Jump to content
Brummie99

Looking at a 2015 Sierra 2500HD

Recommended Posts

I've been looking to trade my 1500 Silverado for a while as I have just bought a TT that's maxxing out the 1500.

 

I found a 2015 Sierra 2500HD 4WD SLE Duramax for $37,000. It has 89,000 miles, SLE Convenience package, SLE Preferred Package and navigation so pretty well-specced for an SLE.

 

Looks like a good deal and will rest on what they will offer for my truck.

 

Any gotchas to look out for?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if its direct injection, I wouldn't touch it without a 100k warrantee

look for (2008-2014) model years , simpler and more reliable

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Repost in the HD forum. Like you us gasser guys don’t know nothin about them coal rollerz...

 

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/forum/174-2015-2019-chevy-silverado-gmc-sierra-hd/

 

I can tell you this much at least for me you couldn’t pay me to own a Dirty D if I didn’t absolutely need it and no way I’d want to daily one. Everything cost more period end of story know matter what any diesel fan boy tells you and the “modern” US emissions on the newer ones is one big expensive joke.

 

Nothing wrong with the 6.O as a daily driver/weekend hauler if the tow numbers work. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Brummie99 said:

I've been looking to trade my 1500 Silverado for a while as I have just bought a TT that's maxxing out the 1500.

 

I found a 2015 Sierra 2500HD 4WD SLE Duramax for $37,000. It has 89,000 miles, SLE Convenience package, SLE Preferred Package and navigation so pretty well-specced for an SLE.

 

Looks like a good deal and will rest on what they will offer for my truck.

 

Any gotchas to look out for?

 

From the dealer side of things aka., issues we see (in NY):

 

- DEF heater.  Primarily the reservoir heater in the tank.

- NOX sensors.  Both of them.

- Head gaskets.  Mainly 2011-2013 but those are the same LML engine so I added it to the list.  We did do them on 2 2015's.     

- Coolant leaks.  Mainly the rear engine cover housing.

- Brakes and parking brake.  In NY especially as the winter season just seizes the caliper slides and parking brake and everything gets replaced. 

 

Edited by newdude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a great truck.  Go for it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, newdude said:

 

From the dealer side of things aka., issues we see (in NY):

 

- DEF heater.  Primarily the reservoir heater in the tank.

- NOX sensors.  Both of them.

- Head gaskets.  Mainly 2011-2013 but those are the same LML engine so I added it to the list.  We did do them on 2 2015's.     

- Coolant leaks.  Mainly the rear engine cover housing.

- Brakes and parking brake.  In NY especially as the winter season just seizes the caliper slides and parking brake and everything gets replaced. 

 

Thanks. This is in Florida and history shows it always has been in Florida so I'm guessing your first and last items are moot. I'll certainly check the others as best I can.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You snooze, you lose.

 

Just got a call. It was sold this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that was a good truck and good price.  On the LMLs the biggest issues were the DPF and DEF systems, and the NoX sensors.  I had all three issues on my 2012 but it was still a good truck otherwise.  On my 2008 LMM it had no issues.  Except the door locks :( Best truck i've ever owned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Brummie99 said:

You snooze, you lose.

 

Just got a call. It was sold this morning.

Damn! I hate when decisions are made for me in this way!  I consider the Duramax/Allison equipped pickups the best combination offered by GM but they are also the most expensive to buy and maintain.  I have considered the same when looking at larger trailers and concluded that keeping my trailer purchase limited to my truck's ability to tow was my best option.  I suspect that buying a new diesel may also be a financial challenge for you based on your searching for used.  If I was in your shoes, I'd seriously look at a new, base model, gas 3/4 ton.  It will come with a full warranty, no unknown history, and will be a tough and beautiful DD.  I have rented 3/4 ton pickups when my truck was unavailable and often wish I had an excuse to own one!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You know.. other than the unforseen issues like the DPF and DEF that the LMLs experienced, the Diesel trucks seem to do pretty good with minimal costs.  Sure you have to pay for DEF and the cost of Diesel fuel can usually be $.10-.30 cents more than 87 octane and sometimes it is cheaper.. but for the first 200,000 miles these are pretty dang good solid trucks.  Follow the maintenance schedule in the owners manual and treat the truck with respect (yet work it) and you'll have a good 500,000+ mile reliable truck on the original engine and tranny where as you'll likely have replaced 2 trannies and possibly 1 engine rebuild on a gasser by 500,000 miles. 

Edited by Colossus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Donstar said:

Damn! I hate when decisions are made for me in this way!  I consider the Duramax/Allison equipped pickups the best combination offered by GM but they are also the most expensive to buy and maintain.  I have considered the same when looking at larger trailers and concluded that keeping my trailer purchase limited to my truck's ability to tow was my best option.  I suspect that buying a new diesel may also be a financial challenge for you based on your searching for used.  If I was in your shoes, I'd seriously look at a new, base model, gas 3/4 ton.  It will come with a full warranty, no unknown history, and will be a tough and beautiful DD.  I have rented 3/4 ton pickups when my truck was unavailable and often wish I had an excuse to own one!

Thanks Don.

 

The Duramax option was my preference but they seem to demand an $8-$10,000 premium over the gas. My need was driven by our new trailer which has a dry weight of 8,500lbs. Loaded, I know it was overloading my 1500.

The difference between the gas and diesel versions is only 500lbs for bumper-pull. The big difference is in 5th wheel capacity. As we've just bought a new TT, a 5-er is highly unlikely.

 

So, last night I pulled the trigger on a 2016 Sierra double cab SLT 2500HD gasser priced just under $40k. Has leather, navigation and a few other goodies my 1500 was missing.

 

Hopefully, my last truck for a few years.

19938204563x640.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While definitely a better option over the 1500 that diesel sure would have been sweet.  Im not convinced the 6.0 is any better than the 5.3 as their numbers are damn near identical.  The advantage comes with the 2500 platform overall.  Bigger frame, stiffer suspension, taller gearing, etc.  Should make pulling the TT a munch better experience overall .  Congrats on the new ride

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations!  Beautiful truck!  The brawny look and ride of a  2500 is most appealing, imo, and I'm envious!  Enjoy!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jacoby said:

While definitely a better option over the 1500 that diesel sure would have been sweet.  Im not convinced the 6.0 is any better than the 5.3 as their numbers are damn near identical.  The advantage comes with the 2500 platform overall.  Bigger frame, stiffer suspension, taller gearing, etc.  Should make pulling the TT a munch better experience overall .  Congrats on the new ride

When towing less than 5,000# on my deck trailer I choose my 6.2L. When towing more than that I will use my CCLB 6.0L every-time. Yes the 6.2L would pull it stronger and burn less gas, but it doesn't feel stable or heavy enough, especially when trying to slow down a load that weighs more than the truck. Yes, the 6.0L is quite gutless, and bad on gas but it is a much safer tow rig. A vehicle doesn't "suck at towing" because you have to drop 2 gears and rev out to 3,5000rpm to crest a 18% grade while holding 40mph. Most people think if they cant pull over the top of that grade in overdrive at 1900rpm, their truck sucks at towing hahaha. I encourage those folks to jump in a tractor/trailer pulling a Cat D8 with a 600hp2250tq engine and see if that will pull 50mph over the top. It wont, you will be down to 30mph and drop 4 full gears (8 if you are splitting and 18spd.) 

 

If your half ton can make the weight and you feel safe doing it, they are a much better choice for a daily driver. But choose a 2500 if you are concerned, a little bigger truck on a daily basis is better than being dead in a ditch with a camper on top of your family. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

When towing more than that I will use my CCLB 6.0L every-time. Yes the 6.2L would pull it stronger and burn less gas, but it doesn't feel stable or heavy enough, especially when trying to slow down a load that weighs more than the truck. Yes, the 6.0L is quite gutless, and bad on gas but it is a much safer tow rig.

 

People who don’t own and tow with a 6.O don’t get it and apparently never will. Don’t care what the “numbers” are...

 

I towed my 2500HD with the Vplow on my 20’ car hauler 40 miles home with my 015 5.3L 1/2 tonner when the brake line rusted out 10K+ and let me tell you never again. I’ve towed 10k+ multiple times hundreds of miles with the 2500HD (mind you mine is a 01 dinosaur) without even questioning it. It’s not the horses it’s how the whole package handles it in fact I choose to daily the bone stock 3/4 ton over the fully tuned 1/2 ton most of the time cause it just flat out feels better though the whole power band. Anything you lose in economy with the 6.O you’ll make back 10x in reliability.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.