Realistic pricing at the dealership??

This is the first vehicle that has actually been personally ordered ahead of time from the factory. 

Dealer has indicated that he's going to want "invoice plus a small percent over" for the 2020 Sierra DenaliHD on order. 

Is that reasonable/typical or should something else be negotiated? The dealer making a fair profit is fine...just don't want to overpay or leave money on the table on this end. 

Just looking for some guidance on what to expect. Any insights will be appreciated. PM if you'd feel more comfortable about sharing such information privately.

Thanks!

I would walk away!  Years ago, I wrote a letter to GM asking why they penalized their most loyal customers this way.  When a new model year is released, who is most excited to order and take delivery of the new model?  Usually, it's the manufacturer's most loyal customers!

• Like 2

Yeah if you wait 8 or 10 months they will be had for like 15k off... or 20k like how I buy mine. There are no incentives on new release so you will pay whatever that invoice territory is,  which is too much.  Price you have to pay if you need to be one of the first.

Edited by SierraHD17

Never pay more than MSRP.

This 'a little above invoice' is the same thing as someone that buys a new XBOX on the day of release then sells it on eBay for $100.00 more than the store price. They are taking advantage of the fact that the truck is in demand. If they are willing to do this, you will probably find that they are doing other shady things as well. FIND ANOTHER DEALERSHIP.

4 hours ago, ApertureX said:

Never pay more than MSRP.

This 'a little above invoice' is the same thing as someone that buys a new XBOX on the day of release then sells it on eBay for $100.00 more than the store price. They are taking advantage of the fact that the truck is in demand. If they are willing to do this, you will probably find that they are doing other shady things as well. FIND ANOTHER DEALERSHIP.

invoice is typically around 10% below sticker price.  I think invoice pricing on a brand new body style truck is probably about as good as you will get.  

59 minutes ago, texasnavy05 said:

invoice is typically around 10% below sticker price.  I think invoice pricing on a brand new body style truck is probably about as good as you will get.  

Gotcha. I  thought you were talking about something like this crap on the Jim Ellis website: 

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 3.20.07 PM.jpg

Yes you are reading that right. Sale price is almost $900.00 above MSRP.

Edited by ApertureX

On 8/5/2019 at 2:22 PM, ApertureX said:

Gotcha. I  thought you were talking about something like this crap on the Jim Ellis website: 

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 3.20.07 PM.jpg

Yes you are reading that right. Sale price is almost $900.00 above MSRP.

yeah, that's just ridiculous.  probably for helium in the tires, and ceramic window tint!

On 8/7/2019 at 11:04 AM, texasnavy05 said:

yeah, that's just ridiculous.  probably for helium in the tires, and ceramic window tint!

I actually found out when I went to test drive a Denali 2500HD that they had in stock:

• Ceramic Tint (probably low quality and only on the front door windows
  • Nitrogen for Life (never pay for this... ever)
  • Wheel Locks (you can get them cheaper other places, but maybe by $15-20 less for good ones)
  • All State protection package ($495 optional warranty coverage... Nope, nope, and nope.)
  • All weather floor liners (so they are up-charging you because they didn't order this as a factory option and now you get to store the carpet liners in your garage?)

There is no 3/4 ton worth near that much.  That is half the price of a full blown class 8 decked out semi truck tractor with a 15L engine, 18 speed trans, dual drive axles with full lockers and a sliding fifth wheel and a refrigerator in the sleeper.

Everyone needs to learn a little patience, sit on their hands, and wait till the fad wears off and prices drop to a realistic level. 

Edited by Cowpie

9 hours ago, redwngr said:

Pointless comparison.

It was not a comparison, it was a contrast.  The point being that the pickups are wildly overinflated in their pricing for what one actually is getting.

A recent video I was watching, some folks got a 2020 6.6L gasser 4x4 Crew with 6.5 bed.  They were towing around about 12K of trailer and Bobcat track loader.  They got the pickup for around $40K.  That is in line with the inflation adjusted price of $38K I paid for my 2015 2500 6.0.     It is  pretty hard to imagine that a Dmax version would be $37K more than what those folks paid for a 6.6L gasser  unless there are those who are drooling so much over it that they would be willing to pay that kind of price.  Dealers can spot those folks a mile away.

Edited by Cowpie

NADA is showing MSRP of $75,045 for a 2020 Denali Dmax CC.  Invoice of $69,962.   That is without any incentives applied.  You should be able to strike a better deal, unless you already agreed to the price.

Edited by Cowpie