Should have got a 6.2, sell or supercharge.

31 minutes ago, lew-e said:

I bet y’all are a fun bunch to hang around with

That's what my friends tell me

29 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

That's right.

Talk is cheap. Not many guys have the balls to lay down the coin for a supercharger and I say the OP is no different.

Great minds think alike :thumbs:

You guys are probably right. The truck i have is loaded and i got a decent deal on it, so its highly unlikely ill sell it. And the cost of a supercharger is high and i have reservations because i do tow a 5000 lb snowmobile trailer(loaded) over some pretty decent hills. What i will probably do is some long tube headers and find a quiet 3.5" exhaust or if i can find it a stock 6.2 exhaust. And i need to dive into learning to tune new genV

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I’ve decided that I’m going to eventually just tune my truck and most likely bypass big power add ons like a supercharger. I’m hoping with a tune and some bolt ons, I can nudge it in the right direction. The more I’ve thought about it, the harder time I have justifying big money ad ons, but that’s just me. Most I’ve talked to state you can get prett decent results with a good tune and some bolt ons. Let us know what you end up doing. I’m always looking for feedback from others in their results. 

@ullose272 I am all too familiar with the situation.  Had a 05 LLY Duramax Ext. Cab 4x4 with a PPE tune and it would move and then some.  Stupidly sold it and replaced it with a 09 Crew Cab Z-71 5.3 and even with Hypertech programming it was a dog.  Regretted that move until the day I sold the 5.3.  I swore I would never buy another 5.3 only a Duramax or 6.2 gasser. (Lesson Learned) Saved for a year and a half and bought another 2011 Duramax Ext. Cab 4x4 which was great. My needs changed and I didn't tow as much so I traded for a 2014 6.2 All Terrain.  The only regret I had was having bought a black truck which I traded for the current 2015 6.2 White Diamond All Terrain.

Has all the power I need and gets decent fuel mileage.  Using premium gas doesn't bother me because either way I would be spending the same/more for diesel.  

If circumstances permit try to unload your truck and buy what you want.  Otherwise put a tune, exhaust, headers, cam, or supercharger/turbocharger on what you have and enjoy.

Edited by Lgetz
  • Like 1

E85,CAI, exhaust, and good tune (HPT) and you will have same power number as a 6.2 and beat every 6.2 non tuned truck you meet.
Good tune is key. Factory throttle table is blocked so you.floor it and the computer plays police officer saying no you get 30% then I will.slowly let you get.more but not all of it.
Turbo is my choice for best bank for buck. Driveability is awesome, gas mileage increased, cost is low considering. And you can dial boost anywhere you like.
I know people with say it is big money and yes but look at a high end exhaust system is over $2000. CAI few hundred. Tune few hundred you are close to a turbo kit. If you go supercharger the base price is thousands over turbo and still no exhaust so 8-10k that is two times the turbo and less power.
But you can pick up 40+- who on those 3 modes. But it will feel like 2 times the truck.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

E85,CAI, exhaust, and good tune (HPT) and you will have same power number as a 6.2 and beat every 6.2 non tuned truck you meet.
Good tune is key. Factory throttle table is blocked so you.floor it and the computer plays police officer saying no you get 30% then I will.slowly let you get.more but not all of it.
Turbo is my choice for best bank for buck. Driveability is awesome, gas mileage increased, cost is low considering. And you can dial boost anywhere you like.
I know people with say it is big money and yes but look at a high end exhaust system is over $2000. CAI few hundred. Tune few hundred you are close to a turbo kit. If you go supercharger the base price is thousands over turbo and still no exhaust so 8-10k that is two times the turbo and less power.
But you can pick up 40+- who on those 3 modes. But it will feel like 2 times the truck.

How is your ability to tow with the turbo? Ive always heard it will build too much heat.

No no no. The turbo loves heat in the exhaust. And it is the supercharger that sees huge coolant heat and inlet air temp. The turbo is load based so you say out of boost it is normal truck cruise normal all is good

No no no. The turbo loves heat in the exhaust. And it is the supercharger that sees huge coolant heat and inlet air temp. The turbo is load based so you say out of boost it is normal truck cruise normal all is good

Id imagine pulling say 5000lbs your always going to be in the boost?

At $2,000 it is literally the cheapest HP gain available for the LT engines. Unless you have daily access to E85, you can not get the 5.3L to 420bhp without exceeding the $2,000 6.2L charge, maybe if you go cheap and put on Pace Setters instead of ARH or Kooks. The dealer talked me out of the 6.2L in 2010 when I bought my Sierra, no way were they doing that to me in 2015, and quite frankly, never again as long as the 6.2L is available. Why modify a 5.3L to make the same power and void your warranty? If you want that 70hp jump, it is by far the best option as you retain all your warranty. Something you will want with these engines collapsing lifters like they are made of tin foil.  

On 6/25/2019 at 6:48 AM, Denali34 said:

Where are the pics of your truck? Ive never seen them??

Knife in the ribs getting a little twist... I would be stoked if both you guys posted links to your build threads. Always cool to see what others are brave enough to build when money isn't the first factor. 

• Like 1

At $2,000 it is literally the cheapest HP gain available for the LT engines. Unless you have daily access to E85, you can not get the 5.3L to 420bhp without exceeding the $2,000 6.2L charge, maybe if you go cheap and put on Pace Setters instead of ARH or Kooks. The dealer talked me out of the 6.2L in 2010 when I bought my Sierra, no way were they doing that to me in 2015, and quite frankly, never again as long as the 6.2L is available. Why modify a 5.3L to make the same power and void your warranty? If you want that 70hp jump, it is by far the best option as you retain all your warranty. Something you will want with these engines collapsing lifters like they are made of tin foil.  

That’s easy. My 14 Texas Edition package was 27K down from 40K. Didn’t offer the 6.2. The nearest 6.2 option vehicle was 15K more with the discounts. That was a left over Denali. They had 13 of them. I didn’t want leather, Bose, moon roof, of any other (few) options between the two. While sitting in the dealership, with my trusty phone. I calculated what it would take to get to 6.2 horsepower with the savings. I already had the e-85 option. That left the tune. I already had the 342 gear. I’m there. One benefit no one mentions. On trips I could use reg gas, didn’t need premium gas. That being said if the 6.2 was offered in that model, yup I’d bought it. I’m not going to be forced to buy options I don’t want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

That’s easy. My 14 Texas Edition package was 27K down from 40K. Didn’t offer the 6.2. The nearest 6.2 option vehicle was 15K more with the discounts. That was a left over Denali. They had 13 of them. I didn’t want leather, Bose, moon roof, of any other (few) options between the two. While sitting in the dealership, with my trusty phone. I calculated what it would take to get to 6.2 horsepower with the savings. I already had the e-85 option. That left the tune. I already had the 342 gear. I’m there. One benefit no one mentions. On trips I could use reg gas, didn’t need premium gas. That being said if the 6.2 was offered in that model, yup I’d bought it. I’m not going to be forced to buy options I don’t want.

Granted, I was speaking for people who were already in the market for an LTZ/SLT, because otherwise the 6.2L is not an option for you. Sounds like this debacle may change for MY2020 and the premium engines will be available in basic trim lines. They may be order only, or rare to find on the lots, but it would be cool to spec a WT with a 6.2L 

Of course we could far exceed the 6.2L power numbers if we had $20,000 left over to spend from selecting the lesser truck of the hop. But your not getting a 5.3L to 420bhp without an E85 pump in your town and exceeding $2,000 spent. Apples to apples, it cant be done. I will do a pull with any tuned 5.3L with a 3.42 without much worry. The only difference is when mine blows up, the dealer fixes it, if the tuned 5.3L blows up, your out $12,000CAD. 

Granted, I was speaking for people who were already in the market for an LTZ/SLT, because otherwise the 6.2L is not an option for you. Sounds like this debacle may change for MY2020 and the premium engines will be available in basic trim lines. They may be order only, or rare to find on the lots, but it would be cool to spec a WT with a 6.2L 

Of course we could far exceed the 6.2L power numbers if we had $20,000 left over to spend from selecting the lesser truck of the hop. But your not getting a 5.3L to 420bhp without an E85 pump in your town and exceeding $2,000 spent. Apples to apples, it cant be done. I will do a pull with any tuned 5.3L with a 3.42 without much worry. The only difference is when mine blows up, the dealer fixes it, if the tuned 5.3L blows up, your out $12,000CAD. 

That’s covered with the savings going in, if they didn’t cover it. Of course there’s salvage yards. I’ve asked repeatedly over the years if anyone has been denied due to a tune on gas vehicles. Crickets.

• Like 1

Id imagine pulling say 5000lbs your always going to be in the boost?

No once to upshift and have the lower rpms and lower throttle there is less engine load and less are in the engine that equals less exhaust and nothing for the turbo to spin.
2 people that have driven my truck say how little throttle it take to move it 20% is moving. On expressway I am in 6 gear and zero boost and 20mpg in a crew cab with sound system 2 batteries and 24" wheels. IMO that is very respectable for 600rwhp and every option Denali truck. Girlfriend took it to store and never even got into the boost. Still said it has really power. I said well true 300+before boost.
Only issue there can be and turbo are worse then superchargers is of the line pulling with heavy load. Lot of stress and if the drive o
Gives to much throttle the tires can spin. Supercharger are more linear in the boost so they are better also more lower torque. This is why the lifted larger tire truck like the superchargers.

• Like 1