the rails for the cover to be damaged by whatever I'm hauling.  The lock mechanism is covered up underneath to prevent the use of devices to pop the latches open.  I got this cover because I liked the feature of being able to open the front panel without having to open the entire cover.  

I have been looking all over for a post I read a little bit ago about a hard tonneau that folds so you have full access to the bed without taking cover off.  The price I feel was around $699 that I remember reading and the person who purchased the cover called and got price significantly reduced.  Anyone remember reading this post?  I want a cover that has full access when putting snowmobile in back of truck without taking it off but dont want to pay a grand for a cover.

+1 for gator.  I got mine open box on amazon for $175.  Easy installation.  No problems with flapping or power tailgate.  Watertight through the tropical storm last week.  I prefer soft tonneau.  They cover just fine and roll up totally out of the way when u dont want them there.  spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Had an Access soft tonneau on 2014 and truck before that.   They held up well.  I like the lever on the gator more than the silly pull strap on the access though

Edited by Ezekiel2517

On 8/14/2019 at 6:13 PM, Wheelguy said:

F5DC5407-D3D7-4ACC-A265-F6CE0D43758E.thumb.jpeg.e44e9f322a758a101233f71a74a7496e.jpeg

Got the Ultra Flex installed this evening. Didn’t have to remove the assist handle since I slid the LED light bar on the rail first like I mentioned earlier. Ended up looking almost exactly like your pic as far as bracket & light bar locations. Pretty pleased with it but will have to see how the weather strips behave after a couple of weeks in the sun. Will double check alignment as well - got it close enough for now.

Thanks again for the info & pic - made things much simpler once my dumb a$$ figured out exactly where the brackets fit into the rail. A bird crapped on it not 2 hours after I was done ?

So to be clear, you were able to install everything and not have to remove the handle at all? Things mount around it?

I just ordered the Embark Advantage Aluminum Max from GM with 20% off promotion for Tailgate Month and I had $200 worth of GM Rewards points.

I emailed Retrax concerning this and they promptly replied back and told me the Embark is their Retrax Pro MX that they manufacture for GM specifically. They said either version is of the same quality. They also said that the assist handle will work with this version of the cover where I have been told that the regular Retrax wouldn't allow this handle to fully extend. I assume there are some spacers or something.

$1829 base price with $365 discount straight from GM(20%) and if you have rewards pts then you win again. The cover is warrantied by your dealer and GM approved.

Pics to follow soon as I get it in and installed.

Sent via Morse code

22 hours ago, Chris Callanan said:

So to be clear, you were able to install everything and not have to remove the handle at all? Things mount around it?

Yes. I would recommend installing the included LED light on the rail before clamping the rails. The grab handle will be in the way and prevent the light from sliding towards the cab. You also may have to adjust the clamp location slightly near the grab handle which isn’t a big deal.

If you go back & look at my post that you quoted you can see another member’s pic he provided & it shows the cutouts in the rails for fitment around the grab handle. You should also see why the light won’t slide from tailgate towards the cab.

On 9/28/2019 at 12:38 PM, AgDoctor said:

I just ordered the Embark Advantage Aluminum Max from GM with 20% off promotion for Tailgate Month and I had $200 worth of GM Rewards points.

I emailed Retrax concerning this and they promptly replied back and told me the Embark is their Retrax Pro MX that they manufacture for GM specifically. They said either version is of the same quality. They also said that the assist handle will work with this version of the cover where I have been told that the regular Retrax wouldn't allow this handle to fully extend. I assume there are some spacers or something.

$1829 base price with $365 discount straight from GM(20%) and if you have rewards pts then you win again. The cover is warrantied by your dealer and GM approved.

Pics to follow soon as I get it in and installed.

Sent via Morse code

How did you use your reward points? It says that you can't use it for online purchases.