Rasp and pinging ARH LT Headers with Borla ATAK?

I am installing ARH LT Headers with high flow cats y-pipe to Borla ATAK dual rear on my 2018 6.2 sierra crewcab short bed. Does anyone have this set up? How did you like the exhaust note vs the Borla ATAK itself? I am considering buying a 3.5 vibrant resonator to install at the same time but not sure how bad the pinging and rasp is on this set up. Sorry if in wrong topic 1st time post. 

Edited by BeerPwningTexan

I've seen videos on youtube with that set up.  It will be really loud.  Ive heard some people wanting to go back to a more mellow exhaust after headers.  I have a 2018 as well and would like headers to add to my borla touring and CAI plus dyno tune.  You worried about the warranty at all or don't care?  Don't know if I can wait 3 years.

I have listened to a ton of youbtube videos with different quality headsets. Just hard to tell depending on what the person used to record and headset I use. The ATAK is really nice there is no drone and quiet when cruising. Warranty wise I couldn't wait best years of my truck are in the first 50k miles lol. I have Borla exhaust, AFE Cai, and Pat G tune and made 385rwhp with 425rwtq. This saturday I will have my headers and E85 conversion kit installed. I have taken truck to get transmission serviced for shuttering and had no complaints about it being tuned with intake nor have I ever read someone being denied. Now if you blow a motor with nitrous, turbo or blower lol yeah I am pretty sure that kills drivetrain warranty. I posted about rasp because I rather have it all done at one time while in shop rather going back and forth since my daily driver. 

I've got the Borla Atak with stock headers. To me it's the perfect balance of 'throat' without being absurdly loud. Quiet at cruise speed, no drone. I've got an aFe cai and a DiabLew tune, added a nice rumble under the hood. 

I'm guessing the new headers will make it pretty loud when paired with the Borla Atak. If that's what you want though, have at it.

Yeah I love the ATAK on stock manifolds but I am wanting more out of my truck. With LT headers I know it will change the tone so trying to figure how bad does the ATAK's tone change. I don't mind it louder I just want it to be throaty and clean. Trying to see who has achieved this with out all the rasp. Not wanting to switch exhaust either for the amount I paid. 

10 hours ago, BeerPwningTexan said:

Yeah I love the ATAK on stock manifolds but I am wanting more out of my truck. With LT headers I know it will change the tone so trying to figure how bad does the ATAK's tone change. I don't mind it louder I just want it to be throaty and clean. Trying to see who has achieved this with out all the rasp. Not wanting to switch exhaust either for the amount I paid. 

Definitely following this thread. Aftermarket headers are on my list of possible upgrades, but I'm in the same boat as you. I don't want to do all the work and spend a nice chunk of change just to have a sound I'm not happy with. Good luck in your search.

On 8/16/2019 at 10:20 AM, midwestdenaliguy said:

Definitely following this thread. Aftermarket headers are on my list of possible upgrades, but I'm in the same boat as you. I don't want to do all the work and spend a nice chunk of change just to have a sound I'm not happy with. Good luck in your search.

Yeah after putting headers on with high flow cats my truck is really loud. Still have mixed feeling if I like it. My worries where cab drone but I have none when cruising. Cold start is really obnoxiously loud and I live in a suburb neighborhood and inside the house it doesn't seem too much more than before but outside sheesh...... Neighbor said it doesn't wake him up so no worries there. Truck is really really raspy when half throttle for passing gear it sounds raspy and like crap. W.O.T. it sounds really good like nascar and screams but I feel like for a truck it doesn't match my speed. If in a camaro or corvette all good. But in a truck LAUNCHED IN 4HI, FULL THROTTLE, CANDLES LIT! and still 25mph under the speed limit lol. I ordered a vibrant resonator to put just behind the Y-pipe and see if that helps tone it down. Hopefully I can get it near what it sounded like before the headers with just the ATAK. If not I may just sell exhaust and get the Borla Touring. Any suggestions from experience would be greatly appreciated.    

1 hour ago, BeerPwningTexan said:

Yeah after putting headers on with high flow cats my truck is really loud. Still have mixed feeling if I like it. My worries where cab drone but I have none when cruising. Cold start is really obnoxiously loud and I live in a suburb neighborhood and inside the house it doesn't seem too much more than before but outside sheesh...... Neighbor said it doesn't wake him up so no worries there. Truck is really really raspy when half throttle for passing gear it sounds raspy and like crap. W.O.T. it sounds really good like nascar and screams but I feel like for a truck it doesn't match my speed. If in a camaro or corvette all good. But in a truck LAUNCHED IN 4HI, FULL THROTTLE, CANDLES LIT! and still 25mph under the speed limit lol. I ordered a vibrant resonator to put just behind the Y-pipe and see if that helps tone it down. Hopefully I can get it near what it sounded like before the headers with just the ATAK. If not I may just sell exhaust and get the Borla Touring. Any suggestions from experience would be greatly appreciated.    

Appreciate the update - looks like I won't be adding LTH. I don't judge guys for having loud trucks, it's just not my thing. I like the right balance of throat without being crazy loud - hence why I only went with the Atak install. Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to install LTH and not have them be too loud. This guy is looking to solve the same problem you have (he's got a 6.2) and someone mentioned Black Widow makes a muffler that can help control some of the sound. Might want to call them and see what they say.

Black Widow Exhaust - https://blackwidowexhaust.com

Edited by midwestdenaliguy

1 hour ago, mikedeezxxx said:

Anyone expecting a quite exhaust with long tube headers is dreaming. If you just want loud exhaust at wot, go with the Borla Atak and be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I never said anything about expecting to achieving a quiet exhaust. I bought the ATAK for it's sound and aggressiveness. I knew and expected it to be loud but I am also trying to have it sound clean through all gears since it's a daily driver. Sounds good wot but man passing 1/3 throttle sounds poppy and raspy. Kinda like a raspy import but with 8 cylinders. There are ways to achieve a clean sound. I had borla, kooks with off road pipe on my 2000 camaro and it sounded good. That was a 5.7 ls1 and I am new to 6.2's . Whole reason I chimed in on forums for peoples experiences and methods of how they controlled the rasp. Not trying to have my 50k + daily driver sound crappy until I WOT.

I put on ARH with catted Y pipe and a Magnaflow 12857 muffler to 3in tips. The front of the truck was louder than the back. I ended up cuttimg off the Magnaflow and going with a Jones XL muffler dumped over the axle to a single 5in tip. Definitely sounds better.

3 hours ago, cpaul55 said:

I put on ARH with catted Y pipe and a Magnaflow 12857 muffler to 3in tips. The front of the truck was louder than the back. I ended up cuttimg off the Magnaflow and going with a Jones XL muffler dumped over the axle to a single 5in tip. Definitely sounds better.

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely look into Jones XL if I don't like the way the resonator sounds. 

My older truck had duel 3 inch exhaust and headers. It was too loud. I added short glass packs at the end of the tail pipes. If that didn’t work I would have just went longer on the glass packs. I was doing that for decades. Funny how that’s what GM does now rather than a overly restricted muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk