Flowmaster, Borla, Magnaflow or straight pipe? (Video comparison)

The mesh screens hold a TON of sound back, I had a Carven TR muffler swapped in and it made next to no difference.  I blocked the screens off and it helped quite a bit but still tame.  If you want any actual sound out of these you need a "race" muffler.  The only cat-back that has any snap is the Borla ATAK and they won't make one for the 19/20 5.3's because they couldn't get the sound they wanted. 

I ordered the Flowmaster American thunder series cat-back with the quad black tips for $1000 (Borla is better quality but $2000 is outrageous), I'll be swapping out the super 40 for the 10 series!  

3 hours ago, 19AT4 said:

The mesh screens hold a TON of sound back, I had a Carven TR muffler swapped in and it made next to no difference.  I blocked the screens off and it helped quite a bit but still tame.  If you want any actual sound out of these you need a "race" muffler.  The only cat-back that has any snap is the Borla ATAK and they won't make one for the 19/20 5.3's because they couldn't get the sound they wanted. 

I ordered the Flowmaster American thunder series cat-back with the quad black tips for $1000 (Borla is better quality but $2000 is outrageous), I'll be swapping out the super 40 for the 10 series!  

Mine sounds awesome straight piped, but I am gonna experiment with those screens today...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 12/29/2019 at 4:04 PM, SquireSCA said:

I experimented with the screens... Makes it louder, but introduces a droning sound when you are cruising, so uncovered them.  Sounds awesome.  I have yet to hear a catback system that sounds better.

@SquireSCA, Glad to hear you're happy with a straight pipe set up on the 5.3. I think I saw on another post that you're one of the beta testers for the Range DFM disable unit. I know you said that you don't experience any drone with the straight pipe, does that feedback stay consistent without the Range unit? I'd like to run a straight pipe set up on my 5.3, but want to be sure I'm not going to get massive drone when cylinder deactivation kicks in. Any help is appreciated!

8 minutes ago, SquireSCA said:

Yeah, if you leave the screens alone on the dual outlet 5.3L there is no drone with or without the Range box...

Awesome. Thanks for the quick response! Can't wait to do this.

im new here.  I have 2019 Z71 LT 5.3L Crew Cab Short Bed.

Bought a K & N 63 series (KNF-63-3109) air intake - will install this weekend.  Looking for reasonably priced muffler mod or cat back system to go with it.

The flowmaster flow fx 17894 is $550 but its only 2.5 inch OD I think.  Sounds decent tho.

Suggestions?  I'm looking for moderate to aggressive sound and low cruising hum.  

Flowmaster makes a cutout system for at least the single exit.. I just received mine today. I like that you have 2 different options for sound.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/19/2019 at 4:45 PM, Jay555 said:

I straight piped my 2019 sierra at4 6.4l.  It does give it nice sound however the drone is pretty bad on the highway. That being said if you can live with that it's a cheap fix. I will be installing the borla xr 1 muffler. 

Did you delete either of the flappers?

I would be interested in knowing from some of you who have done this, if just putting in a straight pipe, will it give you the HP/TQ of the catback systems. I was talking to GM's technician while getting truck back from dealership, and he said the flappers and OEM muffler are what's holding up the HP/TQ. So I would think by taking them off and putting in a straight pipe, you could gain that HP/TQ from catback systems. 

I'm just finding it very hard to drop anywhere from $1250 to $1600 on exhaust depending on whether its Borla or Corsa.  I loved my Gibson on my last truck but they don't make a catback for my standard sized bed. It was a decent price at $485.

Just not a fan of Flowmaster (father has it on his F150...drones bad) or magnaflow. I had Magnaflow on my 2006 SS Trailblazer and it droned terrible. 

• 2 weeks later...