In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
dwchapmanjr

Brake Pedal Vibration - Higher Speed Braking

2015 GMC Yukon Denali - 32k miles (6.2L + 8spd).  I don't normally do highway speed but noticed yesterday that I had a slight pedal vibration when doing so and it only seems to happen at 60+ mph.  My daily drive is under 40mph and no vibrations there.  I'm assuming its likely a rear rotor since I don't feel it in the steering wheel.

I looked back on my records and it appears front brakes were at 7mm a year ago and rear at 4mm.  Both in the "green" according to dealer.  I'm not sure if its an eyeball check and they just mark good or if they actually measure but it was 10k miles ago and a year so I likely need new pads.

20180209-Yukon-Brake.thumb.png.48c11e69cd96befde081b6cc926d45c9.png

All this to say, with this life and mileage is anyone seeing pad life and possibly rotor life exhausted so quickly?  This is a heavy vehicle and the 6.2L gets it up to speed quickly and it does seem to take a lot more to stop it(always this way so I don't think its the vacuum recall).

If anyone is getting a 4 wheel brake job at the dealer, what has it run you?  Mine is running a special for $139 per axle for pads and $189 per axle for rotors but I'm hoping if it is a warped rotor I only need 1 pair.

Also noticed this on the front passenger rotor.  Is that defined of a groove normal?  To the touch it doesn't feel grooved.

20190702_171749.thumb.jpg.f0782d7ca6cbbbe3708d78f866f53e2a.jpg

Tire inflation is normal.

Just had all four rotors replaced and still experiencing high speed vibrations, so I wouldn't bet on it being a rotor issue.

1 minute ago, thepiombino said:

Just had all four rotors replaced and still experiencing high speed vibrations, so I wouldn't bet on it being a rotor issue.

Just to be clear, the vibration was while braking, correct?

How many miles did you go through before doing this and did you do pads too?  What was the cost?

Just to be clear, the vibration was while braking, correct?

How many miles did you go through before doing this and did you do pads too?  What was the cost?
I have both a braking issue and "the Chevy shake". Bought the car CPO @53k miles, rotors were merely resurfaced at the time. Brought it in for the vibration issues at around 59K, was told the issue was the rotors so they replaced them for free under warranty. Suffice it to say, issue still exists now at about 62K.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, thepiombino said:

I have both a braking issue and "the Chevy shake".

Is there a service bulletin for the Chevy shake issue?  Are you talking about the TCC vibration (light acceleration at 60+ MPH around 1200 RPM) combined sometimes with AFM? - If not, not familiar with the chevy shake.

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2019 at 7:31 AM, dwchapmanjr said:

2015 GMC Yukon Denali - 32k miles (6.2L + 8spd).  I don't normally do highway speed but noticed yesterday that I had a slight pedal vibration when doing so and it only seems to happen at 60+ mph.  My daily drive is under 40mph and no vibrations there.  I'm assuming its likely a rear rotor since I don't feel it in the steering wheel.

I looked back on my records and it appears front brakes were at 7mm a year ago and rear at 4mm.  Both in the "green" according to dealer.  I'm not sure if its an eyeball check and they just mark good or if they actually measure but it was 10k miles ago and a year so I likely need new pads.

All this to say, with this life and mileage is anyone seeing pad life and possibly rotor life exhausted so quickly?  This is a heavy vehicle and the 6.2L gets it up to speed quickly and it does seem to take a lot more to stop it(always this way so I don't think its the vacuum recall).

If anyone is getting a 4 wheel brake job at the dealer, what has it run you?  Mine is running a special for $139 per axle for pads and $189 per axle for rotors but I'm hoping if it is a warped rotor I only need 1 pair.

Also noticed this on the front passenger rotor.  Is that defined of a groove normal?  To the touch it doesn't feel grooved.

Tire inflation is normal.

check for bent rim  or rocks in the tire (see if it balanced )

i had removed about 1/2 pound of pebbles from my tires   still did not fix the vibration 

turn out to be a bent rim

but it did ride a bit smoother after about 2 hours of picking out rocks

Bridgestone tires is a geologist  aka rock collector 

Edited by bg1988

12 minutes ago, bg1988 said:

check for bent rim  or rocks in the tire (see if it balanced )

i had removed about 1/2 pound of pebbles from my tires   still did not fix the vibration 

turn out to be a bent rim

but it did ride a bit smoother after about 2 hours of picking out rocks

Bridgestone tires is a geologist  aka rock collector 

I'll give it a go but wouldn't you expect it to vibrate regardless of braking if it were unbalanced due to bent rim or rocks?  My issue is only while braking at 60+ MPH.  I do know I have some rocks in it but not that much.  Continental tires on my (OE) although they were replaced at 10K due to a recall.

I get mine balanced and rotated every oil change and have seen the balance weights on it.  Another thing I saw to check for is any play the wheel has.