Broken steering wheel volume control

Yesterday I got in the truck to go somewhere and noticed that my volume down button on the wheel was not clicking and felt kind of mushy. It worked one time to turn the audio down, and then I noticed that it was floppy and not returning. It's actually stuck pressed - so you can't use any of the steering wheel audio controls (if you use the faceplate controls they override the wheel until the next time you touch anything on the wheel and then they become authoritative). If I hit a bump in the road it activates and turns the volume down all the way as well. It's not physically stuck in there as you can make it jiggle - but the micro switch behind it is stuck.

I am supposed to drop it off tonight. I believe this makes day 27 of various warranty repairs.

Have any of you experienced this?

• 10 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I just had the same problem happen on my 2020 LT Trail Boss, although nothing is quite malfunctioning, but the volume up button now takes about 5% of the pressure to push the button compared to the volume down. If my fingers brush over it while I'm driving the volume goes up. I now find myself having to lower the volume after every corner in the road. I'll be taking this into the dealership to get it fixed. 

• 1 month later...

My 2019 just did the exact same thing. Volume up button quit clicking but still worked at first..... now nothing and I have lost all steering wheel control except cruise control. Another trip to the dealership, hopefully a quick / easy fix.

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
On 10/18/2021 at 4:40 PM, Ipaleman said:

I had this happen to the Wife's 2019 Blazer, required switch replacement, P/N 13540148, was replaced by the dealer, but took forever to get done due to technician availability.

Hope this helps.

Did warranty cover it?

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This just happened to my 2019. I was looking at videos of people taking apart their steering wheel but nothing that shows this repair specifically. I always fix everything myself but I may have to take this in to the dealer and my truck is no longer under warranty.

Chirping/ front drivers side in 2WD still there….

Buzzing sound when changing gears in cold weather still there….

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

same problem today.  I took the switch out and looks like part number is 13528615

this is off of a 2020 GMC sierra AT4 with all the goodies, tech pkg etc... 

the bottom of the steering column has a single 7mm bolt coming up from the bottom, and two facing the driver, you have to turn the wheel to expose the side bolts and remove bottom of steering wheel column, with a few locking tabs.

Remove two little panels, one on each side of the front part of steering wheel away from driver.  This exposes 2 bolts torx T-20 on each side (total 4) that go through the actual switch housing, remove those.

Remove 4 torx T-15 bolts from the steering wheel front cover(away from driver).

this should allow the steering wheel cover to move enough to get the switch out.  you have to disconnect the wire connector first, that's the hardest part, tiny little connector, the clear part slides out, away from switch, then push down on top of connecter while pulling apart.

PXL_20230205_213940544.thumb.jpg.6283cc2c9594d2f3d22e725d8e4d444e.jpgPXL_20230205_213640261.thumb.jpg.5dc183e56083ef68fcad0b1a5aef6f21.jpgPXL_20230205_213925170.thumb.jpg.1e6974519e045a051cbf40f65cb6b37a.jpg

Edited by MG386
disassembly instructions

• 3 months later...