Fluids change or leave them be?

What's the general opinion on changing your front and rear diff fluid along with trans and transfer case? I was always told dont touch the transmission unless it looks burnt and dirty. And with my last two trucks I havent changed any fluids other than motor oil and they have seen 300 thousand plus km's trouble free. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Thats the old school belief that if changed/touched, you may dislodge some sludge that can then get into passages and cause issues.

The new way is: You change it early on and periodically to avoid that sludge to begin with. And these newer super tight tolerance trans with all the electronics and what have you... def want to keep it clean.

My 2014 has had the trans fluid service done at 88k under my ownership, not sure if the previous owner got it done. Then at 125k miles the torque converter issue happened and destroyed the trans anyways.

So fluid change is not the main concern for some of us, the crappy TC is. $2700 bill for a complete rebuild, not at dealer. 

There's a section in your owners manual devoted to your specific question.
This is true. Do most follow that guideline? Because for instance 80k is recommended for diff oil change. But I've seen people suggesting 40k instead? Understandably people have their own opinions. Just wondering what everyone's general opinion is.

Following the owners manual is good.  For me getting the diff fluid out early like around 5k you get the wear material out.  Then you can let it go for 100k or more using a good quality synthetic depending on how you use your truck.  If you tow/haul then another change out at 50k is good.

Transmission I do early as well, then change out every 50k using a good quality synthetic.  For as often as you would change out the fluid at every 50k that isn't much of an issue cost wise. 

Doing this if you plan on keeping your truck a long time like it seems you do will help make sure it will last.

1 hour ago, Summit850 said:

What's the general opinion on changing your front and rear diff fluid along with trans and transfer case? I was always told dont touch the transmission unless it looks burnt and dirty. And with my last two trucks I havent changed any fluids other than motor oil and they have seen 300 thousand plus km's trouble free. Thanks.

Change the transfer case fluid ASAP.  Mine was disgusting at 60k, magnetic plug had lots of material on it.  Front diff was ok, but was due for a change.  Rear diff still looked new at 60k, but I still changed it. Replaced all with Amsoil products.

Change the transfer case fluid ASAP.  Mine was disgusting at 60k, magnetic plug had lots of material on it.  Front diff was ok, but was due for a change.  Rear diff still looked new at 60k, but I still changed it. Replaced all with Amsoil products.
I was considering amsoil for this, issue is no one in town sells it. Possibly have to go online to get it shipped to me and it's something I wanted to do this weekend.

7 minutes ago, Summit850 said:

I was considering amsoil for this, issue is no one in town sells it. Possibly have to go online to get it shipped to me and it's something I wanted to do this weekend.

Give me your address in a PM and I can get you a quote on the cost for 2qt squeeze packs of the AMSOIL ATL transmission fluid.  If there is anything else you might want let me know.

Edited by Black02Silverado
  • Like 1

I recommend changing the rear differential as soon as possible. i bought a December 18 built 2018 in march. The rear had a thin gray lubricant in it. I have not seen a hypoid gear oil that looked like it at all. Replaced with 75-90 Mobil1. If you really want to be bullet proof, i have used SHC 535 in my Jeep T90 and D18. Not a consumer lube, but you have to buy it to appreciate it. That oil is rated at like 10,000 hours.

Do this, especially if you plan to tow. Towing increases the temperature in the rear differential to temps like 200 degrees... 

I generally follow the manual for service items, but I did the differential early.

75W-90 Amsoil Severe Gear is the popular one to use. The quantity you need depends on your rear end. The size is marked on the passenger side, top of the side flange.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

Every 30,000 miles.  You never destroyed anything by changing the oil more frequently, though not letting it run enough does inhibit some of the ad packs for engine oil, so every 5000 miles minimum for that is the guideline I follow. 

• Like 1