black truck owners, what do y’all use to keep up with black paint??

how y’all doing? having a black truck is like a second job... what do y’all use to keep up with the maintenance of a black truck?? what soap, wax, etc.

me i use 2 bucket method with a foam cannon that connect to water hose (going to upgrade to power washer soon) and been using nothing but chemical guys. curious on what other people use to wash

CF4F1BC1-5EDE-4C29-86D0-0F11BC31BB16.jpeg

• Like 2

I don’t.  I’ve owned black cars and now a black truck.  They look great when they’re clean, but that’s only for a short time after cleaning them.  As you said, it becomes a second job.  When I was thirty, I had a Grand National.  I was willing to put a bit more energy into that vehicle.  Now, in my late 50’s, and retired, there’s no way I’m keeping my truck that clean.

However, I did buy a power washer and a foam cannon.  It’s as good as taking it to the coin op wash without leaving home to do it.  Therefore, I do spray it down often.  Hand wash?  Did that once, a month or so ago.  Won’t be doing that again.  I just take it to the automatic wash.  I know, sacrilege, but for less than $10, I don’t have to spend an afternoon to get my truck to look presentable.

I do spend I bit more time on the inside keeping that clean because that’s where I’m at and I respect myself and my truck enough to always have the interior up to snuff.  Micro fiber cloth and a mild soap (Dr. Bronners Castile Soap) and it’s good to go.  I also keep the windows pretty clean.  First with a wet rag and finish with Windex and a clean micro fiber cloth.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Nasty said:

Black is the same as any other color.  Washing and drying incorrectly can harm the paint

Yes and no. It scratches like any other color that's about all they have in common. Everything shows on black . Hardly anything shows on white or silver.

I hand wash with two buckets. And lots of microfiber wash mitts. I use Meguires Hyper Wash . Blow dry with leaf blower then hit it with some detail spray wipe down with lots of clean microfiber towels .

I may use ten mitts and twenty towels. Nothing worse than a dirty mitt or towel on black paint. That's where most of your swirls come from. I ceramic coated mine and it makes a huge difference. Not a swirl or mark to be found after 4 months

I've said this before, Black is not a color it's an occupation. It takes a lot of time to keep your black truck looking like mine.  Lots of time.

IMG_20190312_115330.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GN2018 said:

I don’t.  I’ve owned black cars and now a black truck.  They look great when they’re clean, but that’s only for a short time after cleaning them.  As you said, it becomes a second job.  When I was thirty, I had a Grand National.  I was willing to put a bit more energy into that vehicle.  Now, in my late 50’s, and retired, there’s no way I’m keeping my truck that clean.

However, I did buy a power washer and a foam cannon.  It’s as good as taking it to the coin op wash without leaving home to do it.  Therefore, I do spray it down often.  Hand wash?  Did that once, a month or so ago.  Won’t be doing that again.  I just take it to the automatic wash.  I know, sacrilege, but for less than $10, I don’t have to spend an afternoon to get my truck to look presentable.

I do spend I bit more time on the inside keeping that clean because that’s where I’m at and I respect myself and my truck enough to always have the interior up to snuff.  Micro fiber cloth and a mild soap (Dr. Bronners Castile Soap) and it’s good to go.  I also keep the windows pretty clean.  First with a wet rag and finish with Windex and a clean micro fiber cloth.

yes sadly it’s such a hard color to take care of but when nice and clean the best looking color there is. my dream car loved the grand national, but i feel you man i’m 18 so right now spending a whole day washing my truck is something i wouldn’t mind doing but the only bad thing is every wash there’s a new scratch and it just it kills me... nice info on cleaning interior just might try that out so far just been using this cheap interior cleaner i got from a friend that works at the dealership but might try that you recommend. 

7 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Yes and no. It scratches like any other color that's about all they have in common. Everything shows on black . Hardly anything shows on white or silver.

I hand wash with two buckets. And lots of microfiber wash mitts. I use Meguires Hyper Wash . Blow dry with leaf blower then hit it with some detail spray wipe down with lots of clean microfiber towels .

I may use ten mitts and twenty towels. Nothing worse than a dirty mitt or towel on black paint. That's where most of your swirls come from. I ceramic coated mine and it makes a huge difference. Not a swirl or mark to be found after 4 months

I've said this before, Black is not a color it's an occupation. It takes a lot of time to keep your black truck looking like mine.  Lots of time.

IMG_20190312_115330.jpg

beautiful truck brother love those 22”!!! been needing to get new wash mits and towels, my friend is a detailer and he tells me the key to prevent swirl marks and scratches is new mitts and towels very often. been wanting to buy a blower to dry my truck kinda thing the blower i use to cut my grass seems a little to strong... i use chemical guys drying aid when i dry and not to happy about it wanna go with a spray wax as a drying aid soon. how much did the ceramic coating cost you if you don’t mind me asking? 

4 hours ago, bowtiemark said:

black truck owners, what do y’all use to keep up with black paint??

My kids! 

Yes, it takes a lot of work to keep nice, been using Lucas Slick Mist after washing but now looking at Meguiar's spray on ceramic stuff.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bowtiemark said:

beautiful truck brother love those 22”!!! been needing to get new wash mits and towels, my friend is a detailer and he tells me the key to prevent swirl marks and scratches is new mitts and towels very often. been wanting to buy a blower to dry my truck kinda thing the blower i use to cut my grass seems a little to strong... i use chemical guys drying aid when i dry and not to happy about it wanna go with a spray wax as a drying aid soon. how much did the ceramic coating cost you if you don’t mind me asking? 

Too much according to some guys on here. Some have payed more than me though.

$1600. A lot of paint correction on my truck even though it was new.

But that's the average going rate in my area. Some places were over 2 grand some around a grand. You get what you pay for.

Its a must for a black truck IMO. So far I have no regrets getting it done.

I just let Mother Nature take care of it. Lol. Of course not much in the way of rain in Southern AZ. I maybe have washed it 4-5 times since owning it.....early 2016. Go ahead and bash all you want.

Sent via my cellular device utilizing a chat forum thingy!

My baby is red not black but red is just behind black in terms of showing dirt.  I put way too much time into keeping mine clean as I figure the main reason for getting red or black is because it looks so good when it is clean.  If I didn't care what it looked like I would have gotten the silver, white or other color that doesn't show dirt so much.

For me, with the kids out of the house, my truck is more a hobby and washing it gives me something to do with it.  I wash my truck at least once a week assuming it has gotten dirty, which in central Florida is a given especially during the rainy season which typically runs from January and December.  I use primarily Adams polishes products.  I don't do 2 bucket wash unless she is really dirty.  I don't do any off-roading so she is typically never really that dirty.  I use the Adams drying chemicals like H2O Guard and Gloss or Spray Wax which are life savers in terms of avoiding water spots which are the bane of a car washers experience.  If not using those I use drying towels to dry her and then use a small blower to get the water in the joints, mirrors, wheels and grill.  I heard from many that leaf blowers are bad to use.  I tired it once and the biggest pain was that it was very clunky blowing off the roof, hood and bed cover and damn loud.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TX LIMO said:

I just let Mother Nature take care of it. Lol. Of course not much in the way of rain in Southern AZ. I maybe have washed it 4-5 times since owning it.....early 2016. Go ahead and bash all you want.

Come to the northern states and you won't have much choice, road salt is brutal.

• Like 1

Come to the northern states and you won't have much choice, road salt is brutal.

Oh yeah. I bought it in VA and that’s where it’s been washed the most from the winter. Been in AZ since 2017 so thankfully no salt to worry about. I was actually gonna go get it washed but looks like a monsoon is coming in. That equates to free car wash. Lol