Flowmaster, Borla, Magnaflow or straight pipe? (Video comparison)

On 5/19/2020 at 11:41 AM, snay502 said:

im new here.  I have 2019 Z71 LT 5.3L Crew Cab Short Bed.

Bought a K & N 63 series (KNF-63-3109) air intake - will install this weekend.  Looking for reasonably priced muffler mod or cat back system to go with it.

The flowmaster flow fx 17894 is $550 but its only 2.5 inch OD I think.  Sounds decent tho.

Suggestions?  I'm looking for moderate to aggressive sound and low cruising hum.  

I installed the Borla Atak muffler removed flapper valve completely and covered mesh screens on 2020 LT trail Boss 5.3 absolutely no drone and love the sound finally sounds like a truck

On 6/24/2020 at 2:20 PM, smald081 said:

I installed the Borla Atak muffler removed flapper valve completely and covered mesh screens on 2020 LT trail Boss 5.3 absolutely no drone and love the sound finally sounds like a truck

You installed an ATAK muffler? Where did you find this? Is it one of Borla's crate mufflers? If you have a link, that would be awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so I’ve waited wayyy to long to do any mods to my truck because I almost got rid of it. Now that it looks like I may be keeping it I’m trying to decide to delete or change muffler. I’ve heard/watched plenty of videos but really couldn’t get a good idea on how the delete sounds at highway cruising. I’ve been on my back for quite some time due to surgeries and I now have that itch. Time to treat myself. For the guys with the delete, is it really loud? And does it drone bad? Last, are you still happy with it or is it too much now? Thanks for your input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i have the borla atak on my 2020 lt trailboss 6.2.  i went with the setup that keeps the factory tips. at first i wasnt happy with it ( my 14' f-150 5.0 with the atak sounded better) after i was able to put some miles on it and after several heat cycles it started to sound like it should (better my previous 5.0 truck) and i am pleased with it.  i tried to reach out to borla about the muffler ( the never responded) because the atak and the s type are the same muffler from what i could gather. the only difference is that the s type has a second chamber after the muffler and the atak has a 4 into 1 collector ( cant remember what borla calls it but thats what it looks like). i had the dealer install the exhaust because they dropped the ball on my truck and i had them make it right with the exhaust and the install for free ?

I think the borla atak sounds great on videos that I’ve watched. I just can’t build myself up to pay that much for a muffler. I’m torn, i literally had my finger on the purchase button for the borla pro xs today and then didn’t go through with it. I love the sound of the delete but am afraid it’ll get tiring. And I don’t know if the borla pro xs is loud enough. But I need to treat myself with something. This has been a rough year for me so I decided I deserve some fun stuff. Thanks for the insight. Your making it tough to choose

3 minutes ago, Thejet07 said:

I think the borla atak sounds great on videos that I’ve watched. I just can’t build myself up to pay that much for a muffler. I’m torn, i literally had my finger on the purchase button for the borla pro xs today and then didn’t go through with it. I love the sound of the delete but am afraid it’ll get tiring. And I don’t know if the borla pro xs is loud enough. But I need to treat myself with something. This has been a rough year for me so I decided I deserve some fun stuff. Thanks for the insight. Your making it tough to choose

if you are looking at buying a borla catback and want to save some coin go with the kit that keeps factory tips. i want to say that it is about $400 cheaper. still not the cheapest at $1044 i think, but you are also getting a exhaust made from quality materiel. i was fortunate/ unlucky enough that i had issues with the dealership and truck from day one. i went to them and made sure that they know how unhappy i was with them and the fact that my new truck had issues that started the day i drove it home. so the put bought and installed my exhaust to help make up for it. 

I had lawsuit for my truck because of all the issues. Decided to take cash settlement and keep the truck. Pretty luck you got the dealership to do that. I’m actually looking to just swap the muffler. I dont feel these trucks need an entire exhaust system.

i saw a video where a guy ordered a muffler delete pipe from afe for like $115 and installed it himself. looked like it would be the cheapest route if you like the way it sounded. he cut just before the flapper and then cut as close to the outlet side of the muffler as he could. the delete pipe is pre bent for the offset.  depending on the muffler you might have to get it welded or spend extra on clamp adapters  

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/27/2020 at 9:13 PM, Thejet07 said:

I just saw that video today. Was the exact reason why I didn’t purchase the borla pro xs. It made me have second thoughts. Weird

Lol I just watched the same vid. I didn't know something like what AFE offers here existed until I saw this vid. 

Yup, soon as my truck comes I’m cutting the BBQ Grill off and installing that AFE delete pipe.  Much rather spend $120 bucks on the exhaust seeing as Borla doesn’t make a kit for the crew cab standard bed yet and it will cost me well over $1200 for the Atak kit. 

Is there any reason to go for the borla atak catback instead of just using the atak crate muffler if getting the sound is the only thing you care about? It doesn't seem to me that the performance gains are enough to justify the expense of the catback, but I might be missing something.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Mikedfw said:

Is there any reason to go for the borla atak catback instead of just using the atak crate muffler if getting the sound is the only thing you care about? It doesn't seem to me that the performance gains are enough to justify the expense of the catback, but I might be missing something.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I’d like to know this too