Brakes pads wearing fast?

From GM:

#PIT5695: Brake Pad Life % Calculates Down too Quickly - (Jun 28, 2019)

Some customers may notice a quick drop in the brake pad life % shown on the DIC, which may not be reflective to the actual pad wear

This concern could be cause by a software anomaly.

At this time, Do NOT perform any repairs. Engineering has identified the cause and is working toward a software solution, which will be released in the near future. When a repair

becomes available, it will be published. 

You can disable the brake pad life via the DIC if you want until GM has the fix. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

There is no magic sensor for this it's just the computer guesstimating based off of usage. 

It's more of a ploy to get you to bring your truck in for service.

AND I FULLY TRUST THEY WOULD NEVER CHANGE MY PADS EVEN IF THEY WERE STILL GOOD. even when the DIC said they were out.

Trust me take the wheel off and give the pads an eyeballing..

Everything they are doing is to get owners and outside shops to stop working on their vehicles.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, BigBadSierra said:

There is no magic sensor for this it's just the computer guesstimating based off of usage. 

It's more of a ploy to get you to bring your truck in for service.

AND I FULLY TRUST THEY WOULD NEVER CHANGE MY PADS EVEN IF THEY WERE STILL GOOD. even when the DIC said they were out.

Trust me take the wheel off and give the pads an eyeballing..

Everything they are doing is to get owners and outside shops to stop working on their vehicles.

The pads do have an electronic wear sensor on T1 pickups.  Not just a computer doing guess work. 

Brake Pad Life Monitoring Description and Operation

Brake Pad Life Monitoring Description and Operation

This vehicle has a system that estimates the remaining life of the front and rear brake pads. When the feature is active, brake pad life is displayed in the Driver Information Center (DIC), along with a percentage and distance for each axle.

When the system has determined that the brake pads need to be replaced, a message will display, which may include mileage remaining.

Customers can use this information to plan their vehicle maintenance. A prognostic indicator of life remaining, especially in distance remaining, enables customers to arrange brake pad replacement at a convenient time.

The system will display a percent pad life on the DIC at all time just like oil life monitoring. When you approach end of pad life, the messaging will change to a distance parameter (i.e. 2000 miles remaining, etc.) and it will start to actively remind the driver to take action at ignition cycle intervals.  

If the feature has malfunctioned, fault messaging will be provided. The customer will be able to disable the feature display if desired, and the display will confirm this.

The Brake System Control Module has one analog input for a front axle brake pad wear sensor and one analog input for a rear axle brake pad wear sensor. The brake system control module supply voltage to the brake pad wear sensor and the sensor is grounded to the vehicle ground. The brake system control module diagnose any issues with the power supply for the sensors and set “ invalid” if there is a failure detected in the supply voltage system.

After replacing the brake pads, the Axle Brake Pad Life Monitor Reset Learn must be performed.

The brake pad life system can be turned off. This may be necessary if aftermarket brake pads without wear sensors are installed. When the system is turned off, the front and rear brake pad life percentages will not display.

This should be pinned to the top of the homepage for these forums:

1)  Your GM Owner's Manual is your friend.

2)  A GM Service Manual for your vehicle can be your best friend--you should buy one.  They are expensive, but worth it.  No, you can't borrow ours for free.  

3)  The Search engine on this forum is your friend.

4)  If your vehicle is still under warranty, believe it or not, the dealer can be your friend.

5)  If you've looked into Numbers 1-4 on this list and still need help, we're here for you.  But if you're the 15th+ person to post the same question, you'll have to excuse us.  Good luck and have a nice day.  

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 3

• 10 months later...

I know there is a premature brake pad sensor problem but my brakes and roters are going out every 3 to 4 thousand miles. I contacted GM but they wont cover it because brake pads are considered normal wear and tear. I understand that but my brakes have gone out 3 times this year. Has anyone else had this problem? if so, please make a claim through GM so we can be reimbursed for the cost. Thanks!

I know there is a premature brake pad sensor problem but my brakes and roters are going out every 3 to 4 thousand miles. I contacted GM but they wont cover it because brake pads are considered normal wear and tear. I understand that but my brakes have gone out 3 times this year. Has anyone else had this problem? if so, please make a claim through GM so we can be reimbursed for the cost. Thanks!
Your brake pads are actually worn? You looked at them? I just had my wheels off at 3200 miles and there is a ton of bad left

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

DIC isn't very accurate, I had same issue and MPG isnt accurate either......idk what the point of displaying all this info if it isn't even correct

• Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 3:41 PM, ullose272 said:

Your brake pads are actually worn? You looked at them? I just had my wheels off at 3200 miles and there is a ton of bad left

Yes. The dealership has changed them 3 times in one year. I contacted GM to get something done about it and they refuse to help. The first time they had to change all brake pads and some of the rotors. It cost me 1200$ with 12000miles on truck. I was 4000 miles out of warranty. Then they went out at 15000miles and now 19000 miles.

Yes. The dealership has changed them 3 times in one year. I contacted GM to get something done about it and they refuse to help. The first time they had to change all brake pads and some of the rotors. It cost me 1200$ with 12000miles on truck. I was 4000 miles out of warranty. Then they went out at 15000miles and now 19000 miles.

Damn! Are you towing all the time or something? Thats crazy

On 7/25/2019 at 9:11 AM, MaverickZ71 said:

This should be pinned to the top of the homepage for these forums:

1)  Your GM Owner's Manual is your friend.

2)  A GM Service Manual for your vehicle can be your best friend--you should buy one.  They are expensive, but worth it.  No, you can't borrow ours for free.  

3)  The Search engine on this forum is your friend.

4)  If your vehicle is still under warranty, believe it or not, the dealer can be your friend.

5)  If you've looked into Numbers 1-4 on this list and still need help, we're here for you.  But if you're the 15th+ person to post the same question, you'll have to excuse us.  Good luck and have a nice day.  

where can you get that service manual?....be interested in picking one up

Edited by Dunn