Should have got a 6.2, sell or supercharge.

I kinda regret not looking more for a 6.2 when i got my truck a few months ago. I really like everything about my 14 silverado except the lack of power from the 5.3. It only has 55k miles on it so it should last me a good long time. But i know im not really happy with the power. Debating if i should sell it and get a 6.2, or just supercharge it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

If I was unhappy with the power of my 14-E-85-345 geared Texas Edition GMC, I would have geared it. I’ve done both or one. I wasn’t unhappy with the power. I wasn’t going to put a blower on an cylinder deactivation engine if I was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If I was unhappy with the power of my 14-E-85-345 geared Texas Edition GMC, I would have geared it. I’ve done both or one. I wasn’t unhappy with the power. I wasn’t going to put a blower on an cylinder deactivation engine if I was.

I have allready removed the AFM with my hp tuners, gearing would be cheaper, and help with the 33s on it. The power loss coming from a warmed over DMAX has been hard to swallow.

Don’t know where you live or if your 014 is flex fuel but assuming you live somewhere where E85 is present and your E85 compatible I’d look into doing a tune and running E85. When I bought my 015 new off the lot I was rather disappointed after driving it around awhile with how it felt and how it never seemed to put the power it was supposed to pave to the ground.

From the research I did at that time I decided that IMO on these trucks the torque management is to blame for a large percentage of this. It’s kinda pathetic that my 01 2500HD runs harder than this truck did stock...

Was going to wait till I was at least out of the 3/36 warranty but ended up doing a Blackbear 91 tune at 3k. Now it runs like I at least expected it to from the get go on 91 and filling with E85 adds a nice little 40ish hp boost to performance in the summer time. 

If your not E85 compatible there are several companies that offer the kit to convert and several threads on here about doing it. Obviously if E85 ain’t available in your area it ain’t worth bothering.

If you like the truck other than the motor and it seems like a “good” one I’d definitely boost the one you already have as opposed to swapping into a possible “lemon”.

otherthings to consider

What rear gear does yours currently have? There’s a world of difference between a 3.08 and 3.43 IMO and something to consider if going boosted.

If your going to spend the money on a charger IMO might as well consider a AFM delete cam kit at the same time.

If you want to supercharge something, buy a 72 Chevelle, put a nice rotating assembly in it with some dished pistons and go to town.  My advice is let the factory build your daily driver and mess with something else in your free time.  The first time your ride won't start and you need to get somewhere important in a hurry, you'll wish you hadn't messed with it.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have allready removed the AFM with my hp tuners, gearing would be cheaper, and help with the 33s on it. The power loss coming from a warmed over DMAX has been hard to swallow.

My 14 was my 3rd fastest out of 5. With Hypertec, E-85, 342 on 20s I was happy with the power. It was tuned to shift at 5900 with 50 percent TM. I still got low 20s fuel mileage with cylinder deactivation off. If my truck got better mileage with it on, I would’ve kept it on.

I often experience buyer's remorse and think, " If I knew then what I know now...."       Enjoy your truck and save your money.  This probably won't be your last truck!  Write a list of everything you can/will do with a larger motor that can't be done with your 5.3.  I have the 4.3 and if I made a list of how my needs would be better met with a larger engine, the sheet would be blank.  I can exceed all posted speed limits and make my passengers uncomfortable if a want to drive aggressively.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ullose272 said:

Well there you have it. With hptuner there should be no issues. Tune it and then decide on you budget headers and exhaust intake and a tune is good power or e85+ is even more power. Budget allows a turbo can bolt on another 200rwhp. 

I have over 600rwhp and I'm happy. Stock 5.3l l83 record is over 800whp. So just pick what you.think will make you happy. 

• Like 2

Well there you have it. With hptuner there should be no issues. Tune it and then decide on you budget headers and exhaust intake and a tune is good power or e85+ is even more power. Budget allows a turbo can bolt on another 200rwhp. 
I have over 600rwhp and I'm happy. Stock 5.3l l83 record is over 800whp. So just pick what you.think will make you happy. 
Ya, i need to look more into tuning on this, its very different than the LQ4 and dmax i tuned before. The driver demand stuff i havent figured out

• Like 1

Yeah it is completely different. Torque based running in the ve tables then go to trans and tune there. Also they like to run a little leaner witht he direct injection.
Greg Banish just released the newest gen tunning DVD. Good stuff. Also with the hpt register you device then go to the repository and find a stock retune download and compair. In forum you can ask for help or read up on how to.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Throttle response is terrible on the k2 5.3. Definitely see why the OP would want some more power.

I've driven a 19 5.3 and the throttle response is night and day better even though power output is unchanged.

I've driven Chevy 1500s my whole driving life. The 5.3 L83 is a pretty strong engine for the platform. It's not going to be like a Duramax. It isn't supposed to be! [emoji849] The 6.2 is gonna be a letdown as well, it isn't a Duramax either.

Did you try one of the 2500s before buying?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

I've driven Chevy 1500s my whole driving life. The 5.3 L83 is a pretty strong engine for the platform. It's not going to be like a Duramax. It isn't supposed to be! [emoji849] The 6.2 is gonna be a letdown as well, it isn't a Duramax either.

Did you try one of the 2500s before buying?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

I know its not going to be a dmax, but our other vehicle is a 6.2 denali and it is far stronger than my 5.3. i wanted a 1500 for a better ride and less maintenance costs