Soft clearcoat on 2019 trailboss

Have yall noticed that the paint is a lot thicker towards the bottom of the truck?

I can sure see the difference. I think it's part of the Z71 protection package?

Edited by MacLaren
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Wash your truck properly or it will look like your kid washed it in sandpaper in 1 year, I learned this the hard way with my 2010 black truck. GM's paint has been 'poor' to say the least since 2010 introduction of the water-based paints. My 4 year old 2010 needed the box painted and it never travelled on gravel roads, and then after that the cab started to peel so I traded it. I use a 3 bucket method with grit guards (GG's are a must for black paint). Only straight lines with the mitt, use a foam lance to lubricate the paint before touching it with a wet mitt. Watch AMMO NYC's YouTube videos. Just did a quick wash this weekend when I got my pressure washer back from repairs. Never polished, no spider webs in 5 years, because I took the time to learn how to care for these $H!T paintjobs. I had 3 paint chips in my front bumper, but I guy hit me with his boat at the pumps so I got a new painted bumper, now I really stay far back from people but I still see chips in my future. 

IMG_0048.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

Not to hijack the conversation, but what tires and size are those?  Looks real good. 

55 minutes ago, MacLaren said:

Have yall noticed that the paint is a lot thicker towards the bottom of the truck?

No, my HC has it too. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, reardiff said:

Not to hijack the conversation, but what tires and size are those?  Looks real good. 

33x12.5 R20 Pro Comp A/T's. Do not go this wide if you like fuel economy or traction in wet conditions, traction for days when it's dry. Little swaybar and UCA rub, only because of +27mm offset of the factory wheel. A 1/4" spacer would cure it. I would probably go to a 295 section width next time. 

GM and Subaru have notoriously soft paint. A pinecone fell from a tree in my yard and scratched my Outback's paint. Unfortunately, pretty much everyone except the Germans has gone in the soft direction.

Edited by Mandalorian

Why does everyone think that this crap is paint....it ain't. Real automotive painted finishes disappeared with lead formulations sprayed on with a petroleum based solvent. No pi$$y white surface scratches in older finishes because the thick layer of lead based paint dried hard anbd didn't require any protective Jello-hard clearcoat coat either.

What we now have is a microscopically thin layer of non leaded, colored dust electrostatically applied and covered with spayed on water based self leveling Jello-coat.

• Like 1

So, after 600 miles and some interstate driving, - she did phenomenal at 80 mph. Outstanding ride imo. I'm gonna have her detailed and a ceramic coated. Pricey, but guaranteed for 3 years and I just absolutely love the color - NorthSky Blue Metallic. 

Anyone else had theirs ceramic coated?

20 hours ago, MacLaren said:

MaverickZ71

Why the confusion?

Eppieguys truck has it too.

And, like Bringtherain said, it to help protect the paint. It's pretty neat really :)

Edited by MacLaren