Sunglass Holder

Picked up my 19 RST Z71 yesterday and I'm liking most of the changes/upgrades from my 16 z71 LT... but man was my mind blown when I reached up to put my glasses away. Like what in the heck made them remove such a simple, but convenient feature that's been around since the 90's? Am I missing something here?

My wife and I frequently switch between sunglasses and regular glasses.  We each have a good case that fits in all the other storage options available in the cab.  I suspect that the built in sunglass holder had too limited use to make it worthwhile.  Maybe bigger would have made it better.  I personally would not miss this feature but I would recommend writing a note to GM letting them know that you miss the convenience of a dedicated sunglass holder.  Such action may seem insignificant but public opinion matters.

Welcome to the new GM.  Vehicle prices going higher and higher.  Vehicle content going lower and lower, and what is there is as cheap as possible.  All to save $, to keep Mary Barra & Co's salaries too high.  

Sunglasses are all different sizes kind of hard to design a space to fit them all. I will post a pic of a solution I had in my 2010 that didn’t have a specific holder. In my 2019 my Oakley’s go where the wireless charging is. Fit perfect

Ryan B.

1 hour ago, 2016 Sierra Owner said:

There are tons of posts like this in the 14-19 forum. So I guess GM bean counters took note and instead of making it bigger just eliminated it all together.

I will admit that my pair of UA were a tight fit, although my raybans fit perfect, but at least it was an option. If I had some huge aviators I wouldn't complain because that would be unrealistic.

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

My wife and I frequently switch between sunglasses and regular glasses.  We each have a good case that fits in all the other storage options available in the cab.  I suspect that the built in sunglass holder had too limited use to make it worthwhile.  Maybe bigger would have made it better.  I personally would not miss this feature but I would recommend writing a note to GM letting them know that you miss the convenience of a dedicated sunglass holder.  Such action may seem insignificant but public opinion matters.

oh its definitely going to be on the survey

53 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Welcome to the new GM.  Vehicle prices going higher and higher.  Vehicle content going lower and lower, and what is there is as cheap as possible.  All to save $, to keep Mary Barra & Co's salaries too high.  

yeah the other shock was that my free gm app with remote start, lock and unlock now costs money... oh and the truck cost more...

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Sunglasses are all different sizes kind of hard to design a space to fit them all. I will post a pic of a solution I had in my 2010 that didn’t have a specific holder. In my 2019 my Oakley’s go where the wireless charging is. Fit perfect

Ryan B.

i'm a neat and tidy person. I currently have them on the dash cubby, but i keep my truck clean and I dont like things out in the open. and putting them in the center console isn't a good option either as they're too prone to being scratched by other stuff in there.

13 minutes ago, Belo said:

yeah the other shock was that my free gm app with remote start, lock and unlock now costs money... oh and the truck cost more...

Just noticed this the other day.  Lame

2 hours ago, CRT515 said:

I wish I could use my sunglass holder, but my shades won’t fit. 

Mine don't fit either and they aren't even enormous shades.

This Silverado is the first vehicle that I've ever been in (above and beyond "owned") that couldn't hold a fairly normal sized pair of shades in the sunglass compartment.

1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

I have found that features that once were considered options have increasingly been added to the standard features list.  A base truck today would be a considered a  fully loaded truck a few decades ago ;-)   Audio, Power Steering, Power brakes,  Automatic Transmissions, Air Conditioning, Cloth seating, etc. were all once costly options.   Popular demand, or lack of,  often dictates changes.  It once was common to see auto manufacturers brag about the number of ashtrays found in their vehicles!  I am not discounting that there is a demand for eyeglass holders, ashtrays or lighted vanity mirrors but I personally wouldn't give their absence a second thought.  I suspect that a high importance placed on sunglass holders was not shared by enough people to warrant their inclusion in the new model.  I doubt it is a case of GM being cheap.  If it helped to significantly increase sales, it would be included.